The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF street shooter pack?

jlm

Workshop Member
there is a lot to be said for a waist level finder for people shooting, a la Avedon, though I think he used a rollie; a 503/CFV/80mm is a nice package for that

Last edited:

PeterA

I use an Alpa 12WA - because I think the handles are sexy ( and gives you better handholding ability at slower shutter speeds) I am continually amazed at how slow in terms of shutter speed one can go down to and still get super sharp shots. You have no mirror slap - and effectively no sound when you make the shot. My Leica stuff sounds like a rifle shot in comparison!

The Schneider 35 is pretty good too. Re focus - umm the hyperfocal capability of these lenses is awesome...remember that you are going to shoot between F8-11 to get the most out of the resolving power of the lenses. Look up a DOF table and you will see what I mean. For trick shots I sometimes use the Schneider 24.

Mated to a high megapixel MFD back - your ability to crop while retaining useful file size is another benefit. Finally - the Alpa looks so retro deluxo and so NOT SLR paparazzi..that people ignore what you are doing apart from inquisitiveness about the sexy machine.

It is by far and away the most beautiful and perfect system for pure photography - no bells and whistles no auto anything - just your eye. I am now playing with my trusty Alpa and my H3D11-39 back mated to a the Hasselblad hard drive which powers the back ( when off H camera body) not as much of a hassle as I first thought = and loads of storage capability @ 100 gigs of firewire speed.

A Phase One back works for the Alpa - as battery and storage is in body ( albeit whimpy CFcard capacities which a few hours of walking and shooting means you need lots) the only problem with Phase One back is you need a wake-up cable on the Alpa - no big deal. The Leaf back always bugged me with its battery hanging down blow teh back was inconvenient location for Alpa use - but that is real nitpicking.
The one limitation of the Alpa for street use is it is really a wide angle shooting device - even a 47mm lens significantly increases difficuty of guesstimating focus.

Graham Mitchell

I can see how the Alpa would be relatively easy to focus for landscapes, but how would you focus quickly in street scenes and spontaneous people shots? By relying on the focal distance indicator? Seems challenging to say the least.

N

Natasa Stojsic

Your right i could simply buy the SW I think it is or one of there other Frames let's call it and use the lenses on any of them, so yes there is some advantage there to. Darn stuff is expensive . Okay my little secret thought is not buy that viewfinder at 1200 dollars . But the Hot shoe attachment for around 138 or 160 dollars than revert back to the M8 here and use the externals finders for that , much smaller and you could use a leica 21,24,28 finder or the finder for the Wate lens . Which is the Tri-elmar 16,18,21= WATE or a Zeiss finder my favorite . So you can save a whole bunch of money on just using these finders instead and there much smaller. Now Alpa does seem to sell a plate for the back end. I say seem because not sure if it will fit on your camera plate to protect the back of the lens when the back is on your main body like the Mamiya . The Alpha will accept Phase, Hassy and Contax mount backs . Not sure on Leaf or Sinar though
Before they only had option to shift, now I hear they are bringing (perhaps they already have) tilt-shift adapter for their Frames/Cameras! So, Big YES at least for me with regards to TC/39mp Leica:thumbup: If you particularly need shift you could go for either of these Frames/Cameras but TC is really small and very convenient entry level + the only small PRO interchangeable walk-around 39mp/etc. Camera:thumbup:

Again, I have to say the ONLY small PRO interchangeable walk-around camera to let me use ALL or one of these Rollei/Schneider/Carl Zeiss/Hy6 Lenses if my heart beat starts pumping more blood than usual:p:p:p and I don't have to change platforms nor Digital Backs etc. So, YES... I can say I feel more than comfortable with that :thumbup:

harmsr

Workshop Member
My issue with the Alpa is (as I understand it) that is basically just a frame.

You get no metering and no auto-focus. Your focus is only guess focus based on your range estimate and aperture setting.

Personally, I still think the Mamiya/Phase P30+ is a more user friendly option that provides a lot more flexability.

You basically get a camera body & 80 lens with the Phase back for very little money and used Mamiya 45 & 150 lenses are very cheap. This is actually more economical also than the Alpa for this use.

Best,

Ray

BJNY

Again, I have to say the ONLY small PRO interchangeable walk-around camera to let me use ALL or one of these Rollei/Schneider/Carl Zeiss/Hy6 Lenses if my heart beat starts pumping more blood than usual:p:p:p and I don't have to change platforms nor Digital Backs etc. So, YES... I can say I feel more than comfortable with that :thumbup:
To use the Rollei-mount lenses (Schneider/Zeiss) on an Alpa or view camera, etc.
a battery-powered Lens Control S (white, pictured at right) is necessary.

Last edited:

BJNY

there is a lot to be said for a waist level finder for people shooting, a la Avedon, though I think he used a rollie; a 503/CFV/80mm is a nice package for that
Using a CFV, a 60mm lens would match the FOV of the Rolleiflex TLR's 80mm lens.

BJNY

I am now playing with my trusty Alpa and my H3D11-39 back mated to a the Hasselblad hard drive which powers the back ( when off H camera body) not as much of a hassle as I first thought = and loads of storage capability @ 100 gigs of firewire speed.
I'd be willing to put up with an Image Bank if it would have a built-in screen for viewing (like an Epson P-5000).

A Phase One back works for the Alpa - as battery and storage is in body ( albeit whimpy CFcard capacities which a few hours of walking and shooting means you need lots).
How many captures do you expect to make in one outing?

N

Natasa Stojsic

I can see how the Alpa would be relatively easy to focus for landscapes, but how would you focus quickly in street scenes and spontaneous people shots? By relying on the focal distance indicator? Seems challenging to say the least.
That is why I wrote in Mamiya 28mm out for a ride thread I thought I was 100% sharp by trusting the DB screen, later to my surprise I found most images soft.... but what they call "ART Soft" at Paul Kopeikin Gallery etc. Actually all I needed was longer lenses, that way I could establish the feel and the character of what I want! But Hey... first time with ALPA+ 24mm/28mm lenses, 60% of time on my mind was... don't drop the Frame/Camera especially with P45+ not my P30+ back. Even at the beginning with AF On on MF Camera I sometimes get other things I don't need in focus... I am just a little puzzled how long is going to take me to get a feel for guesstimation, but I've seen it in action and people do it casually:thumbup:

Obviously on tripod it's totally different story:thumbup:

This is why I asked to encourage ALPA owners... to share their experience/Tips/guesstimation situations/solutions/etc???

PeterA

It would be more useful if Hasselblad could get an Epson P-5000 to act as their Image Bank/viewer/power source.

How many captures do you expect to make in one outing?

Re Epson type system - not a bad idea in some way - but I liek teh simplicity of the hardrive too - can view teh files in the big blad LCD screen..
You know I have never thought about how many shots I expect to make - I am just thankful I am healthy enough to get around and enjoy making them!

PeterA

Natasha/ Graham - I can't remember exactly the numbers off the top of my head..however I think my Schneider 35 focuses from .7m to infinity @ F11 - one can improve critical focus by practice combining hyperfocal AND using distance scales.

Yes a problem is movement when you shoot at low shutter speeds..but often in street movement can be used to advantage.

That is why I wrote in Mamiya 28mm out for a ride thread I thought I was 100% sharp by trusting the DB screen, later to my surprise I found most images soft.... but what they call "ART Soft" at Paul Kopeikin Gallery etc. Actually all I needed was longer lenses, that way I could establish the feel and the character of what I want! But Hey... first time with ALPA+ 24mm/28mm lenses, 60% of time on my mind was... don't drop the Frame/Camera especially with P45+ not my P30+ back. Even at the beginning with AF On on MF Camera I sometimes get other things I don't need in focus... I am just a little puzzled how long is going to take me to get a feel for guesstimation, but I've seen it in action and people do it casually:thumbup:

Obviously on tripod it's totally different story:thumbup:

This is why I asked to encourage ALPA owners... to share their experience/Tips/guesstimation situations/solutions/etc???

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
This sounds a bit like swimming upstream.
Street begs for wide angle and big DOF. MF makes this tougher.
Street should be light and unobtrusive. MF makes this tougher.
The Alpa looks nifty and given my track record I might own one at least for a little while.
BUT
I think that my street camera is my M8.
-bob

bradhusick

This is indeed an interesting thread. I think the Alps is curious, but with no way to properly focus a 35mm focal length equivalent at f/3.5, and with no meter, it doesn't count as a "street shooter".

Can someone recommend another approach? Autofocus is not a requirement as long as there's some way to focus (rangefinder or SLR).
-Brad

Graham Mitchell

Street begs for wide angle and big DOF. MF makes this tougher.
-bob
Actually I like the idea of wide angle and narrow DOF, which makes focus more of an issue. I think I'll stick to the SLR for street shooting.

N

Natasa Stojsic

To use the Rollei-mount lenses (Schneider/Zeiss) on an Alpa,view camera, etc.
a battery-powered Lens Control S (white, pictured at right) is necessary.

Exactly! Even though I have to use only 10% of what is on that picture:p and only if I want to, NOT BECAUSE I NEED TO!!! Because I don't think all of us are planing to walk-around 100% of our time:p and use 100% only with Hy6 Schneider/Zeiss Lenses:p :thumbup: Anyway, even that (battery-powered Lens Control) is up for change!!!

Perhaps to your surprise..... but I still walk-around with a little tripod, because with MFDBs you are easily reminded when out of focus... especially if you use Manual Focus Lenses often!!!

Ideally, It should have 300fps, full frame, etc. I am more referring to what is available now at this moment and in the near future and personally I am happy with options:thumbup: not the prices though:thumbdown:

Last edited:
N

Natasa Stojsic

My issue with the Alpa is (as I understand it) that is basically just a frame.

Best,

Ray

Like I said before... it looks like a frame for side bed table pictures:) I couldn't stop laughing :p:p:p

Friend of mine actually told me that their point was to make a frame like that in relation to less wait and 100% accuracy when the Lens/DB/Accessories are attached!!!

But still coming from Canon 1Ds MkII/Leica M8 even now PHASE/Mamiya... I can't, I just CAN'T call it Camera:p However, I understand the concept very well and I feel comfortable:thumbup:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
A camera is just a dark room with a hole in it.
The question is how we can reduce the diffraction limitations of that hole and capture the light.
-bob

N

Natasa Stojsic

Street begs for wide angle and big DOF.
-bob
Not Really!!!

Street should be light and unobtrusive.
-bob
ALPA TC is actually the lightest Digital MF Solution out there with the best Lenses that you can afford to buy!!! This is why I refer to it as TC/39mp Leica :thumbup:

MF makes this tougher.
I agree in terms of focusing:thumbup:

The Alpa looks nifty and given my track record I might own one at least for a little while.
BUT
I think that my street camera is my M8.
-bob
Why not!!!:thumbs:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well I have the Horseman today and i am guessing at focusing , not any different . I think once you have the feel for were focus is and know what 10 ft , 3ft and such in your head this becomes easier than you think. Now this is not really a street camera only either . This is a 17, 21mm effective 35mm FF marvel at detail and resolution. There is going to be nothing better ever than these digitar lenses folks NOTHING. So there use in many situations can't be overlooked. These lenses will smoke anything near there focal length as nice as the Hassy 28 and Mamiya 28mm maybe this will still kill it with better corners and all that stuff. The beauty of this for me is also a backup , the stuff hits the fan you actually have some sort of backup but more important isit is so small you can carry it in your backpack along with your Mamiya or Hassy body and have some awesome wide angle capability. Tethered is also one way to go for folks also.

Besides all that it is just pure sexy. Come on admit it .:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: