The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H3D2 => Firewire 4 pin port / tethered ?

B

BlueLemon

I just bought a new Acer 5943G I7 laptop with a Firewire 4 pin port (you know the small port used for videograbbing too - so speed should not be an isue or ?)

I can easily buy an adapter that will attach to the original firewire cable supplied with the Hasselblad H3D2 camera.

But will it work out fine with tethered shooting with an adapter in between ?

Or should i go for a new cable ?

do any of you know !

Last edited:

fotografz

I just bought a new Acer 5943G I7 laptop with a Firewire 4 pin port (you know the small port used for videograbbing too - so speed should not be an isue or ?)

I can easily buy an adapter that will attach to the original firewire cable supplied with the Hasselblad H3D2 camera.

do any of you know !
It will work, I have one. However, it more depends on whether the Laptop will provide enough power.

I bye-passed all that and bought a FW 800 to FW 400 cord. Speed of transfer wasn't noticeably impacted.

Take care that the tether cord doesn't get too long ... beyond 15' or so you need a powered FW repeater.

-Marc

B

BlueLemon

so will it work if I buy a dedicated FW800-FW400 cable (4pin) ???

else i have usb2.0 ports, hdmi and nothing more

Godfrey

so will it work if I buy a dedicated FW800-FW400 cable (4pin) ???

else i have usb2.0 ports, hdmi and nothing more
You can't get power from the 4-pin FW400 connection. It was designed for devices that are self-powered (video cameras, etc) as it takes up less space than the standard 6-pin FW400 connector. What this means is that when you use it with a drive, the drive has to have another power source.

Godfrey

It should work just fine, the H3D doesn't actually need power from the laptop.
Nick-T
The question to me isn't whether the H3D will work. It's whether connecting the drive to the laptop or to the camera will power the drive.

fotografz

Yes, what was I thinking ... well, I was thinking other devices with no power of their own ... LOL!

The H back has its own power source.

I use a FW800 to 400 with my laptop all the time. It works. So does the adapter.

-Marc

fotografz

The question to me isn't whether the H3D will work. It's whether connecting the drive to the laptop or to the camera will power the drive.
What drive?

The OP asked about tethering his FW 800 H camera to a laptop that doesn't have a FW800 port. He can either use the adapter or a FW800 to 400 cable. Either will work for tethered shooting ... the grip battery powers the camera and the back.

-Marc

P. Chong

do any of you know !
I use a similar system...H3D to Dell. I went for a new cable 800 on camera side, and 400 (4 pin) on the computer side. Works fine.

B

BlueLemon

Beautiful - so a new 800/400 cable would seem to work.

Well will spend a few bucks to test it !

B

BlueLemon

got the cable today - initial i tried with old phocus : result : No Camera connected

Installed Phocus 2.5.5 - still no camera connection ???

What to do ? its a firewire 800/400 cable and the camera is H3D2-39 singleshot

fotografz

got the cable today - initial i tried with old phocus : result : No Camera connected

Does the FW400 port on the laptop work with other devices?

Have you successfully tethered this camera to a different computer in past?

How long is the new cord? In feet please.

What firmware is in the camera? Not Phocus version ... firmware for the camera body and the digital magazine?

-Marc

P. Chong

Interesting. It works on mine with 5m Firewire 400/800. You might need to plug/unplug both sides, on/off the camera a few times. But once it locks, it is stable for whole shoot.

If you look in Device manager is the camera detected?

You may need to install the windows driver for the camera.

B

BlueLemon

Arrhhhh Hasselblad H3D2

As I was trying to figure this out with the firewire, the camera went "ERROR - Invalid Calibration" - i just had it in for repair to fix exactly that...... a dip switch was bend. Got it back after 4 weeks...

And while working this new firewire cable today - the camera went over the edge again while off the FW cable.

I called Goecker who handles all Hasselblad repairs before turning them over to Hasselblad themselfes - spoke with a technician and he spoke also directly with Hasselblad..... verdict :

Camera has to go in for service again - they forgot to adjust the calibration memory the last time it was in for repair.

I´ve almost had it - one more problem with this camera...just a waste of my time.... Where is my 503cw