The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why visiting your dealer can be a mistake - Alpa STC

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Here is a picture we just took to give an idea of the relative size difference between several different Alpa models.

From right to Left: Max, STC, SWA and TC.

For reference, the TC is about 4.25 inches across.

View attachment 39271

Best Regards,
Paul

Paul

Sorry for the little correction .
It surely should read from LEFT to RIGHT instead of right to left .
Thank you for your comparison of the camera sizes .

O

Optechs Digital

Paul

Sorry for the little correction .
It surely should read from LEFT to RIGHT instead of right to left .
Thank you for your comparison of the camera sizes .
Thanks much Jurgen,

It must come from spending too much time looking at things upside down and backwards.

Best,
Paul

narikin

Here is a picture we just took to give an idea of the relative size difference between several different Alpa models.

From left to right: Max, STC, SWA and TC.

For reference, the TC is about 4.25 inches across.
makes me realise how the STC maybe the best compromise all-rounder, but the TC is the purest expression.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
My STC order from yesterday came about two hours too late .
The first STC lot is sold .
I am on the top of list for the second lot . So I have a three weeks reprieve .:shocked:
Time enough to print some good € notes .

thomas

Thomas

That Sinar bellow shade seems to be a nice product but would not fit on any ALPA . Where would you mount the rod ? ? ?
Anyway . Where do you buy Sinar products in Germany ? ? ?
the bellows lens shade doesn't fit... but the arTec lens shade does fit (on the lenses via adapter)

http://www.sinar.ch/en/products/accessories/55-sinar-artec-zubehoer/185-artec-kompendiummaske

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=33449&d=1280227639

you can buy Sinar products at Profot, Cologne

goesbang

damn it, Bryan ... I cracked. :D

I believe that the "enabler" moniker must now apply to you!
So, Graham, welcome to the club! As a member of our Facebook community, you might have seen the pics from my demo shoot at the Phase One global dealer launch of the IQ180, here in Dubai.
So now you have the perfect camera, when are you adding the perfect back?

It is much more awesome than all the media hype suggests :angel:

Happy shooting mate!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
So, Graham, welcome to the club! As a member of our Facebook community, you might have seen the pics from my demo shoot at the Phase One global dealer launch of the IQ180, here in Dubai.
So now you have the perfect camera, when are you adding the perfect back?

It is much more awesome than all the media hype suggests :angel:

Happy shooting mate!
Well ... As it happens ... I did order an IQ140 too although obviously I'm not going to be seeing that for a while. :D

goesbang

Well ... As it happens ... I did order an IQ140 too although obviously I'm not going to be seeing that for a while. :D
WooHooo for you. I honestly believe that the marriage of the IQ series backs with the ALPA STC is the current "all-round" best combo in the tech camera game, so I applaud your decision.

I look forward to your image posts.

Cheers,

BTW, pardon my ignorance, but what is an "enabler"? This is the third time I've been called this and I still haven't a clue what it means.

stephengilbert

From Websters Dictionary: an enabler is

"one that enables another to achieve an end; especially: one who enables another to persist in self-destructive behavior (as substance abuse) by providing excuses or by making it possible to avoid the consequences of such behavior."

Most of the enablers here engage in the enabled behavior.

kdphotography

From Websters Dictionary: an enabler is

"one that enables another to achieve an end; especially: one who enables another to persist in self-destructive behavior (as substance abuse) by providing excuses or by making it possible to avoid the consequences of such behavior."

Most of the enablers here engage in the enabled behavior.
:ROTFL:

GrahamWelland

WooHooo for you. I honestly believe that the marriage of the IQ series backs with the ALPA STC is the current "all-round" best combo in the tech camera game, so I applaud your decision.
I agree - the combo is what really interested me as a travel tech package.

BTW, pardon my ignorance, but what is an "enabler"? This is the third time I've been called this and I still haven't a clue what it means.
"enabler" moniker is a tongue in cheek title that Ken & Don Libby and perhaps a few others have under their username since they lead the rest of us into gear temptation and Dante's money pit. Stephen's definition from Webster fits well too. Consider it a complement :D :thumbs:

goesbang

I agree - the combo is what really interested me as a travel tech package.

"enabler" moniker is a tongue in cheek title that Ken & Don Libby and perhaps a few others have under their username since they lead the rest of us into gear temptation and Dante's money pit. Stephen's definition from Webster fits well too. Consider it a complement :D :thumbs:
Yes, I am both culprit and victim.
As I have also been taking pictures for a living since I was 16, can I claim to be a "senior" enabler?:angel:

jonoslack

As I have also been taking pictures for a living since I was 16, can I claim to be a "senior" enabler?:angel:
that would depend entirely on how old you are now!:p
I've been watching this thread with a little anguish too!

jlm

Workshop Member
imagine...the IQ180 and the Alpa TC, 45mm, no viewfinder, chimping with live view. how cool is that?

kdphotography

I am sure that Jack and Guy have been busy since the release of the IQ series of MFDBs and simply have not had the time to annoint you with the exalted senior enabler status. You've earned it.

:ROTFL:

narikin

I've been traveling in the Southern Hemisphere with my STC for 3 weeks now, and am extremely happy with it. One lightweight camera to walk around with (60mm) or do a 2-way stitch (90mm) when on a tripod, and that larger file is needed. Great huge MF files from a compact package.

The TC is still smaller, but you can't stitch with that. The Max does bigger stitches, but you can't walk around with it easily. The STC is close to perfect compromise.

GrahamWelland

I pick up my STC on Friday and I'm looking forward to it being the perfect compromise for travel/stitching as you mention. The Max has great versatility but when I look at the type of images I've been shooting they've almost entirely been stitched OR rise/fall, and only a couple where I combined the movements.

The extra compactness is the thing that sold me in the end and I ended up trading my Max and going to the smaller combination. I'm sure that I'll miss the extra two dimensional movements at some point but hopefully the extra convenience coupled with it being all I need for 99% of my shooting will make it the ideal compromise you describe. I'll have a good opportunity to test out the convenience next week on the GetDPI winter gig with my P40+, STC & 47/90/150 combination.

jlm

Workshop Member
any comments on the choice to stitch by camera shifts vs. panning the camera? (assuming parallax is not an issue if the rotation point is set correctly)

i see the main argument for the STC over the TC is perspective control

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I pick up my STC on Friday and I'm looking forward to it being the perfect compromise for travel/stitching as you mention. The Max has great versatility but when I look at the type of images I've been shooting they've almost entirely been stitched OR rise/fall, and only a couple where I combined the movements.

The extra compactness is the thing that sold me in the end and I ended up trading my Max and going to the smaller combination. I'm sure that I'll miss the extra two dimensional movements at some point but hopefully the extra convenience coupled with it being all I need for 99% of my shooting will make it the ideal compromise you describe. I'll have a good opportunity to test out the convenience next week on the GetDPI winter gig with my P40+, STC & 47/90/150 combination.
Awesome so much want to see this in person. I have a friend lending me a Alpa TC with 24mm for the workshop. I have this love affair with the TC but really want to try the STC.