The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I'm drinking the Pentax 645D Kool aid

kuau

Workshop Member
Dave,
the second image was shot at 45mm on my 45-85mm FA lens, Far from perfect, but for now as good as it gets at that focal length, it's much better then my 45mm FA fixed I still have.
On the first image using the 200mm FA, much better to me at least, but have to be careful with composition / DOF issues shooting with a longer lens.

Steven

Hi Steven,

I just got back to a regular computer moment ago and just took a peak at your posted images. They look really nice and quite natural. What focal legth did you use for the 2nd posted image? Where I am a bit concerned is on the wide end where interaction of a wide angle lens with edge and corner pixels, may be an issue with softness. On the telephoto end of things, it looks really good! Great images indeed! Thanks for posting.

Dave (D&A)

kuau

Workshop Member
Thanks Gary,
Well from the 45-85mm zoom there "OK" i still wish they could be better, yet I am not sure what direction to go, On the image taken with the 200mm, full size pretty happy with.
I tried using my 120mm "A" lens manual focus, but had a difficult time getting good focus because I was not at an infinity situation.

Steven

Those images look terrific to me Steven...even at web-sized resolutions. How do you like the full res files from these two lenses?

Gary

D&A

Hi Steven,

Appreciate the info. Still all in all, the posted images look really good. I think Pentax realizes they have some work to do regarding the wide end on the 645D. They may have the FA35mm but there is too much inconsistancy from sample to sample and this issue will have to be addressed. The "in-development" not yet released 24-25mm Pentax lens, is more of a specialty lens than the 35mm. Therefore on the wide end, it seems to be a "wait and see" what Penatx does, if one wants to use a wide angle Pentax lens on the 645D.

The 200 though looks exceptionally good and glad to hear thats working out.

Regardless of lens, my impression with the 645D, is that the most of the lenses have to be well stopped down to achieve good edge/corner shapness...maybe more so than some other DMF lenses/systems. I noticed that when I shot with the camera briefly.

Lens variability simply seems to be due to the much looser tolerances in those lenses designed in the film era, where exacting precision wasn't necessarily needed for use on film bodies. In addition, certain design pricipals weren't incorporated or considered in their optical design that would have made it advantagous when used on a digital body. Therefore testing a potential sample for use, almost becomes manditory, until this all gets sorted out.

Dave (D&A)

Dave (D&A)