The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens options for my new H3Dii-31

Dolce Moda

Hey everyone!

I want to get a lens for my new camera. I shoot primarily beauty work. I was using a Hasselblad 150mm CFI & Canon 180mm/3.5L Macro for my beauty with my old cameras (553ELX/Phase One P30/1ds Mark III)

I have heard good things about the HC 100/2.2 ... but I am concerned about it being too short. I think I want to stay away from the HC 120 Makro. I find that shooting with macro lenses.... the depth of field can be a little tricky. I have had problems in the past where the the focus locked on to the wrong eye or the hair ... making what would have been a great shot , unusable due to shallow depth of field. I am sure the problem is worse on MFD.

So that leaves my contenders: a) 100/2.2 HC with 1.7 tc
b) 150/3.2 HC
c) 210/4 HC

Any advice?

symbolphoto

I can only speak to the 100 2.2, i love it and think it's one of the best ever made by Hasselblad. The colors, bokeh both come out fantastic. I use it on the H3DII-31, and it certainly does have quite thin DOF. But if you shoot with strobes, this becomes less of an issue. Also if you keep the ambient bright you can also avoid the issue.

I have some shots in my flickr taken with it. Check them out.

David Schneider

I have the 100, 150, and 210 with my H3d2-39. It's funny, but with dslr I don't do too much with normal lens in my studio, but I find I can use 100 for just about everything. If you are only talking about getting one lens, then I'd go with the 100. If you have another lens, say an 80mm, then I'd probably suggest 210 if you have room to move in a studio setting and power to get aperture up so you have some dof. On the other hand, the 150 is a bit more versatile than 210 if you are moving from, say, 3/4 pose to headshot. No right or wrong, but difference in style.

fotografz

I have them all including the 300. The 100 is my most used lens but the 45-90 is giving it a run for it's money.

I'd suggest the 100 and 1.7X, or the 150 and 1.7X ... both retain AF with the extender mounted.

If you decide on the 150 try to get the "N" version.

-Marc

Dolce Moda

The camera comes with the 80mm already. I think I will get the 100 and the 1.7X

I can rent the other lenses if I want to try them out... in the meantime. The 100 is not available in the rental pool. From everything I have read so far , it seems to be the lens everyone raves about.

Thanks guys! Merry Christmas to you all!