The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad V system question

atanabe

Interesting that the CFVs are the "lead product" at hasselbladusa.com. Does anyone have experience with the CFV 50? With all of the "talk" about shimming backs on tec cameras, I find it hard to believe that manufacturing tolerances from 10-20-30 years ago on film cameras would be adequate for a 50.

Steve
Steve,
Interesting observation. I have not had focus issues with my CFV and 501CM in fact I had a loaner CFV back for a while and I also had no problems with focus. I do know that Hasselblad has a check to spec program for the V series for $99 which will align the body to specifications. The CFV I assume is shimmed to the exact film plane so assuming the camera body is in spec, then the sensor will be in the correct position.

On an SLR the alignment of the mirror is critical so that the focal point to ground glass = focal point to film plane. If both are = then the only variable is the magazine flange to sensor distance. With a tech camera, if the focusing ground glass is not at the same plane of the magazine then shimming is needed on the ground glass. Shimming a back to compensate for the ground glass would mean shimming the back when placed onto a regular camera again.

Dolce Moda

I should add that with my Phase One P30, I have no issues with hitting accurate focus with my Hasselblad 553ELX. I do however have an Acute-Matte D focusing screen with the split prism... that is pretty much a must.

My CFI and CFE lenses are very sharp.

Keep in mind, Capture One 6 also contains lens correction profiles for Hasselblad V lenses.

T

tetsrfun

I should add that with my Phase One P30, I have no issues with hitting accurate focus with my Hasselblad 553ELX. I do however have an Acute-Matte D focusing screen with the split prism... that is pretty much a must.

My CFI and CFE lenses are very sharp.

Keep in mind, Capture One 6 also contains lens correction profiles for Hasselblad V lenses.
I have had good "luck" with my CFV but it does require more attention to the "details" and does involve some "luck". Some of that may be the expectations of focus for digital vs film. But a 16MP back with fat pixels vs 50MP with 6 micron may be a different situation.

Steve

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Any of the Hasselblad CFV backs are the most logical move into MF digital capture.

They are the only backs made that do NOT require use of a sync cord from the lens to the back. They are the only backs designed specifically for your camera and look like the V flim backs. They are the only digital backs that will also work on a 200 series camera (with a minor modification of the camera body by Hasselblad).
Little history:
The H5/H10/H20/H25 (H standing for Hasselblad) were also designed specifically for the V body (before Hasselblad bought imacon to make their digital backs) and was designed specifically to conform to the lines and feel of a V body (though not specifically to match the legacy of the film back).

The P series backs in a V mount conform nicely to the feeling of the V body in my opinion - but it's aesthetics and very much personal.

The lack of a cable is a huge benefit of the CFV backs. Though in my opinion if that's high on your priority list then you're focusing on the wrong thing as the cable or lack of cable sure ain't gonna make a lick of difference in the image. A piece of gaffe tape places that cable forever out of the way.

Long exposures, vertical/horizontal/square cropping, rugged design, versatile upgrade path, and Capture One are great reasons to consider a Phase One or Leaf direction.

If you want a back that can expose more than 20-30 seconds, mount vertically, and uses a software package that is used widely even by those who do not have to use it (Canon/Nikon/Leica) then there is good reason to believe that the CFV is not your "most logical move".

500 series and 200 series glass can be used via adapter on a Phase One DF, Phase One AF, Mamiya AFD1/2/3 bodies, or on a Cambo X-2 with any of those bodies.

If you want to use a 200 series body you should go with a CFV as it is the only game in town.

All that said - there are very few bad choices. Just make sure to actually TRY whatever system you're going to buy.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Leigh

Does anyone have experience with the CFV 50? With all of the "talk" about shimming backs on tec cameras, I find it hard to believe that manufacturing tolerances from 10-20-30 years ago on film cameras would be adequate for a 50.
I use a CFV-39, the immediate predecessor of the CFV-50, on a 555ELD body and have had no focus issues whatsoever.

Precision optics were around long before digital imaging was invented. Ever hear of a microscope?

And manufacturing to sub-millimeter tolerances is almost equally ancient.

- Leigh

T

tetsrfun

Precision optics were around long before digital imaging was invented. Ever hear of a microscope?

And manufacturing to sub-millimeter tolerances is almost equally ancient.

T

tetsrfun

"Ever hear of a microscope?"
Yes...I had to buy one for Medical School.

I have five "V" system bodies and about a dozen CZ lenses and a CFV back. I am just surprised that the 50 MP back doesn't have issues with sensor plane with a random "V" body while the latest Hasselblad H series backs are matched and aligned to a specific body.

Steve

bensonga

I'd love to hear what Dave Massolo, the OP, thinks of all these views. It's been quite awhile since I made the initial decision to buy a CFV-16 and the MFD world has come a long ways since then.

tjv

As much as I hate to admit it, I think in this day and age it would make more financial sense to buy the H4D-31 with CF lens adaptor pack. If I were to buy with my heart and not listen to my head, I'd totally push for a CFV back. There's nothing quite like a WLF and old style manual focus Zeiss glass.

Leigh

I have five "V" system bodies and about a dozen CZ lenses and a CFV back.
What's a CZ lens?

I am just surprised that the 50 MP back doesn't have issues with sensor plane with a random "V" body while the latest Hasselblad H series backs are matched and aligned to a specific body.
The flange focal length of the body is set very accurately on the 500-series bodies. I have the factory jig and indicator for setting that dimension.

IIRC the tolerance is ±0.025mm, but I'd have to go back to the manual to be sure.

The requirements for the H system are entirely different, because you don't expect a body to work properly with dozens of different backs.

- Leigh

dave massolo

I want to thank all of you for the great information on this subject. I will go to my local dealer and try the gear. Thanks Dave

PSon

Here are some of the systems I tried out and got stuck with so watch what you about to enter as indicated in the title of this forums. All cameras are mounted with my favorite standard lens. Two cameras that should be included in the image but were left out are the Contax 645 and Rollei 6000 series. As indicated by the image, two of the cameras are still missing the digital backs and with some recent help two more backs are coming to complete the systems.

BTW. the image was taken with the Hasselblad 205FCC + 2.8/50 FE with the Imacon multishots digital back. I hope that you got all the informations I presented.

Best Regards,
Son

Last edited:

PSon

"Do a search for CFV here and you'll find some threads with terrific CFV images from fotografz, jlm, jotloob ," and bensonga aka Gary

bensonga

"Do a search for CFV here and you'll find some threads with terrific CFV images from fotografz, jlm, jotloob ," and bensonga aka Gary
Thanks Son. It was Marc's review of the CFV-16 and John's CFV images from the NYC naval ship yard that convinced me to give the CFV (503CWD-II) a try.....not sorry that I did, despite a few teething problems when I first received it.

That's an impressive collection of cameras in your photo above!

Gary