The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why visiting your dealer can be a mistake - Alpa STC

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I visited Optechs Digital today to drop off some gear and while there had the chance to take a look at the Alpa STC in the flesh.

It certainly is the mini-me version of the Max or a beefy TC. With just the ground glass on it and lens it seemed like it weighed no more than a Leica M8/9 with a 35 Summilux on it and just as rock solid in the hand with the wooden grip. Even with a back attached I would expect it to be a great portable solution, certainly a LOT smaller than a Max. It fits in a Think Tank digital accessory bag about the size of the "Speed Changer". The interlocks on the shift mechanism and zero detent clicks seem a bit beefier than those on the Max and so if you want to lock it all down the interlock certainly is a benefit (I could use it on the Max on occasion). It certainly seems to fit the mold of an SWA for horizontal stitching - I.e. Great for panos and landscape work if rise/fall might is not so important for you. (like the SWA you can flip it if you want that)

Now I really need another Alpa technical camera body like I need a hole in the head but I confess that I left with just a little teeny bit of camera lust. ;)

goesbang

Come on Graham, you are not trying hard enough. I'm sure you are able to come up with at least ten perfectly reasoned, rational, persuasive arguments why you simply MUST have an STC. How can you go out in public and call yourself a photographer if you haven't yet mastered this essential skill?

Here's some ideas to work with.....

It's the latest and in some ways greatest offering from the best tech cam manufacturer - think of the camera envy you would provoke!

It is soooooooo user friendly.

It's light and compact and will be so easy to take with you everywhere you go. No more "wish I had my camera with me moments"

Your clients/friends/peers will think you're sooo cool because you are one of the first to see the wisdom in owning this camera.

All your Alpa bits will fit on it. How efficient is that?!!!

It's black, so it will match your clothes no matter what colours you wear....

Okay, I'll take my tongue out of my cheek now. It really is a must-have camera. I have made some short notes comparing it with the Horseman SW-DII that I have been using.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22367

I think Alpa really got the size/weight/features/performance spot on with the STC. I've been putting one through it's paces for a couple of weeks now, firstly in Swiss alpine winter conditions and now in the Arabian desert. Very, very impressed so far.

BTW, my wife and I spent a couple of days in the Alps as guests of the Capaul-Webers, the owners of Alpa. Besides being wonderful hosts, they truly are passionate about building the best cameras possible and take user feedback very, very seriously. The STC was born of that feedback and is a clear example of their philosophy of only the best is good enough.

I look forward to seeing your posts from your shoots with your new STC.....

Regards,

GrahamWelland

I think someone just earned the exalted Enabler title....

:D
Isn't that the truth!! :p

Come on Graham, you are not trying hard enough. I'm sure you are able to come up with at least ten perfectly reasoned, rational, persuasive arguments why you simply MUST have an STC. How can you go out in public and call yourself a photographer if you haven't yet mastered this essential skill?

Now there's someone who can read me like a book. As if I needed any more reasons to spend ungodly amounts of cash on precision camera gear!

However, if I didn't already have a Max then I would be sorely tempted by a mini-max, err, STC. But then again, I'm traveling from the end of January until the end of February, plus I have that workshop in AZ and wouldn't it be handy just to have a super quality camera that I can carry in a satchel like I used to with my Leica with a couple of lenses, plus it's a bit like an MP but digital, and I've still got that Domke bag sitting in the corner empty and ready to go ... no, no, no, stop it ... that's enough of that!! :ROTFL:

goesbang

But then again, I'm traveling from the end of January until the end of February, plus I have that workshop in AZ and wouldn't it be handy just to have a super quality camera that I can carry in a satchel like I used to with my Leica with a couple of lenses, plus it's a bit like an MP but digital, and I've still got that Domke bag sitting in the corner empty and ready to go ... no, no, no, stop it ... that's enough of that!! :ROTFL:[/QUOTE]

Graham, if we ever find ourselves in the same city (and you have an ALPA STC on you), the beers are on me!:angel:

fotografz

This is a VERY bad thread to look at. Very, very, very bad indeed.

Very expensive ... but then again, it's a cheap alternative to the S2 kit I was considering :ROTFL:

I know, apples and oranges ... but that never stopped anyone afflicted with the MFD IQ disease has it?

So, a question to all you ALPA users ...

I'm terrible at estimating distances (which I learned first hand with a Hassey SWC) ... how the heck do you guys get accurate focusing?

Or does the DOF using a super-wide make up for it?

I'd be using a H4D/60 back with an Image Bank-II to power the digital mag.

Please disuade me. :rolleyes:

-Marc

jotloob

Subscriber Member
This thread must be erased immediately . Guy please do so . Urgently .

This thread leads me again into so much temptation for an STC . I thought , I had overcome that , but this gets me back . This is not fair .:banghead:

And the worst of it , I live only about 180 km away from the ALPA place .
I am rather sure , that when I get my car out the next time , it will take me right there , and I can't do anything about it .

Marc

I once opened a thread here in this forum about focussing with an ALPA .
I don't find it anymore .
Perhaps someone can help .
Focussing an ALPA is basically very much like with a HASSELBLAD SWC .
Either with a little rangefinder and transfer the distance to the lens .
(not very accurate) or
use a laser Distometer (ex.LEICA DISTO5) and transfer the reading to the lens (not very accurate either, but better) or
GG focussing or use the hyper focal method .
ALPA announced HPF rings at the last PHOTOKINA .
HPF stands for High Performance Focussing rings . They will be available soon . I have ordered them for my 4 lenses .

Other members here can surely give their experiences , which would be great .

jotloob

Subscriber Member

Here's some ideas to work with.....

It's the latest and in some ways greatest offering from the best tech cam manufacturer - think of the camera envy you would provoke!

It is soooooooo user friendly.

It's light and compact and will be so easy to take with you everywhere you go. No more "wish I had my camera with me moments"

Your clients/friends/peers will think you're sooo cool because you are one of the first to see the wisdom in owning this camera.

All your Alpa bits will fit on it. How efficient is that?!!!

It's black, so it will match your clothes no matter what colours you wear....

Okay, I'll take my tongue out of my cheek now. It really is a must-have camera. I have made some short notes comparing it with the Horseman SW-DII that I have been using.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22367

I think Alpa really got the size/weight/features/performance spot on with the STC. I've been putting one through it's paces for a couple of weeks now, firstly in Swiss alpine winter conditions and now in the Arabian desert. Very, very impressed so far.

BTW, my wife and I spent a couple of days in the Alps as guests of the Capaul-Webers, the owners of Alpa. Besides being wonderful hosts, they truly are passionate about building the best cameras possible and take user feedback very, very seriously. The STC was born of that feedback and is a clear example of their philosophy of only the best is good enough.

Regards,

Bryan

Please no more pro STC arguments . They make me so impatient .
I feel , I will loose that battle again and my 12SWA will be offended .

GrahamWelland

Graham, if we ever find ourselves in the same city (and you have an ALPA STC on you), the beers are on me!:angel:
The beers will have to be on you because I'd be broke again. I've just spent a couple of months on the ramen noodle diet after replacing the Leaf Aptus that I broke with a P40+ :(

This is a VERY bad thread to look at. Very, very, very bad indeed.

Very expensive ... but then again, it's a cheap alternative to the S2 kit I was considering :ROTFL:

Please disuade me. :rolleyes:

-Marc
Well, $4k is just a drop in the bucket when it comes to Leica equipment, especially the S2. So, in effect, the STC is an absolute bargain so what's to dissuade?

Now I know from experience that buying an Alpa is a lot like ordering a new Porsche or BMW off of the option price list. Suddenly you're salivating over all of those absolutely essential options that you didn't initially budget on and you've bumped up the bill significantly. Heck, I've even been contemplating replacing my perfectly functional black handles on the Max with those ever so sexy wooden ones - now where's the sanity in that? On a camera body? It's not like anyone else really cares - but oh so nice. Damn, I've succumbed even further to camera bling. The horror!

This thread must be erased immediately . Guy please do so . Urgently .

This thread leads me again into so much temptation for an STC . I thought , I had overcome that , but this gets me back . This is not fair .:banghead:

I am rather sure , that when I get my car out the next time , it will take me right there , and I can't do anything about it .
You know it makes sense ... why resist the inevitable?

Yea one more reason. Guy wants to see it on the workshop. Lol
:thumbs: Although I don't think it'll be mine. :cry: I'm working the budget for something unglamorous like the next new lens to flesh out my current Alpa!

cly

Just wondering: Is it possible to attach a compendium shade to the STC? On the alpa website, all I can find is the "ALPA Pro Lens Shade PLS 70-75". Isn't there something like the Arca compendium hood? Or is there a way to attach the Sinar solution for the arTec?

--
chris

GrahamWelland

You can certainly use something like the LEE system where the standard adapter ring screws on to the front of the lens and then the LEE hood assembly attaches on to that. The downside is that you don't end up with a lot of room to access the shutter and aperture controls or recocking lever when this is mounted but that's nothing new or specific to the Alpa - that applies to any hood/LF lens assembly. I use the LEE bellows hood occasionally and it works across all of my camera/lens systems.

I haven't seen the Alpa shade in person though. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

beamon

All I can think of when reading this thread is the last part of The Lord's Prayer, to wit:

"And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory. for ever and ever. Amen"

J

jamie123

I live about 1km away from the ALPA place. :)
(Un)fortunately my empty bank account has made it remarkably easy to resist the temptation of an ALPA so far!

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the link ... successfully dissuaded Jurgen ... ;)

-Marc

Marc

Shooting with an ALPA is Photography back to the roots with the best available lenses , film and digital backs .
It requires time and gives you time , time to compose your image and set up your camera . It is a joy .
It is not an "all in one camera" and does not want to be , but as you used to say : horses for courses .

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Fortunately I have an excuse to defer this - Hasselblad is working on a presumably more convenient external battery for the 60 meg back. Show me the battery and I'll probably fall for the Alpa. Let's start thinking about which lenses.