The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Phase 35mm D series??

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have a very good copy of the original. Of course I had to go through about a dozen of them to find a really great one :ROTFL: Seriously, the 35 is a great focal length. Would love to test one out soon.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'm almost shocked that it's not another $4000 Mamiya lens ... :rolleyes: $1990 is considered "affordable" these days. :ROTFL:

Terry

I'm almost shocked that it's not another $4000 Mamiya lens ... :rolleyes: $1990 is considered "affordable" these days. :ROTFL:
Although even some of the expensive big boy lenses are a bargain compared to my little baby sized tech camera gems.

O

Optechs Digital

Jack and Guy,

I would be happy to send you guys one to try out so that you could share your impressions of it with the group.

Just let me know if you would like to take one for a spin.

Best,
paul

SergeiR

35mm on 645 body is one of me favorites.. Still using old one (manual) , and this might actually get me to move to AF version :))

Paul2660

Guy or Jack,

I hope you get to test one soon. Looking at the specs, on the Phase One site, they are basically the same as the old 35mm F 3.5. And the lens looks exactly the same as the old one.

Does anyone know what was changed?

Paul Caldwell

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack and Guy,

I would be happy to send you guys one to try out so that you could share your impressions of it with the group.

Just let me know if you would like to take one for a spin.

Best,
paul
Hi Paul:

I would LOVE that opportunity! Do you still have my mailing address and CC on file?

Thanks,

Jack

BJNY

Quality control.

Guy or Jack,

I hope you get to test one soon. Looking at the specs, on the Phase One site, they are basically the same as the old 35mm F 3.5. And the lens looks exactly the same as the old one.

Does anyone know what was changed?

Paul Caldwell

ggriswold

I switched to a Cambo RS for anything wider than 55mm, but for all of us let's hope they get this right. If it sings it would be tempting to have it for run and gun. At $1999 it doesn't seem that they started over and probably what BJNY suggested... QC. Let the games begin!
I have an old 35mm that I got with my first Mamiya AFD and it is a stinker. Such a dog I may take it to the ASPCA instead of selling it.

O

Optechs Digital

Hi Paul:

I would LOVE that opportunity! Do you still have my mailing address and CC on file?

Thanks,

Jack
Got it jack,

I will send out a lens for you to test on Monday. We haven't had the time to test them yet ourselves so it will be great to hear your unbiased opinion of how it compares to your older version.

As has been mentioned, this "new" lens does appear to be identical to the prior version. However, with the addition of a classy silver band. :)

Best Regards,
Paul

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Awesome Paul. I would love to test it but with a P40+ back would not be a good test with a P65 FF out there so Jack would be great to run some tests for us since he has a P65 which will tell us how the corners are. I really want this lens since I have a gapping hole in my lineup 28 than a 55. Really need that 35mm in there. Hope this turns out to be a winner.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Mine is grounded in Atlanta snow storm but I don't get home till next Monday anyway. So should be arriving same time. Can't wait to get it

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'll be interested to hear how you folks get on with the new lens, especially compared to the current lens.

I had a chance to get hands on with one today at Optechs Digital for a cursory look at any obvious differences. As Paul mentioned, it does have a swanky polished silver band on it and the Phase engraved lettering etc. The glass looks the same, as in no obvious differences with the external design at least. I'd have to imagine that the changes are internal or with coatings perhaps? The hood is the same plastic job too by the look of it.

Unfortunately I also looked at the 28mm in person too which I think is probably still the focal length I need for the P40+ unless I don the ski mask and hit the local bank to liberate funds for a FF MFDB upgrade. :p

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The demo 35 arrived yesterday, thanks Paul!!!

It was raining however, so I did not get a chance to test it properly -- and today I am busy so it will likely be tomorrow before I get around to testing it.

However, I did look it over of course :)D). It definitely appears to be "identical" to the original model, with revised PhaseOne graphics and markings. But here's the good news on that:

I have used or tested maybe 6 different copies of this lens at differing times over the past few years. Of those 6, 1 was pretty bad all around. 2 were very good performers except for the extreme corners on full-frame (P45+), but would have been fine on a crop sensor like the P40+. 2 were very good including at least 3 of the 4 corners on the P45+, and I sold one to a friend since I had a good one. Then I sold my remaining one to another friend after I got my 28. But then I went fuller full frame with the P65+ and found the 28 too wide for most of my needs, so reinvested some time in finding another good 35 (!). A photographer I respect posted one for sale, and he claimed it was good, he just never used it much so was making room in his bag. So I bought it, and yes it is VG across the frame at all 4 corners. While none match the 80 LS centrally, they remain good to very good corner-to-corner -- good enough certainly for large landscape prints.

So bottom line is that *IF* Phase took the time to tighten up QC on the assembly line, then I have no doubt these new 35's will be popular.

Stay tuned for a more formal test with pictures!