The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tripod and Head Reccomendations

tim driver

As some of you are aware I recently got Hasselblad H4d and have also got the 50-110 zoom lens - I am looking for some recommendations for a suitable tripod and head to hold this outfit steady.

I found myself last night wanting an 8 second exposure for the background, lighting people to f8 with quadras ith 20 degree grids in the foreground and wanting to use true focus and found the use of an old manfrotto junior head somewhat limiting. Then one of the leg joints started moving (Its an old tripod)

So I think its time to buy a new one - The legs need to be reasonably solid and stable whilst being light enough to carry as for heads your reccomendations please

Tim

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
My recommended Medium Format tripod and head combination is:
Heavy duty: Gitzo GT3541XLS
Light Duty/Travel: Gitzo GT2541L

My favorite head bar none is the Arca Cube.
I am eagerly waiting to try their new geared head but have not yet been able to get my hands on one.

stephengilbert

There have been several prior discussions of this, most recently last week: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21959&highlight=tripod

I suspect that tripods are like cameras: we become fans of a particular brand. I have a Really Right Stuff TVC-33, and use it with their leveling base and panning clamp; no head. See http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=TripodsRRS&key=cat

RRS makes very nice products, and provides good service if you have questions or need support. In addition to their own products--head, clamps, etc--they sell Gitzo tripods. Their website has a lot of information, and is worth looking at, whatever you end up buying.

Edit: I was going to say that you'll probably be told to look at the Arca Cube. In the time it took to write my post, it was done. I'm not sure that the Cube is the best choice for photographing people, but I've never used one.

Godfrey

My "hasselblad" tripod was a set of Manfrotto CF legs (can't remember the model at the moment, but the current ones of similar weight/elevation spec would be the 055 series) and a Kirk Photo BH-1 head with RRS lever action clamp. I equipped my Hassels (903SWC and 500C/M) with bolted on plates to replace their original mounting feet). This was a very stable setup and handled the 150mm and 210mm lenses very nicely while not costing thousands of dollars.

I upgraded those legs to a set of Feisol CT3442 Tournament legs a few years ago. Lighter, more load carrying capacity, more elevation although a little slower operating in the field. I've also sold that head in preference to the lighter Acratech Ultimate Ball Head and Markins Q3 Emilié since my current gear is lighter weight and less prone to mirror induced vibration. I use a set of the lighter, smaller Manfrotto 190 series CF legs as well for less demanding situations. Both of these tripod setups are good field kits and would work fine with the Hassels if you're not using overly long or heavy lenses.

The Manfrotto CF190pro3 + Markins Q3 assembly weighs 3lbs 2oz complete.
The Feisol CT3442 + Acratech UB assembly weighs 4lbs 3oz complete in its carry bag.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Arca z1 head is IMHO the best ballhead on the market bar none except the cube. I tried pretty much all the heavy heads and this one is rated at 130 pounds it's that strong. Never seen any other head rated that high. At least to my knowledge. Frankly these last for years and well worth the money to invest in the high end realm. Yea the initial bite may hurt but shooting MF digital there is no room for movement. 30 second exposures will show any weakness in your setup. Legs I use Gitzo XL 3541 series. Again another rock and most folks that come to our workshops shooting MF use nothing less. If your doing any long exposures don't cut corners here.

kdphotography

If RRS had offered their TVC tripods earlier, I would have considered it. I use a Gitzo 5541LS and Arca Cube, which is great in and out of sutdio, but would not recommend the Cube for people. I use an old Cullman Titan CT100 and ballhead for groups/people---and have never seen a tripod set up as quickly.

I'd take a close look at Gitzo and RRS for tripod legs. RRS has similar specs to the Gitzo, but look at the weight, which is much lighter and a big plus.

T

tetsrfun

I have a Really Right Stuff TVC-33, and use it with their leveling base and panning clamp; no head.
My support system evolved into the same configuration. Main advantage for general landscape photography is simplicity and ease of very accurate leveling.

Steve

tim driver

Wow never thought I would get so many answers so quickly obviously people are very proud of their kit - So it looks like I need to be viewing Arca, Gitzo and RRS ranges

Dustbak

I don't know the Arca z1 however I use the Burszynski head. It would be nice to compare the 2 because in my view there is no better ball head than the Burszynski, especially when used with something like the GT3541XLS without center colom. The head falls really nicely in between the legs.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I would love to try one but I think they are very hard to get in the US but I do hear they are very good.

Dustbak

I would love to try one but I think they are very hard to get in the US but I do hear they are very good.
You need to order them from Germany and have Isarphoto send it to you. I think if you really want one mr. Klaus Bothe has no problem sending it to you. I can recommend Isarphoto. The head also used to be pretty inexpensive.

Here an image with the Burzsynski head on top of the GT3540XLS. The panorama clamp on top is the RRS PCL-1.

stephengilbert

"You need to order them from Germany and have Isarphoto send it to you."

If you don't mind paying $200 for shipping to the U.S.

Dustbak

I don't know if it is that expensive to ship to the US. If I would be shipping from here it would cost you 30USD and it will be insured up to 500USD.

I could start a little business if shipping from Germany is that much more expensive :) In general most shipping has become quite reasonable. I have stuff sent to me from many different regions without getting into shellshock over shipping costs.

On most items that are imported I get only charged VAT which is refunded. On rare occassions I get charged customs duty which is deductible instead of refunded. The administration costs are usually no more than 13USD. (I work in euros but have converted these roughly into USD in this post).

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
My recommended Medium Format tripod and head combination is:
Heavy duty: Gitzo GT3541XLS
Light Duty/Travel: Gitzo GT2541L

My favorite head bar none is the Arca Cube.
I am eagerly waiting to try their new geared head but have not yet been able to get my hands on one.
+1

Exactly what I use as well.