The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad V system question

dave massolo

I have been a reader of this good forum for sometime. I have a Hasselblad V system:503CW,100mm3.5 CF,120mm4.0 Marco CF, 50mm 5.6 CFFLE,and 350mm5.6CF. My question is should I upgrade the system with a ditgal back for the V or look at other systems? Thanks

BANKER1

If you are comfortable with the 500 system a CFV digital back for your camera is the logical step for you to take. If, however, you need autofocus the H system would be the way to go. The 39 or 50 will give you amazing images and will take advantage of your great existing CF lenses. I had the CFV16 and the images were absolutely stunning. The 39 or 50 would also take advantage of a larger image size and would be stunning to behold. A trip to your local Hasselblad dealer would be in order for a demonstration.

Greg

scott kirkpatrick

You've got a significant investment in lenses, and you must be comfortable with manual focus. The expense of adding a 40 MPx digital back to the V-series body will be less than creating a comparable kit on an AF digital body. I'm using a P45+ Phase back on two Hasselblad V-series bodies and am very happy with the results. But your intended uses may be different. Rent or borrow to try it out. The Hasselblad V back can be used on most technical cameras, and there are inexpensive upgrade swaps available if you choose to upgrade later.

scott

Jeffg53

I started off with a 503CW and V96C combo, and then moved to an H3D and HC adapter so that I could use the V lenses. It was a good way to get into the system for me. It didn't take me long to realise that the newer H lenses delivered a better result for my purpose so I then started migrating to H lenses.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
If you are comfortable with the 500 system a CFV digital back for your camera is the logical step for you to take.
I would say "a" rather than "the".

as in:

If you're comfortable with the 500 system a CFV digital back is a logical step for you to take.

Other logical steps: Leaf Valeo, Leaf Aptus, Leaf Aptus II, Phase One H, Phase One P, Phase One P+ series digital backs in a V-mount.

Of course I'm biased :). :toocool:

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

dfarkas

Workshop Member
All of those V series lenses also work extremely well on the Leica S2 with a V->S adapter. We've tested them all. Then, you could fold in some AF S glass if you found the need and/or desire.

I'm biased, too. :D

David

J

jamie123

I've never used this myself but if I were to use a Hasselblad 503CW with a digital back I'd definitely take a look at the rotating Leaf backs.

fotografz

Any of the Hasselblad CFV backs are the most logical move into MF digital capture.

They are the only backs made that do NOT require use of a sync cord from the lens to the back. They are the only backs designed specifically for your camera and look like the V flim backs. They are the only digital backs that will also work on a 200 series camera (with a minor modification of the camera body by Hasselblad).

As to other systems ... why? Is there a need you have that you can't use your V kit for?

-Marc

V

vankou

I have been a reader of this good forum for sometime. I have a Hasselblad V system:503CW,100mm3.5 CF,120mm4.0 Marco CF, 50mm 5.6 CFFLE,and 350mm5.6CF. My question is should I upgrade the system with a ditgal back for the V or look at other systems? Thanks
What are you going to be shooting? this is will determine your decision. Landscape and product is a good fit for the V system. I use it for fashion and beauty and it is a pain, but if you are not married to a bank, this is what you have to live with. But I am thinking about going to an autofocus system.

Evangelos

bensonga

+1 for the CFV digital backs. Some good deals can be had on used CFV16s now. I have the CFV16-II and although I don't use it as much as I should.....the images are superb as others have mentioned. I just wish it was full frame square and 40mp.

If Dave is comfortable sticking with the V-system manual focus lenses etc, then there is really no need to switch to a different MFD system to get quality digital images from the 503CW etc. Dave -- do a search for CFV here and you'll find some threads with terrific CFV images from fotografz, jlm, jotloob and others (if you haven't already seen them).

Gary

yaya

I think your decision should also take your specific needs into consideration. Assuming that by going digital you will want to keep your current way of working with the v camera.

If you use a waist level finder or a 45º prism and regularly shoot vertical frames (or vertical crops out of the square frame) then I would suggest that you look for a back that can either rotate or that provides a rotating sensor.

Or you can go with a square 16MP back, knowing that the X1.5 crop will make your lenses 50% longer

HTH, yair

fotografz

Well, if one likes the square format and method of shooting, be aware that the CFV/39 and CFV/50 meg backs can be shot square, providing up to a 38 meg square image, and the focusing screen provides dual format markings. No need to restrict yourself to 16 meg.

Phocus software is set up for this square option, and has new digital corrections for most CF, CFi and CFE Zeiss lenses for a level of image quality above the already excellent Zeiss optics.

-Marc

P.S., when Hasselblad announced the CFV/50 I instantly regretted selling all my V gear. I honestly thought they'd never go that big.

atanabe

Your set of V lenses could work on a H system via adapters but you will only have manual operations no AF or auto exposure. If you are comfortable with the V system, stay with it, the CFV back is the most integrated solution for the V system both mechanical and software. They come in different price ranges, from the first 16 ~ $3500 used to the 50 ~ $13,995. Check the Hasselblad USA web site or your dealer for refurbished units with warranty.

The other option is to get a H system like the H4D - 31 kit for $13,995 and move into that system slowly. If you have been getting along with the V workflow, the CFV is the most logical choice. If you want to get AF and auto everything and deal with the learning curve of buttons vs dials then going tho the H is what I would recommend.

T

tetsrfun

of course moving to the H means you don't have to wind to cock the shutter ;)
It's a lot cheaper to add a CW winder (44105) to the 503. :>) The winder with the hand strap changes the 503 into a different camera.

Steve

J

jamie123

Aren't the CFV backs only mountable in horizontal orientation? That would mean that one would have to use the 90° prism for portrait orientation, right?

T

tetsrfun

Interesting that the CFVs are the "lead product" at hasselbladusa.com. Does anyone have experience with the CFV 50? With all of the "talk" about shimming backs on tec cameras, I find it hard to believe that manufacturing tolerances from 10-20-30 years ago on film cameras would be adequate for a 50.

Steve