The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PDN Article: Medium Format's Future (cleared with PDN)

goesbang

I'm not sure what the fuss over price is all about.

Look at it this way - 10 years ago, a top of the line computer cost the roughly the same as a top line computer does today. You get a whole lot more performance though.

Top line medium format systems have always cost roughly the price of a small luxury car. Even back in the days of film. In fact, if you adjust for the dollar value over time, I think my Hasselblad film outfit that I bought in 1990 cost me more than I just paid for my Phase One DF body and lenses.

In 1995, I paid over 30K for my Leaf DCB2. That back had a 4MP monochromatic sensor in it. Roughly the same money today just bought me a 60.5 MP back with capabilities that hadn't even crossed an engineers mind yet at that stage.

This is high-end professional gear we are talking about. Either your business supports it or it doesn't. If it doesn't and you wish it did, then ranting at the back manufacturers will get you nowhere. Have a look at your business model and its revenue streams and adjust accordingly. Take some responsibility for your own outcomes.

I am very pleased that Phase One, Leaf, Hasselblad, Leica and others are able to charge enough to keep their businesses profitable enough to fund the R&D budgets to give me and others a continued stream of new developments. These developments are the same ones the bleeding hearts are always ranting for - higher ISO, lower noise, more DR, blah, blah.

The fact is, in real-dollar terms, the cost of MF systems has been declining, whilst performance has increased significantly over the 20+ years I have been shooting MF.

My advice to the price whingers - build a bridge and get over it!

If those guys aren't making a profit, they go out of business, and that serves nobody in the imagemaking game, pro or amateur.

Sorry to be harsh, but that's life.

fotografz

I'm not sure what the fuss over price is all about.

Look at it this way - 10 years ago, a top of the line computer cost the roughly the same as a top line computer does today. You get a whole lot more performance though.

Top line medium format systems have always cost roughly the price of a small luxury car. Even back in the days of film. In fact, if you adjust for the dollar value over time, I think my Hasselblad film outfit that I bought in 1990 cost me more than I just paid for my Phase One DF body and lenses.

In 1995, I paid over 30K for my Leaf DCB2. That back had a 4MP monochromatic sensor in it. Roughly the same money today just bought me a 60.5 MP back with capabilities that hadn't even crossed an engineers mind yet at that stage.

This is high-end professional gear we are talking about. Either your business supports it or it doesn't. If it doesn't and you wish it did, then ranting at the back manufacturers will get you nowhere. Have a look at your business model and its revenue streams and adjust accordingly. Take some responsibility for your own outcomes.

I am very pleased that Phase One, Leaf, Hasselblad, Leica and others are able to charge enough to keep their businesses profitable enough to fund the R&D budgets to give me and others a continued stream of new developments. These developments are the same ones the bleeding hearts are always ranting for - higher ISO, lower noise, more DR, blah, blah.

The fact is, in real-dollar terms, the cost of MF systems has been declining, whilst performance has increased significantly over the 20+ years I have been shooting MF.

My advice to the price whingers - build a bridge and get over it!

If those guys aren't making a profit, they go out of business, and that serves nobody in the imagemaking game, pro or amateur.

Sorry to be harsh, but that's life.
Yeah, "Let them eat cake!" :ROTFL:

Just kidding.

Actually you are right. I think the rub has come as the MFD makers look to expand their market into the serious enthusiast market where there is no ROI business model. This has been aided by the 35mm DSLR makers that began marketing flagship do-it-all $8,000. pro bodies. The MFD companies could then produce "entry level" cameras marketed fairly close to that price point ... and have done exactly that.

Personally, I find it remarkable that you now can get a 40meg full-featured rig for under $10K ... wasn't all that long-ago that 16 meg crop frame boxes were twice that.

Trouble is the expectations are set by the alternative 35mm DSLRs in terms of certain performance aspects. For example the constant harping on LCD quality where the comparison is made between some $500. P&S with a thumbnail sized sensor and 12 meg verses a their $30,000. 645 sized sensor, 60 meg P65+ .... without regard to the technology involved in getting that much data to the screen fast enough. Possible? Sure, but if it were that easy someone would have done it already to gain a clear competitive edge.

We should all be celebrating ... except maybe the Leica S2 lovers who get to pay Louis XIV pricing for the pleasure of its company :ROTFL:

-Marc