The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Jpeg please !

anGy

Hi,

It will be soon possible to send a photo from an SD card directly to a smartphone or iPad. No need for a separate wireless router or any other device anymore.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-11133-11150

This is really great for shooting outdoor.
In my case, using a P40+ on a Cambo for architecture, and 'easily' reviewing the shot on my iPod should be really, really great.

An SD card can be used on a Phase back with a Compactflash card adapter.
A metal free adapter gives good results (no signal distraction).

Normally raw files ca also be sent the same way, but duration will be longer (too long ?) and files won't be usable on iPad / iPhone.

So the missing link, if I got it well, is the 'shoot raw+jpeg' function on the back (as Pentax does).

As Phase and Hasselblad are already generating jpeg files for displaying on the back, it shouldn't be that complicated to firmware update the backs to record a jpeg version on the memory card too.

If all that is correct I hope someone at Phase One understands the outstanding added value of such an update !

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Actually it's not "soon" - it's "now". But only if your standards are very low or you simply enjoy tinkering. For those used to shooting tethered it's a very painful comparison (other than not requiring a cable/computer which is of course very nice).

I've used these solutions with several bodies (D3, M9, Canon P&S). At best they are "ok". But signal strength, transfer speed (even for a small JPG), and functionality (one way communication only, no ability to tag/sort/name files in a way that persists to the final product, no ability to check focus at 100%) are all mediocre, and stability was only "good" (not production ready IMO).

Even if the adapter has no metal an M9, D3, and Phase back all have a LOT of metal in the direct area of the card.

Very exciting area for future development, but currently VERY nascent.

Unless you are a tinkerer I suggest you keep your head down for a year or two when the solutions will undoubtedly be faster, better, and more functional.

The level of sophistication of features, speed, stability, and practical usefulness of wired tethering is so high it sets a very high bar for wireless tethering. See for instance the much faster, much more functional iPad application 'Capture Pilot' when shooting tethered to Capture One.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

anGy

is that an assumtion or proved ("real world")?
It's an assumption based on the fact that those SD cards + adapters do work on DSLR bodies (Nikon, Canon) accepting CompactFlash cards. But a real test with a DB should be performed to be 100% sure.

DSLR + SD wifi cards config have been tested on the same site as the fact that metal free adapters give better signal even if cameras are of course containing metal.

Signal strenght and speed were tested too with very good results in the SD + wifi + separate router configuration.

No test as been done with the embedded SD wifi and router card as it is not available yet (demo during the CES).

anGy

Actually it's not "soon" - it's "now". But only if your standards are very low or you simply enjoy tinkering. For those used to shooting tethered it's a very painful comparison (other than not requiring a cable/computer which is of course very nice).
No cable but mostly no laptop is a serious +.
An iPad can easily hang on the tripod and be checked for reviewing the shot.
It is less doable with a laptop.
Moving safer and faster from one spot to another is also good for speed and creativity.

I've used these solutions with several bodies (D3, M9, Canon P&S). At best they are "ok". But signal strength, transfer speed (even for a small JPG), and functionality (one way communication only, no ability to tag/sort/name files in a way that persists to the final product, no ability to check focus at 100%) are all mediocre, and stability was only "good" (not production ready IMO).

Even if the adapter has no metal an M9, D3, and Phase back all have a LOT of metal in the direct area of the card.
Just keep this simple: need to review the shot on a good quality, portable (and not transportable) screen, that's about it.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Signal strenght and speed were tested too with very good results in the SD + wifi + separate router configuration.
Hmmm. Guess it all depends on what you're comparing to.

I can assure you I am no slack when it comes to testing such gear. I found the speed to be slow and the signal to require the photographer to have the battery-powered-wifi device in their front pocket if they wanted complete assurance it would be stable.

But my comparison is a real tethered setup.

anGy

Hmmm. Guess it all depends on what you're comparing to.

I can assure you I am no slack when it comes to testing such gear. I found the speed to be slow and the signal to require the photographer to have the battery-powered-wifi device in their front pocket if they wanted complete assurance it would be stable.

But my comparison is a real tethered setup.

My memory tells me that transfer times were around 1" per 700~1000kb but am not sure.
So a 'DSLR like' Raw + Jpeg with different Jpeg sizes selections via display menu should be great, and flexible for different needs (small (fast) Jpeg selection when composition check only is needed >< large (slow) Jpeg selection for checking details and sharpness for instance).