The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S2 Impressions: A year later.

woodyspedden

Oh Woody, we need to talk !!!!

Is there some setting I am missing to use just straight TTL with the SF58? All other mode settings work ... TTL/HSS, M, A ... but I can't get just TTL to fire.

I am using Manual camera exposure mode and setting various shutter speeds below the top sync speed of 1/125th ... 1/30th, 1/60th ... no joy. Tried A exposure mode (1/60th) ... no joy. TTL fires on my M9 so it isn't the flash unit.

My main concern now is the shutter locking up. That is a big no-no for the wedding work I do.

BTW it is 12/2010 ... and the S2 has the latest firmware which is pretty recent ... this month I think ... it came installed in the camera.

Thanks,

-Marc
Marc

The latest firmware is 1.0.0.24. It was just released on December 22nd so may not be in your particular camera. Check it out and if need be, download the latest from Leica

Happy New Year

Woody

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy, new site looks good. I have a few "Art Director" comments I'll PM to you ... once an Art Director, always an Art Director :ROTFL:

Have to agree that the S2 isn't going to "Smoke Phase or Hassey", and for sure the playing field is pretty competitive with users that have stiff standards. IMO, if Leica had tried to play the same ergo game, they would have been still-born. The attraction is the form, a reasonable expectation of great glass, and the possibility of narrowing down to a simpler set for a wider range of applications.

For sure it is all a PITA to do this if you already are into something else. However, I'm sort of at a milestone in my life and it's now or never. We'll see.

-Marc
Marc first OT read your comments and like the ideas a lot and it ran through my brain also so will make those adjustments very easy to do actually. Thanks i needed another sharp eye on that and was hoping you give me a little Art Director guidance. Hard editing your own stuff.

I know your at that milestone and I can see it fit you in several ways. I also did not see earlier how it would fit you in the combination again to your existing gear but yes I can see it taking on the role over the Sony with a little more punch. LOL

Some punch. LOL

fotografz

Marc

The latest firmware is 1.0.0.24. It was just released on December 22nd so may not be in your particular camera. Check it out and if need be, download the latest from Leica

Happy New Year

Woody
Yep, that's the one in the camera.

And I checked that the lens firmware is up to date also.

I'm shooting a job tomorrow AM and tomorrow evening. I'm not 100% in tune with the S2 operational work flow yet so I'll have my Sony with me also (which I could operate with a blindfold on after using for so long. :ROTFL:

Happy New Year back at ya!

-Marc

fotografz

Hey Marc

When I first got my SF 58 I had the same problem. However David Farkas instructed me that the TTL feature does not work with the S2. One must work with the TTL HS. I do and it works great for me.

I just installed the new firmware (1.00.24) and some of the differences are pretty amazing to me. I was wrong about the AF issues as I had predicted that there would be lens tweaking a la the D3X. No such thing. The lenses are calibrated to the body (as you said in one of your posts) and the issue was truly the size of the spot in the center sensor. I understand now that the spot size is very different at close range than at infinity and now both seem (to me) to be pretty much spot on. No pun intended!

I had truly been suffering from the performance of the AF system and now I am thrilled! Seems to me the S2 is now what it was originally intended to be.

It is also great to be able to use lossless compression (40mb files instead of 70mb).

I also really like the new histogram and the ability to set both the black and white clipping levels in software.

All in all, some fundamentally necessary improvements and a lot of neat feature adds.

Now if I could only get my 120 Makro.

Woody
Woody, I think the shutter lock issue I experienced may be (not sure) because the camera reached it's buffer limit ... I was rapid shooting it like a 35mm DSLR when it happened. So, if that was the issue, then the lossless compressed addition in the new firmware should be the answer to those type shooting conditions.:thumbs:

Thanks,

-Marc

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Woody, I think the shutter lock issue I experienced may be (not sure) because the camera reached it's buffer limit ... I was rapid shooting it like a 35mm DSLR when it happened. So, if that was the issue, then the lossless compressed addition in the new firmware should be the answer to those type shooting conditions.:thumbs:

Thanks,

-Marc
Marc,

With uncompressed DNG, the S2 buffer limit is around 9 frames. With compressed DNG that jumps to around 16-19 shots (depending on content as the compressibility changes shot-to-shot). Card speed is crucial as well. Use 600x cards (90MB/s) and you will see a dramatic performance difference.

The compression is totally lossless so there is no reason not to use it 100% of the time.

David

David K

Workshop Member
Marc,

With compressed DNG that jumps to around 16-19 shots (depending on content as the compressibility changes shot-to-shot). Card speed is crucial as well. Use 600x cards (90MB/s) and you will see a dramatic performance difference.

The compression is totally lossless so there is no reason not to use it 100% of the time.
David
That's my real world experience too. I get about 16 shots before the camera starts to slow down a bit. Haven't tested for the limit as this will cover me.

fotografz

Here's my final conclusion:

The S2 kit is being returned immediately.

Sad to say that 3 shots into my paying job this AM the S2P shutter button locked up ... for the third time. I was stunned. (3 frames is not a buffer issue as I speculated earlier).

I walked 1/4 mile to the location in 20º weather, and my clients stood there freezing their behinds off while I fiddled for a few minutes after it locked up, then swapped out to my Sony A900 which worked flawlessly for the remaining couple of hours ... in and out of the cold.

What I had not mentioned here before is that this is the second S2P body ... the first one had to be exchanged for a brand new one fresh from Germany ... which then failed.

Not angry, just disappointed because I really like the handling and all that. Leica simply needs to up their game in quality control. This camera should never have reached my hands.

Twice burned is all I give to any tool before losing trust in it ... even if a certified perfect one came my way, that nagging distrust is hard to shake. No thanks, I'm done.

Gear testing and web-blab is one thing ... but screw with my actual shooting more than once and it's history.

I just have to soldier on with my trusty H4D/40 ;) ... which I swear has a smirk on its face :ROTFL:.

Trust is earned not bought.

Thanks to all who helped, and best wishes to all the lucky folks with a S2 that works for them :thumbup:

-Marc

David K

Workshop Member
Oh boy, Marc... what a bummer. But as Jack said, better to find out now than later. I have no doubt this report will find it's way to Leica and, hopefully, they will find the source of the problem. Knock on wood I've had no such issues yet. At least you've got your trusty Hasselblad and Sony kits and it's not like you were actively unhappy with them.

arashm

Oh Boy is right
and I thought you were on home stretch!
Sounds like it wasn't a super critical job and you had a back up which is what counts.
Must say, very disappointing.
Thank you for all your input and sharing with us.
am

fotografz

I hate sharing bad news ... it was really a bummer because the light was terrific and the S2 files would have sung ... just like the Sony files are singing.

If this had been my Hasselblad I would've shared the bad news also. None of us needs this kind of experience from any of these pricey tools.

Gotta run ... another shoot this PM ... sadly without the S2.

Thanks all,

-Marc

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Sorry to hear that Marc. I was hoping that it'd all work out for you. As David mentioned, go with what you can trust. If you can't trust your kit, you're up the creek.

I hate to hear this Marc. I am puzzled as I have never experienced the problem you have encountered (now on two bodies). It's really a shame for you, Leica and the S2 because I know you enjoyed using the camera. The reality is that trust in your equipment is everything and that experience is difficult if not impossible to regain trust.

Wait a minute. I just remembered a problem I had a couple months ago where my S2 would not do anything I wanted sometimes and other times worked fine. It was really bizarre. Based on my experience with other precision electronics, I suspected an electrical problem. Fortunately, I was right. David Farkas sent me a new battery and all was good and has been since.

Marc, have you used the same battery with both bodies by chance?

fotografz

I hate to hear this Marc. I am puzzled as I have never experienced the problem you have encountered (now on two bodies). It's really a shame for you, Leica and the S2 because I know you enjoyed using the camera. The reality is that trust in your equipment is everything and that experience is difficult if not impossible to regain trust.

Wait a minute. I just remembered a problem I had a couple months ago where my S2 would not do anything I wanted sometimes and other times worked fine. It was really bizarre. Based on my experience with other precision electronics, I suspected an electrical problem. Fortunately, I was right. David Farkas sent me a new battery and all was good and has been since.

Marc, have you used the same battery with both bodies by chance?
Don't think so, I have two batteries, but I didn't track which was which when the problem occurred.

The first camera had a different issue. The shutter lock has only happened on the second S2.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I hate sharing bad news ... it was really a bummer because the light was terrific and the S2 files would have sung ... just like the Sony files are singing.

If this had been my Hasselblad I would've shared the bad news also. None of us needs this kind of experience from any of these pricey tools.

Gotta run ... another shoot this PM ... sadly without the S2.

Thanks all,

-Marc
I am really sorry to hear that Marc, especially I had very high expectations from the S system myself!

It is a shame that these things happen at such a price tag. My reaction would be exactly the same, had to do things like that several times in my life and never was shy doing it, even if it was on my own cost.

But I am really grateful you went through that exercise and shared with us here, as it makes my future decisions much easier - stay with Hasselblad and do occasionally an upgrade to the H4D60 instead of swapping systems from Hasselblad H system to an obviously not mature Leica S system.

Plus the H4D can do things the S2 never will be capable of doing - eg. TF.

Enjoy your H4D40 and share with us about your future steps to an H4D60.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Marc and I have been sharing some PM's about what is going on and it comes down to a system maturity level to me and really a shame for him and Leica as well.

johnnygoesdigital

Marc,

Your generosity in sharing this saga is much appreciated, I too, had a similar experience with the H4D. This camera (S2), is continuing to evolve as any new model should, and perhaps in a year it will start to gain a more trusted following. Perhaps if one searches the earlier progression of Hasselblad they'll find similarities.

Arif

Here's my final conclusion:

The S2 kit is being returned immediately.

-Marc
Marc,
Sorry to hear the S2 did not work out for you. I am not sure if in Japan, the QC was more comprehensive since the Japanese customers are extremely demanding. I will count myself among the lucky ones who have not had issues.

Good luck with the Sony and H4D. Please let me know if you ever visit my neck of the woods.

Arif
http://blog.arifiqball.com
www.arifiqball.com

fotografz

Marc,
Sorry to hear the S2 did not work out for you. I am not sure if in Japan, the QC was more comprehensive since the Japanese customers are extremely demanding. I will count myself among the lucky ones who have not had issues.

Good luck with the Sony and H4D. Please let me know if you ever visit my neck of the woods.

Arif
http://blog.arifiqball.com
www.arifiqball.com
I would LOVE to visit your neck of the woods some day!

As to the Leica S2, perhaps we'll see what another year brings. All my best to Leica in their quest.

Now where the heck is my H4D/60 ... ;)

-Marc