The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tripod and Head Reccomendations

tim driver

Ok so looking at this (Forgive me being naive but had previously though bogen / manfrotto were top tripods.

1. I think I am right in assuming that the ARCA (Swiss) mount is more or less standard across most of the main players.

2. The RRS L bracket allows for mounting both ways on the Arca Mount.

3 RRS and Gitzo legs seem to carry the majority of your kit and need to be looked at - Gitzo is much more commen in the UK so need to find a good dealer - question do any of you use center columns or tripods without center columns? I assume without gives stability but in the past all have had central columns.

5. Heads seem a much more personal question I know tthe weight I need to carry and the weightings , I still want to be able to use Hassleblad true focus and recompose quickly and locjk the head - so please keep the reccomendations for this type of work coming.

Tim

Christopher

I think it depends a little if in the end you want to use one ore two tripods. If it is only one the Gitzo 3 series is great, however for me to really carry it a lot it is to heavy and I prefer the 2 series and for other work I think the 5 series is even much better compared to the 3 series.

adamduckworth

Tim. You're right.. "abandon hope all ye who enter"

Where many dream of a high-end DSLR kit like Canon EOS 1DS or Nikon D3x on a Manfrotto carbon tripod with an 85mm f1.2/1.4 lens, once in the realm of medium format that's all seen as toy town stuff. And don't even start on Strobist stuff with Cactus triggers.

Suddenly it's a list of brand names many have never heard of. Arca Cube heads, Gitzo Systematic legs, Cambo, Schneinder, Phase One, Alpa, Rodenstock and more.

For me, I love my Gitzo Systematic 3540XLS legs but not the Gitzo ball head so much as it doesn't come with an Arca plate system. So I find the normal Gitzo plate twisting a bit on the bottom of the camera. I'm looking at buying an Arca monoball head (in UK from Warehouse Express or Robert White). Then you need a plate to match your camera.

Welcome to the bottomless pit of throwing money at your camera kit. When only the finest will do. It's addictive.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well the one thing not mentioned but really should be priority thinking is this at any given moment you may have upwards of 40 grand sitting on that tripod. It's something not to ignore. I regard tripods as never enough overkill

kdphotography

Tim. You're right.. "abandon hope all ye who enter"

Welcome to the bottomless pit of throwing money at your camera kit. When only the finest will do. It's addictive.
Ain't this the truth!

Tim, honestly---you could choose from any of the kits mentioned above and not go wrong.

T

tetsrfun

really should be priority thinking is this at any given moment you may have upwards of 40 grand sitting on that tripod.
If you carry that 40 grand over your shoulder on a Gitzo, get the safety plate. It's cheap insurance.

Steve

Godfrey

3 ... question do any of you use center columns or tripods without center columns? I assume without gives stability but in the past all have had central columns.
My Feisol CT3442 legs can be used with and without center column by exchanging the column mount for a flat plate mount for the head.

Without is steadier (and lighter) but I usually leave the center column fitted as it allows small elevation adjustments more easily than readjusting the leg extensions all the time. A fully extended column compromises stability a bit, but there's little loss if you're basically using the column for fine adjustments and don't extend it more than an inch or two.

That Burszynski head looks lovely, but remember that if you DON'T have an L-bracket of some kind you will not be able to do portrait oriented photos (unless you are working with square format or have a Pentax 645, which has tripod/adapter plate mounts on both bottom and side).

I considered buying the Kirk universal L-bracket, but it's darn bulky and fussy in use. The RRS L-brackets I've had for the Olympus E-5, Canon 10D and Pentax K10D are superb, I'm sure the one for the Hassel is too.

T

tetsrfun

Gitzo is much more commen in the UK so need to find a good dealer..
RRS has no dealer network and is direct buy form CA. (I have heard "rumors" of an RRS distributor in the EU I but can't find a real reference). You can download their 2011 catalog here:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/WebsiteInfo.aspx?fc=91

Steve

kdphotography

arashm

Sort of off topic
but I just noticed that Markins is now producing a dedicated "L" Bracket for the Hasselblad
H series.
(along side the D700 and 5D2)
if anyone is interested.
am

adamduckworth

This forum. Costing me more money...

Couldn't resist so ordered a Arca Swiss Z1 Dp with Quicklock yesterday from the ever so helpful Robert White. It just arrived, Xmas eve. Great service.

Ho, ho, ho and all that. It looks and feels very nice. Also bought a Kirk plate for my Nikon D3X, too. Also nice.

Wish I'd have invested in the Arca style heads years ago instead of messing with Manfrotto and Gitzo.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
This forum. Costing me more money...

Wish I'd have invested in the Arca style heads years ago instead of messing with Manfrotto and Gitzo.
Hee hee, another good job by GetDPI. :D

The last paragraph should be on a testimonial in every decent camera store that sells Manfrotto and other plates with handscrews on the bottom. Once you go over to Arca style plates, either made specifically for your camera body or bolted to your camera, there really is no going back to one of those other systems that unscrew or twist when you don't want them to and generally feel feeble by comparison. (To be fair, it's the plate/camera mount that lets them all down and not the head mount per se).

Vlad

I read this thread this morning and remembered to check B&H for the Arca Cube - and alas, it was in stock. So I ordered one and the GT3540XLS to boot.

David Schneider

Can't tell you about tripods since I'm still using some old Manfrotto I bought 15-18 years ago. But when I got my H3d2/39 and 4 lenses, I used the same head on my tripod and my studio camera stand, a Gitzo off-center head 1376M Quick Release, I used with my Canon gear. I love it. Fast, steady, works well. They've replaced that model with a new one and I'd buy that today. I love the off center head in the studio.

baudolino

I use a Gitzo GT3541LS with the Burzynski head (with the Hy6). Sometimes I also use a Berlebach Reporter with an old Arca Swiss B1 head.

P. Chong

Gitzo GT3541LS with Photoclam Multiflex head. On monopod, an old Benbo monopod with a Kangringpoche ballhead. Sometimes I wish I had the geared center column...makes it easier to adjust height, but am not sure if I can bear the compromise to stability it brings.

Shown above...fairly typical macro setup...2 extension tubes, HC2.8/80, but more typically HC4/120 Macro, on Manfrotto macro rail, head, tripod. Pocketwizard flash trigger.

kdphotography

Peter---bubble-wrap still on the tripod legs? My kids would have had a field day popping all those bubbles! :ROTFL: