The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MFDB tethered to IPhone?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The only real way to do this is the backs need to generate a small jpeg for viewing. But not sure i see much of a advantage except if you have a art director standing next to you in some cases but you can do it better with a laptop. Some folks use 7 inch monitors attached to there backs and some hook up to 60 inch plasma's in the studio. I would rather see a viewer that actually backed up your CF card when shooting . So as you shot it goes to both places like a Epson 5000 or something like that , to me that makes more sense. Plus have a 4 inch viewing device as they come in or review on a break in the field

LJL

Yeah...too bad the MacBook Air does not have a FW connection. That would make for a nice, portable mini-viewer that could also store some files (not many), and still provide some correction or profiles for viewing through some apps.

I agree with Marc that the new LCDs on the newer backs is plenty large enough for the kind of viewing suggested. Also agree with Guy....if you need to see it bigger, send it to a laptop or a connected monitor.

While the iPhone has some really great capabilities that will continue to evolve, and the screen is pretty decent, and more folks are having them, if your work requires sharing shots on location with a client, use a set-up that provides decent enhancement and display. If for personal use, the LCDs are better than the iPhone already. If just wanting to share with others, something like the Epson viewer would be nice and provide some back-up storage.

Just because some of our latest devices are cool and useful, does not mean we should be expecting to do everything through them ;-) Any images on the iPhone are going to be reduced, compressed JPEGs anyway. There is the "advantage" of being able to enlarge them to some degree, but the LCDs on the backs do a better job of that already, I think.

LJ

evgeny

Guy,LJ,fotografz
Sinar MFDBs require Mac OS. The smallest MacBook is 13" and 5lb (2.3kg). What smaller devices can be used with Sinarbacks, in particular 54 series back (which has no display, work only tethered)?
Thank.

Guy Mancuso

I'm not sure on the Sinar stuff maybe Thierry has some idea's on this also. I think a lot depends on what the camera's ports are for outputting. This maybe a interesting thing to talk about on viewing devices.

LJL

Guy,LJ,fotografz
Sinar MFDBs require Mac OS. The smallest MacBook is 13" and 5lb (2.3kg). What smaller devices can be used with Sinarbacks, in particular 54 series back (which has no display, work only tethered)?
Thank.
Evgeny,
The MacBook Air runs Mac OS X, and weighs in at 3lb, with a 13.3" screen, plus being very thin and portable. The problem may be how to tether to it (USB2 only for the MacBook Air, or wireless). As a portable view device, it may be excellent, but it may not have enough storage for some uses, and there still is the issue of tethering to it. Shooting to a card and then downloading is possible, but that is not tethered shooting.

LJ

Guy Mancuso

The Mac Book Pro has Firewire 400 and 800 built into it. Plus a much bigger hard drive and up to 4gbs of ram. i would recommend this over anything else for the power and space alone. IF in the studio than going to a Mac Pro Desktop work station with outputs to big monitors and such

LJL

I agree that the MacBook Pro would be the way to go for all sorts of reasons. However, if one was looking for something smaller and lighter than even the 15" MBP, there are not a lot of choices, especially if one needs FW for power and tethering.

LJ

T

thsinar

Evgeny,

Sinar eXposure for Windows is planed to be released in July, a complete and the same version as the Mac OS version.

- A smaller Mac version could be a Mac Mini and an adequate screen:

1.83GHz or 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
Apple Remote with Front Row
Up to 2GB memory4
Intel GMA 950 graphics processor
DVI connector, VGA adapter
Slot-loading optical drive
Up to 160GB hard drive4
Built-in Gigabit Ethernet
Analog and digital audio
Expansion via USB and FireWire
iLife ’08, Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard

http://www.apple.com/macmini/

Best regards,
Thierry

Guy,LJ,fotografz
Thank.

Graham Mitchell

Evgeny,

Sinar eXposure for Windows is planed to be released in July, a complete and the same version as the Mac OS version.
I think this is the answer. There are many mini laptops available running Windows. The only limitations could be that Exposure (and other tethering software) requires a minimum screen resolution to work.

LJL

Graham and Thierry,
The Windows solution may be welcomed by many. Question: Is tethering going to require FireWire as it does for Mac OS X, and if so how will the Windows PCs manage this as most FW for them is 4-pin (not powered)? Or, will USB2 become a tethering option for the backs? What about power?

LJ

Dale Allyn

Ben,

Many of the backs have Firewire ports not "video out", but the MacBook Air does not have FW ports. The MacBook and MacBook Pro have FW. And the small devices like the Epson has no FW in. It's an interface issue.

David K

Workshop Member
I don't do much tethered shooting but in terms of working with files, i.e. conversions and adjustments I've found 2GB RAM on my older MacBook Pro doesn't really do the trick for me. Might be different if the laptop were dedicated for that purpose which mine isn't. The new models can take 4GB RAM which should be more than adequate.

Graham Mitchell

Graham and Thierry,
The Windows solution may be welcomed by many. Question: Is tethering going to require FireWire as it does for Mac OS X, and if so how will the Windows PCs manage this as most FW for them is 4-pin (not powered)? Or, will USB2 become a tethering option for the backs? What about power?

LJ
Yes, full Firewire will be required.