The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Learning Sinarback 54M

evgeny

Robert, thank!

The http://www.purolator.ca is the first web site that I cannot open from Israel.
Canadapost.ca says "Item accepted at the Post Office".
Israel EMS already returns that processing of the package started June 26.
I wait to receive the package and check digital back, at least a progress is shown.

robsteve

Subscriber
Robert, thank!

The http://www.purolator.ca is the first web site that I cannot open from Israel.
Canadapost.ca says "Item accepted at the Post Office".
Israel EMS already returns that processing of the package started June 26.
I wait to receive the package and check digital back, at least a progress is shown.
That good. The confusion is that Canada Post will offer to send items by Purolator or EMS. Purolator probably handles both for them, but if it goes EMS, the tracking is EMS. If he had sent it overnight via Purolator, the shipping with insurance would probably been $200-300.

Since he sent it EMS, there may be a limit to the insurance coverage. You better make sure everything is fine with it when it arrives.

Robert

David K

Workshop Member
Robert, you get the Good Samaritan award for this one... Nothing worse than worrying if something you've paid for may not be coming.

evgeny

Robert,

the seller said the package is shipped via Express Purolator with 3-5 days of delivery.
EMS Israel is responsible for handling some other carriers, such as usps, when packages arrive in Israel. I suppose EMS Israel will handle Purolator, too, because they show status of this package.

robsteve

Subscriber
Robert,

the seller said the package is shipped via Express Purolator with 3-5 days of delivery.
EMS Israel is responsible for handling some other carriers, such as usps, when packages arrive in Israel. I suppose EMS Israel will handle Purolator, too, because they show status of this package.
I have been told that Canada Post owns a good portion of Purolator. That is why there is the fuzzy line between it going Purolator, (which is Canada's equivalent of Fedex or UPS) or via EMS.

Robert

evgeny

I just ordered Macbook with 4Gb of memory and spare battery from B&H in NY.
I will be able to test the Sinarback when it arrives.

Do you know how long I can shoot tethered with one Macbook battery?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Depends if the Sinar back is drawing power from the laptop or it has it's own power. Something i don't know and actually want to know that for my Phase back also.

Can someone gives us a rundown on this on each back if it actually draws power from the laptop or just connects.

T

thsinar

Evgeny,

that's difficult to say. But when the batteries are new and under normal temperature conditions (around 20°C), it should be about 1,5 to 2 hours.

Don't set any power saving option in your Mac System Preferences "Energy Saver": set both the "Power Adapter" and the "Battery" to "Better Performance"

And yes, Guy the SB 54M/MC does take the power from the Mac, but cannot also be powered separately by an external 12V power supply/battery.

Best regards,
Thierry

I just ordered Macbook with 4Gb of memory and spare battery from B&H in NY.
I will be able to test the Sinarback when it arrives.

Do you know how long I can shoot tethered with one Macbook battery?

evgeny

Thierry, thank you for this Better Performance trick, I think this is very helpful.

I expected Macbook battery to die after 2.5-3 hours of shooting, good to know that it will run shorter. Anyway I can use a spare battery to get 3 hours when shooting on location and buy more batteries for long events.

Thank

T

thsinar

Evgeny,

take this as a guesstimate, it can be that you can go a bit longer. However, I would suggest not to use the back if the batteries are under 1/3 of full capacity: it can be that this "corrupts" the files in some way.

Best regards,
Thierry

Thierry, thank you for this Better Performance trick, I think this is very helpful.

I expected Macbook battery to die after 2.5-3 hours of shooting, good to know that it will run shorter. Anyway I can use a spare battery to get 3 hours when shooting on location and buy more batteries for long events.

Thank

evgeny

Thierry, how "corrupted" files look on the macbook display?
What indicates that a file is "corrupted"?
So, I will not forget to immediately replace the battery.

T

thsinar

If the power voltage is not strong enough anymore, the files may be affected. They will not be corrupted in the sense that one cannot open them, but they may show some kind of lines/streaks.

Thierry

Thierry, how "corrupted" files look on the macbook display?
What indicates that a file is "corrupted"?
So, I will not forget to immediately replace the battery.

Last edited:

evgeny

I received the 54M back and Macbook this morning. Both packages knock to my door within 15 minutes :D

I downloaded CaptureShop 5.6.1.
Connected the back to macbook and shot test images.

All images have green cast.
Should I change some parameters in CaptureShop?
Please guide me :)

T

thsinar

Dear Evgeny,

not a big deal: simply put a grey card or a Macbeth card in the scene, in one of the images and use the "Neutral" pipette to click on it to calibrate and white balance your back. This calibration will then apply on the follwing images shot.

You can use this white balance (neutral) until the light changes. By any new light situation, it is recommended to proceed the same way by doing a balance on a 18% grey.

Best regards,
Thierry

I received the 54M back and Macbook this morning. Both packages knock to my door within 15 minutes :D

I downloaded CaptureShop 5.6.1.
Connected the back to macbook and shot test images.

All images have green cast.
Should I change some parameters in CaptureShop?
Please guide me :)

evgeny

Thierry, thanks. I don't have a gray card, will try something.

I got the following message when open CaptureShop with attached 54M: "you should install or create sensor reference for this Sinarback to obtain maximum image quality". What should I do, step by step?

T

thsinar

Dear Evgeny,

yes, this message is normal: each back/sensor comes with a CD on which you can find the so-called "Reference Files" of this particular back/sensor.
YOu will find on the CD either the files as such, which you simply copy in the following folder in your "USERS":

- "Users" ---> "Library" ---> "Application Support" ---> "Sinar" ---> "Captureshop" --->"Calibration" ---> "Shading" (copy in this foder).

Or then there is an installer on this same CD which does the installation of the same files for you: double-click it and follow the steps appearing on the screen.

If you don't have the CD anymore, you can have a copy of it by asking either the distributor in your country or contact our Sinar Tech Dpt.
However, there is a handling fee charged for this.

It is possible to work and capture images without these files installed, but it is not recommended, since it can create sometimes images with various artifacts on it. So better install it.

On a side note: there is a online "Captureshop HELP" when opening Captureshop: go to the Menu bar, select "Help" and "Captureshop Help" from the drop-down menu. For this it needs to install the "Sinar Captureshop Help" installer, which can be downloaded from our webpage, if you are registered in our "Sinar Owners' Group". If not registered yet, and to have access to the "Download" section, please go to our webpage and go to the "Login" section. There fill-in the form and details asked, with the serial number of your back, and click the "send" button: it will generate an automated reply with a "User Name" and "Password" to access the "Downloads".

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Thierry

Thierry, thanks. I don't have a gray card, will try something.

I got the following message when open CaptureShop with attached 54M: "you should install or create sensor reference for this Sinarback to obtain maximum image quality". What should I do, step by step?