The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

woodyspedden

Congratulations Woody - and welcome to the H3D11-39 club!!:clap:

I am sure that Marc has already clued you up on the Hasselbald user's forum - I recommend it highly as there is no noise regarding other systems and no dog fights about this versus that - just a lot of helpful advice and info if needed.:thumbs:

Once I tried Marc's -31 - I switched to the 39 myself and now I am tossing up an Xact system versus a Linhoff system - Lance has ( as usual) been extremely helpful in finding a nice Linhoff system for me and if seller agrees with price i will go with that.:bugeyes:

I have no doubt that serious photographers will look at proper MFD spec View Cameras in due course - the next frontier.

Re the WLV finder I have one - but it isnt liek your 500 series WLF - remember that the cameras finder is matched to chip size..so the WLF is tiny in comparison. I woudl also recommend that you consider the hard drive that Hasselbald sells I have gone from being skeptical to being a fan for the speed and convenience factor alone.:thumbup:

As an aside - as you know since you sold me most of my R stuff - it is al gone as well as my Canon stuff. I have kept teh D3 with some Zeiss lenses for portability as well as my M8 - only because I also use glass with film bodies. The XPan is never to be sold.

Like you and many others - once MFD bitten there is no turning back:bugeyes:.

Sadly now there is no technical excuse for making bad shots - :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Enjoy and use it in good health

Pete
Thanks for all the insight Pete. I bought the 39 Mpx system because I looked back and realized that I was in a constant upgrade mode and losing money on each one. So I decided to start with the best optics I could find and went with the V Glass followed by a couple of HC (28 and 80) as this fundamentally determines the quality of the image. I have the 40 CFE IF, 50 CFI, 110 2.0 hassy, 120 CFE Macro, 180 CFE and the 1.4 TC. I am hopeful I can find a mint copy of the 300 CFE for a reasonable price. Since I can shoot the really long stuff with my Nikon this is the lowest priority for me. So my hope is that I now have the system that will serve me for a very long time. I also got a PC Mutar 1.4 which in combination with my 40 CFE IF provides a remarkable shift system. However I need a CFV back for my 203 FE in order to use it ideally. But the 203 FE and CFV will give me the ideal platform for my 110 2.0 Hassy as well so it is worth doing. I needed the CFV II anyway so that's no big deal. I realize I could use the Horseman or Alpa for shift but I really don't like the idea of zone focusing only. One reason I went for the MF was to have the highest resolution now available for digital capture. No point in having that resolution if you miss the focus so I will stick with a proper focus approach.

By the way, does the Hassy WLF finder support metering? I couldn't find the answer to that in their brochures.

There is no doubt that I will get an Imagebank for my system. An 8 GB card only supports something like 194 images. When I go in the field I am paranoid about proper backup as well so I have a ruggedized 120 GB drive, my MacBook Pro, and now the Imagebank. Just wish it had a display and at $2K it damned well ought to!!LOL

Sounds like you are well and up and about. Great

All the best

Woody

Steve Hendrix

There is no doubt that I will get an Imagebank for my system. An 8 GB card only supports something like 194 images. When I go in the field I am paranoid about proper backup as well so I have a ruggedized 120 GB drive, my MacBook Pro, and now the Imagebank. Just wish it had a display and at $2K it damned well ought to!!LOL

Sounds like you are well and up and about. Great

All the best

Woody
Also, the ImageBank can serve as in-the-field backup for CF cards. With a CF card in the H3D, and the ImageBank plugged into the firwire port, there is a mode that enables the backup process. It's not blindingly fast, but then again transferring 39MP files never is. It is a bumer there is no display - that would be great. Maybe one day...

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php

J

JEM_DTG

No metering capability with the HVM Waistlevel Finder. The camera functions just as it does without a prism attached... it defaults to Manual exposure mode.

Regards,

Jordan Miller
DTG

Steve,

Does the waist level finder have metering, like the HVD 90x?

Thanks,

Ray

fotografz

No metering capability with the HVM Waistlevel Finder. The camera functions just as it does without a prism attached... it defaults to Manual exposure mode.

Regards,

Jordan Miller
DTG
Makes no difference to me. I want this mostly for studio work ... for low angle shots , and especially when I have the H3 on the camera stand pointing straight down.

mark1958

They should really make the equivalent of an angle C view finder that clips onto the HVM90 allowing one to do metering, flash etc. For me, I do some low down macros and in this case such a device would be very welcome. I guess i can use the waist level finder and it certainly would be helpful in such situations... and it is not that expensive.

Makes no difference to me. I want this mostly for studio work ... for low angle shots , and especially when I have the H3 on the camera stand pointing straight down.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Steve,

Does the waist level finder have metering, like the HVD 90x?

Thanks,

Ray
I'm a gear hog but I don't own the wlf because it limits you to landscape orientation. Cameras that I've owned with wlf were either square format (Rollei 2.8f and Hasselblad V 6x6) or had rotating backs (Fuji 680)

woodyspedden

I'm a gear hog but I don't own the wlf because it limits you to landscape orientation. Cameras that I've owned with wlf were either square format (Rollei 2.8f and Hasselblad V 6x6) or had rotating backs (Fuji 680)
I agree that for general purpose shooting the Landscape orientation only is a real limitation. I use the WIF primarily for just the purpose of landscapes so it is often very helpful, as in when I want to do low angle shots. At 71 years old I am no longer flexible enough to get down on the ground in an odd angle position and be able to look through the prism finder.

The good thing about the H3D is the ability to very rapidly move from one finder to another. And since the WLF is cheap (for instance compared to the Hy6 which I believe is about $1100 more expensive) I can live with the limitations.

This is where the Sinar systems really shine. Rotatable back and a metered WLF and you are good to go. But it is expensive and you gets what you paid for. I surely know why David K went this route though.

Just my thoughts

Woody

David K

Workshop Member
I agree with you on this score Woody. I loved my Mamiya RZ (and now my Hy6) because of the rotating back. Ever try to shoot with a WLF in portrait orientation on a tripod... I have and I can tell you I'll never do it again. Backwards is bad enough, but upside down and backwards is ridiculous :)

fotografz

They should really make the equivalent of an angle C view finder that clips onto the HVM90 allowing one to do metering, flash etc. For me, I do some low down macros and in this case such a device would be very welcome. I guess i can use the waist level finder and it certainly would be helpful in such situations... and it is not that expensive.
That's an interesting idea Mark. I wonder if something that already exists could be repurposed?

PeterA

Woody - you have some great V glass there - enjoy!

My ONLY wish re Hasselblad H body was that they had multiple focus points ala Mamiya.

I am considering buying that CFV11 -so I can use a WLF and teh CFE 120 makro planar I bought new last year - for ground level macro work.

That way I get a nice 40 as well:)

However - I think a Phase One P25+ back in V mount may be even smarter:)
Pete

N

Natasa Stojsic

Hell I am thinking about a Alpa, that has NOTHING.:wtf:
Guy, look at it this way, at least we have the platform that we can mount any Digital Back including Seitz:thumbup: and if you really want one of these image banks Seitz comes with one at least that way you have true FULL FRAME 6x9 DIGITAL BACK:p:p:p

It is too early for me to go Seitz root, but hey I am not surprised to see Landscape/Architecture/Still Life Photographers go for it!!! I would if I could... probably can, but not ready until I see it in action!!!

Perhaps, Guy can start a thread on SEITZ Full Frame 6x17/6x9 Digital Back or Digital (scanning) Back is more appropriate... you guys decide!!!