The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why did you choose your back?

RayM

Yevgeny, thank you for the note. It sounds like you had some tough choices along the way and had lots to think about too. Thank you.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy, Thank you, yes, I'm already sending notes back and forth with Lance. Just sent one off to him moments ago, actually.

Jack, thanks too for your thoughts on this. I'm finding the "minute" differences to be the one's I'm having the most difficulty with to tell you the truth. I'm just not keen on making a wrong decision on this one! By the time I'm done with acquiring the back this will be a substantial chunk of change invested in all of this and I'd have to hurt myself if I screw this up.
Ray this is more like the difference between the Kodak and Dalsa. Kodak i can speak more about since both the DMR and M8 comes from Kodak. this is a really easy call Kodachrome is the bottom line in look . Nice rich color great saturation and tone. Great detail also. I think the Dalsa maybe smoother looking in tone and sometime you will hear fashion shooters prefer it more but these are really small differences also. i would not concern myself too much about this because some of this can be done in post.

BJNY

Kodak i can speak more about since both the DMR and M8 comes from Kodak. this is a really easy call Kodachrome is the bottom line in look . Nice rich color great saturation and tone.
The Kodachrome look is attributable to your Leica glass perhaps.

I've viewed hundreds of thousands of files captured with Kodak sensors,
and not once did I think of the Kodachrome palette/look.

EH21

Hi, Thierry,

Can you tell me more about the "45° modified for the Hy6"? Is this the normal Hy6 45° finder we see in the recent photograph you posted of the Hy6 and all the lenses, or is this a 6008 finder modified to work on the Hy6?

If the latter, where can I find more information about this modification?

Thanks,
Brad

Brad,
The base of the Rollei finders are keyed on the bottom to tell the camera which is fitted but otherwise modular and come off with 4 screws. The camera then knows whether to reverse the information display or not so you can read it with whatever finder or WLF you have fitted. I'll bet you a jumpdrive that all that is being changed from the 6000 series to the Hy6 is the base...and if that were the case then one would be able to do this exchange on their own in a couple minutes.
Eric

N

Natasa Stojsic

Marc,

There are a lot of Phase owners,that would love to stick their back on a Hy6.

Cheers,
Willem.
I agree I am one of them:thumbup: Although not yet the owner of Hy6 I love the concept to be able to have one system and use Rollei/Sinar Lenses on ALPA Cameras etc., in addition to that you can use SINAR DB's with almost every camera on the market if you happen to change your mind or you simply like to Mix different looks/quality:thumbup:

However, I didn't buy my MFDB system because of an idea even though I really like Hy6. As I said before.... I made my purchase based on convenience!!!

I don't think potential buyers of Hasselblad/Leaf/Sinar/Phase need scientific approach in terms of quality, all of us know they all come more or less with a enough sodium to hurt our cardiovascular muscles:p

For me it was simple..... before you make your FINAL DECISION, ask around where can you rent and what make MFDB for a job? Let it be any corner of the world..... Your answer is more likely to be PHASE!!! So in that respect, you are more than safe with your investment! At least for me and number of my friends, we truly felt at peace with our investments:thumbup:

Last edited:
N

Natasa Stojsic

Now I use two Sinar backs : an eMotion 54LV and a Sinarback 54H on 3 platforms, ALPA + Sinar-M+Rolleiflex Hy6. 22mpx. is enough for me (now?).

Sorry for the long post.
Yevgeny, Russia

Yevgeny, let me repeat:

eMotion 54LV
Sinarback 54H

ALPA
Rolleiflex Hy6:
Sinar-M:thumbup:

You must be hiding your Nikon D3 or in future D3x somewhere... and you know why, right?:clap:

You got me started, I would love to have all of the above only with Phase at the moment!!!

I don't personally think you can get more complete and integrated going any other direction..... if anyone disagrees, please advice:thumbup:

Yevgeny, what about lenses for each system?

Last edited:

David Klepacki

You got me started, I would love to have all of the above only with Phase at the moment!!!

I don't personally think you can get more complete and integrated going any other direction..... if anyone disagrees, please advice:thumbup:
Hi Natasa,

Wow, I was starting to think Marc Williams was making a great case for the Hasselblad system, but it is good to now hear your opinions on the benefits of the Phase.

Thanks!

David

David Klepacki

Humor is healthy:thumbup: So at least you tried, better luck next time:ROTFL:
Sure thing....So, are you really happy with your Phase back system? or, given the right opportunity, would you trade it in for a Sinar back system? In fact, let's say that you would not lose even one euro in a hypothetical trade/transaction, which back/system would you prefer?

David

PeterA

My closed system H3D11-39 back works nicely on my Alpa bodies and any view camera I care to use. I dont need any more 'open' than this - maybe I m too closed minded. LOL

woodyspedden

I have been agonizing over this situation for weeks.

Obviously finding a 39 Mpx back is a simple exercise. If you like the Kodak sensor look you can get the exact same sensor in both the Phase P45+ or the Hassy H3D II. Or you can get comparable resolution from the Dalsa sensors in the Aptus and eMotion backs. All are very comparable performers.

There are a number of very positive attributes of the H3D system not the least of which is the ability to delay the shutter until the mirror has stopped vibrating and you can still work in low light. Love this feature! Other features to be praised are each back individually calibrated to the body for absolute most accurate focus. This is a real world issue which needs to be addressed. And finally the ergonomics........for me the H3D is worlds ahead of Mamiya in this regard. Downside to Hassy is the closed system approach. If you want to use your back on other cameras, e.g. Horseman or Alpa for stitched panos you are basically hosed. And based on the way things are implemented you can't even use the system for your FE lenses! A real shame for those of us who believe the Hassy 110 2.0 may be the best portrait lens out there. And to believe i can use it on my Mamiya.........go figure!

The Mamiya Phase approach allows the use of C CFE and FE lenses with little issue. I love this since these are some of my most favorite lenses ever. And you have access to the new up and coming Mamiya digital lenses as well as the entire arsenal of older lenses at very low prices. There is no reason to be concerned about the older Mamiya issues e.g. Auto Focus since the new AFD III D now uses three point auto focus with a much improved AF focus motor to get to the correct focus quickly. The new body from Phase (Mamiya) has resolved most of the old issues and is competitive with the best out there. It has a real system approach and doesn't just deal with "fixing" problems which have been long known.

I really think that Hasselblad has gone a bit wrong with the closed system approach. It is hard to understand how this benefits the customer so most folks believe it is only good for the Company. Not a good position to find yourself in! Think about it!

So at the end of the day I chose the Mamiya/Phase approach. I have no images as yet so it remains to be seen if my analysis holds up in the real world environment. I can only say that I was super impressed with what I got with my old Mamiya 7II as I was with my older Hassy 503 system. Both companies are excellent performers so it is up to your priorities to decide if you can assume which is the best for you in this modern digital world.

I will continue to post both images and impressions about the performance of the Mamiya Phase system. There is no simple way to analyze the best of the best in these regards. But I will do my best to provide guidance for people moving in the same direction. God bless all of you who will spend in excess of $34K to get into this realm.

Look forward to continuing this discussion when I have real results to share

Best

Woody

One thing I want to say for sure. Both Lance Schad at Capture integration and Steve Hendrix at PPR are amazing dealers. They work really hard for you and are tremendously dedicated to helping you towards your personal best solutions based on how you describe your problems. Wonderfully knowledgeable and focussed on results for you. Same for Sean Cranor at Camera West in Monterey CA. Trust these guys to do the right thing for you. I wish I had always dealt with dealers this good

PeterA

Woody - I use my H3D11-39 on my Alpa. I dont understand why people think you cant..yes you need to use the external hard drive to power the back. I like using this hardrive - gives me 100 gig worth of storage and fits in my pocket. In fact I pretty much use the hard Still drive permanently even with H body shooting...much faster speeds than any CF card.
Still - if people want to think of H series as closed - so be it.Just another example of internet forum BS and mythology.Wont change my image capture workflow one iota! LOL

Pete

David K

Workshop Member
Woody,
Best of luck with your new back... I'm glad you'll still be able to use the Hassy 110 f/2 which I know you love so well.

T

thsinar

hi Brad,

The 45° prism finder you have seen in my snapshots of the Hy6 camera system is the 6008 finder, modified mechanically to fit the Hy6: so yes, it is both the one you see in the photograph posted as well as the 6008 modified one.

This 45° has been released and does ship, though there might be some waiting time since we have quite some backorders.

The 45° prismfinder (as well as the 90°) do allow that one can use the revolving adapter and revolve the back without taking it away.

Addendum: Furthermore, the 45° Prism Finder can be put over the focusing screen not only in the usual way looking to the rear of the camera, it can also be mounted in any of the four directions: looking to the rear, to the left, to the right and even to the front.

Best regards,
Thierry

Hi, Thierry,

Can you tell me more about the "45° modified for the Hy6"? Is this the normal Hy6 45° finder we see in the recent photograph you posted of the Hy6 and all the lenses, or is this a 6008 finder modified to work on the Hy6?

If the latter, where can I find more information about this modification?

Thanks,
Brad

Last edited:

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
. . . . Downside to Hassy is the closed system approach. If you want to use your back on other cameras, e.g. Horseman or Alpa for stitched panos you are basically hosed. . . .
I started a thread a bit back on using my Hasselblad 39 back on my Horseman. Look here. Bottom line: works great. I agree with PeterA that using the Imagebank is as much of a plus as a minus.

David K

Workshop Member
Thierry,
The ability to mount the 45 degree finder in any direction sounds pretty cool to me. Not something I'd use often but I've had several shoots where that would have come in very handy. I wonder how the image would look thru the finder if it's rotated 90 degrees...

BradleyGibson

Aha! That clears up my confusion, thank you!

Glad to hear the Hy6 45° finder is shipping! I've put in an order with my dealer for it. Let's see how long the backlog takes! :)

Out of curiosity, does the Hy6 prism finder look any different from the modified 6008 finder you have shown?

Best regards,
-Brad

hi Brad,

The 45° prism finder you have seen in my snapshots of the Hy6 camera system is the 6008 finder, modified mechanically to fit the Hy6: so yes, it is both the one you see in the photograph posted as well as the 6008 modified one.

This 45° has been released and does ship, though there might be some waiting time since we have quite some backorders.

The 45° prismfinder (as well as the 90°) do allow that one can use the revolving adapter and revolve the back without taking it away.

Addendum: Furthermore, the 45° Prism Finder can be put over the focusing screen not only in the usual way looking to the rear of the camera, it can also be mounted in any of the four directions: looking to the rear, to the left, to the right and even to the front.

Best regards,
Thierry