The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Schneider APO Digitar 120/5.6 macro M vs normal N

FromJapan

The Schneider 120mm Makro-Symmar HM, while designed for close-up work is an excellent performer at infinity as well. At infinity, it has an image circle of 125mm, just about covering 4x5. With a digital back, you'll always be using the sweet spot of this lens. And for close work it is truly a great lens. I have one for sale here: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22255

Kumar

gazwas

Can anyone offer any user experience when using the macro and non macro 120mm lenses as to the bellows extension at closer distances? Does the design of the 120mm macro allow for less bellows extension when shooting table top products etc or are the two pretty similar?

Gareth

dick

Can anyone offer any user experience when using the macro and non macro 120mm lenses as to the bellows extension at closer distances? Does the design of the 120mm macro allow for less bellows extension when shooting table top products etc or are the two pretty similar?

Gareth
Bellows extension is simple arithmetic... see Merklinger.

The Macro is not (like most lenses called "macro") optimized for tabletop reproduction ratios, and the standard 120 is recommended for reproduction ratios less than about 1:3, see the Schneider web site.

gazwas

Bellows extension is simple arithmetic... see Merklinger.

The Macro is not (like most lenses called "macro") optimized for tabletop reproduction ratios, and the standard 120 is recommended for reproduction ratios less than about 1:3, see the Schneider web site.
So the optical design has nothing to do with the bellows length, both lens sizes being equal

But for stuff closer up, (say an occasional jewely shot) won't the macro be a better option or is the normal version much better lens at everything else above 1:3 reproduction.

dick

So the optical design has nothing to do with the bellows length, both lens sizes being equal
Yes, so they need equal extension for the same reproduction ratio.
But for stuff closer up, (say an occasional jewely shot) won't the macro be a better option
Yes
...is the normal version much better lens at everything else above 1:3 reproduction.
1:3 is a reduction - subject three times the size of the sensor... with a 50mm sensor the macro would be better for subjects smaller than A6 (about 105mm * 145).

What I call close-up lenses (usually described by the manufacturers as Macro or even micro) are OK for 1:1 to infinity,,, but what I call proper macro lenses are normally optimized for 1:3 to 3:1... but I have a set of Luminars, each optimized for a different range of ratios, and they together give me 1:1 to 40:1.