The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

horseman/CFV

jlm

Workshop Member
any advice on this pairing? is the cabling or shutter recognition a problem? i'm sure a few of you old bladd'ers would know, eh?

thanks

john

fotografz

John, the proper sync cord came with the back.

To use it you need to go into the menu > Settings > Camera > Sync

The trick is to remember to set it back to the 500 when you're done : -)

jlm

Workshop Member
thanks, boys. next week ought to be a kick. as far as focusing, i expect that popping on the blad ground glass and a loupe will work

jlm

Workshop Member
horseman in hand; glad to see it has eyelets for a neck strap! solid little bugger, too

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
It sure is . Waiting on cable i know. John don't you have one that came with the camera.

Lance fed-xed it to you overnight

jlm

Workshop Member
will be set tomorrow. the kit that came with the camera was a little thin, no problem.
maybe i can come up with some accessories in my shop...

jlm

Workshop Member
finally got out there with the horseman. it is challenging
first, I found the viewer of not much use; no better than eyballing it. best for me was the 90 degree prism finder (blad) on the ground glass back. make sure you set the back to SWC mode.
that worked extremely well...BUT: you have to take off the CFV back (careful of the sensor, find a good place to put it), that requires that you unplug the cable and pop off the battery (the battery interferes with the Horseman base if trying to tilt off the back to remove it. so battery in the pocket. put on the prism/ground glass. focus and shift. put the back back, (keeping your prism unit safe),the battery back, power up (make sure you locked the shift locks or it might move&%$%^#). remember to close the shutter; take the shot and chimp the histogram.
now if you want to do a stitch, remove the battery and back, etc., etc.

all the while at the Navy Yard, I'm trying not to step over the edge of a pier (i had one foot over the edge on a bumper a few times) or get run over with one of those giant cranes (they are creepy, fortunately noisy)
or drop anything into the muck i'm standing in.

now to go back to the blad...remember to change the back to 200...oh yeah, have to cock the shutter to remove a lens...etc.

fun morning, though I'm still getting friendly with the horse

lance_schad

Workshop Member
finally got out there with the horseman. it is challenging
first, I found the viewer of not much use; no better than eyballing it. best for me was the 90 degree prism finder (blad) on the ground glass back. make sure you set the back to SWC mode.
that worked extremely well...BUT: you have to take off the CFV back (careful of the sensor, find a good place to put it), that requires that you unplug the cable and pop off the battery (the battery interferes with the Horseman base if trying to tilt off the back to remove it. so battery in the pocket. put on the prism/ground glass. focus and shift. put the back back, (keeping your prism unit safe),the battery back, power up (make sure you locked the shift locks or it might move&%$%^#). remember to close the shutter; take the shot and chimp the histogram.
now if you want to do a stitch, remove the battery and back, etc., etc.

all the while at the Navy Yard, I'm trying not to step over the edge of a pier (i had one foot over the edge on a bumper a few times) or get run over with one of those giant cranes (they are creepy, fortunately noisy)
or drop anything into the muck i'm standing in.

now to go back to the blad...remember to change the back to 200...oh yeah, have to cock the shutter to remove a lens...etc.

fun morning, though I'm still getting friendly with the horse
John,
Since you are using a square chip you can rotate the mounting plate in any orientation. I do not have too much experience with the CFV but it may assist you with mounting and unmounting the unit .
Worth a try.
Lance

jlm

Workshop Member
i would have tried that, but then all the menus on the back are rotated also ;).
i may make a modified tripod plate so the back can pop right off.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
here is a vertical stitch, from four frames
John, it is images like this one that prompted me to get the Horseman too. When you can so easily combine four frames into a near perfect stitch at around 3x the native pixel count of your sensor, it sure makes one take notice. Excellent image!