The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ballhead and quick release plate

D

drmytan

I am new to this forum. I am from Malaysia. I recently bought the Hassy H4D 31 camera.
In Malaysia it is not easy to get the top branded ballheads eg Arca Swiss, RRS etc.

Luckily l managed to contact RRS in US via email and was advise to get these two since they are happy to deliver them from US to my country.

1) BH-55 LR: Full-sized ballhead
2) BH1-L Plate

I also contacted the local company and was recommended to try Photoclam (Korea) Ballhead PC-54NS, and its PC-69-UP2 plate.

I really appreaciate your honest comments on the matter. Should l buy from RRS in US through online or go to the local shop and buy the Photoclam items. Anyone has tried the photoclam?

Thanks

Marc

T

tetsrfun

RRS products are of the highest quality and the customer service is excellent. The RRC TVC-33 tripod is a nice accessory for the BH-55. :)

Steve

D

drmytan

RRS products are of the highest quality and the customer service is excellent. The RRC TVC-33 tripod is a nice accessory for the BH-55. :)

Steve

Thanks Steve.

Is the L plate compatible to H4D 31, and can the L plate do the job by holding camera firmly?

Thanks

T

tetsrfun

Thanks Steve.

Is the L plate compatible to H4D 31, and can the L plate do the job by holding camera firmly?

Thanks
Yes and yes....the only "issue" with the "L" plate is that it isn't compatible with the "GIL" GPS system. In addition, I would get an 80mm clamp, lever or knob, rather than the standard 60mm for the BH-55.

As an aside, many people on this Forum have moved away from ball heads and now use the ARCA Cube tripod head. For general landscape situations, I have started using the RRS leveling base with the RRS PCL-1 panning clamp.

Steve

Jeffg53

Yes and yes....the only "issue" with the "L" plate is that it isn't compatible with the "GIL" GPS system.

Steve
The L plate can be easily modified to accommodate the GIL. I have been using mine this way for a few years without any issues.

T

tetsrfun

The L plate can be easily modified to accommodate the GIL. I have been using mine this way for a few years without any issues.
Thanks for bringing that up....I debated it but without personal experience decided not to mention user modifications.

Steve

Jay Emm

...Should l buy from RRS in US through online or go to the local shop and buy the Photoclam items...
For what it's worth, I'm in Australia and have purchased from RRS online a few times. They've been very easy to deal with, goods arrived fine - and as others have noted, the quality is very high (it feels like good old fashioned craftsmanship, people that take pride in making a quality product)

D

drmytan

Thanks guys. After reading all the invaluable comments, l have no hesitancy to get one soonest.

Thanks guys a lot!

D

drmytan

Yes and yes....the only "issue" with the "L" plate is that it isn't compatible with the "GIL" GPS system. In addition, I would get an 80mm clamp, lever or knob, rather than the standard 60mm for the BH-55.

As an aside, many people on this Forum have moved away from ball heads and now use the ARCA Cube tripod head. For general landscape situations, I have started using the RRS leveling base with the RRS PCL-1 panning clamp.

Steve
Thanks Steve. :thumbup:

Can l order this clamp you mentioned above from RRS, what model is this? Does the RRS leveling base come together with PCL-1? I'm sorry asking you many times as l'm new to this stuff. :confused: