The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Learning Sinarback 54M

evgeny

Hi there.

I expect to receive my first MFDB Sinarback 54M in a week or two.
I want to be prepared before I open the box and mount the back to my Contax 645.

Please recommend on-line resources about how to use the back, software, macbook, how tos, best practices, etc to be ready in studio and outdoors.

Thank

Hauxon

Congrats on you new back! Did you buy the one that was on ebay last week? I had one eye on it but didn't bid since it was Contax mount. Am I correct that the 54M is teethered only? Great quality back from what I've seen from it, and compact too. Thierry (theSinar) and Graham (foto-z) shoud have some advice for you :)

Hrannar

T

thsinar

Dear Evgeny,

Congratulations for your purchase of a Sinarback and welcome in our family.

There is not much to be said at this stage that could help you.

All you'll have to do is to connect your back via FW cable to your Mac, launch Captureshop and set the camera you are using the back with (in your case Contax) by going to "Captureshop Menu" ---> "Hardware Setup" and from the window appearing choose in the dropdown menu the Contax, wait a few seconds for the back to be detected (the serial number and type of back will appear in the bottom of this window) and click "OK".

See also attached screenshots.

You can download Captureshop 5.6 (latest version) from our webpage:

www.sinarcameras.com ---> "Downloads" ---> "Software"

First you need to register (free) to our SOG (SInar Owners' Group), by filling in a form with the serial number of your back (or other Sinar product): it is done in a few seconds and will generate and send you automatically a "User Name" and "Password" to login and access the "Downloads" zone.

There is a very helpfull "Capture Shop Help" online: see screenshot. It explains CS and all its features.

That's all I can say for the time being.

Best regards,
Thierry

Hi there.

I expect to receive my first MFDB Sinarback 54M in a week or two.
I want to be prepared before I open the box and mount the back to my Contax 645.

Please recommend on-line resources about how to use the back, software, macbook, how tos, best practices, etc to be ready in studio and outdoors.

Thank
I had some experience with a 54M back and used it for two-three weeks when I had to find a 54M or 54H in order to upgrade the firmware on my Sinar M-camera (impossible to upgrade throuth eMotion backs.

It is a very simple to use and comfortable to work configuration. I have a similar back, the 54H and I love the color off the Kodak sensor. AFAIK the eXposure 6.X does not support the 54M and 54H backs. So your workflow will be Captureshop. It is very stable with tethering backs and I see only one fault - it is the difficult to use Colour Ball for color and white balancing. You will easily overcome this limitation with a grey card shot and saving the setting.

Please PM me if you have any questions.
Yevgeny

evgeny

Congrats on you new back! Did you buy the one that was on ebay last week? I had one eye on it but didn't bid since it was Contax mount. Am I correct that the 54M is teethered only? Great quality back from what I've seen from it, and compact too. Thierry (theSinar) and Graham (foto-z) shoud have some advice for you :)

Hrannar
Hi, yes I bought it last week on eBay. It works teethered only. I think it was a good deal and interesting auction. :clap:

Last edited:

evgeny

Just a question rised in my head - are there any useful/recommended accessories to shoot the 54M back outdoors ?

In studio it should be easy :)

Last edited:

David K

Workshop Member
Congratulations on your new back... i hope you'll share some images from it when you have time. As far as accessories for shooting outdoors, you might consider getting a shade to screen your laptop from the glare of the sun. Also there are some platforms that attach to a tripod or lighting stand to hold the laptop that might be of interest. I don't do much of this but maybe others can provide a link. If you're going to add RAM, you might take a look at Other World Computing. They have very good deals and prices.

As far as the best accessory for tethered outside shooting in the urban environment is concerned, I find the Executive Protection squad or a minder/assistant is the must. At least here, in Russia. :cool:

evgeny

Yevgeny thank!

I use Bogen / Manfrotto 458B NeoTec Pro Photo Tripod with a 468 ball head.

Sometimes in studio I also use Berlebach 3022 wooden tripod with a panoramic head, mainly to mount my most heavy equipment, such as the 20x80 and 22x100 binoculars for astronomy and observing deep skies.

I will check what these manufacturers offer to support macbook on location.

evgeny

That seller sends me messages, average three times per week, he promise to ship the Sinarback 54M to Israel. Two weeks are over, and my back is not shipped, yet.

I opened today a dispute on eBay/PayPal, which soon may escalate into PayPal Claim.
I just think who can do a better job, PayPal, Interpol or Mossad. :ROTFL:

eBayers be aware: "leica-historica" aka Seyed Sajadi from Richmond Hill, Ontario, ON, Canada. I can get more details about the seller later.

Last edited:

robsteve

Subscriber
or Mossad. :ROTFL:
The Mossad have been known to use fake Canadian passports, so the Mossad may already be in Ontario:)

I looked at his feedback and there are a couple mentions of items shipping from Dubai, not Canada.

Robert

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Robert I remember a thread on LUF about some guy doing leica scams , is this the same guy.

Actually just looked him up on e-bay . Looks legit and has decent feedback and is a seller of camera gear. Hopefully this is just a case of being lazy and just not shipping fast enough or stuck in customs. I am still waiting on a part from Hong Kong that looks like I will never get it and was stuck in customs. Luckily it is only a 100 dollars

Fingers crossed here it works out okay

Stuart Richardson

Ebay is a real problem at times. Some guy from Hong Kong won my DMR, and then said, "I did not make those bids. I would not bid that much for a DMR that I can buy new in Hong Kong for that price." So now I am left with some guy who won the auction, but refuses to pay.

Yevgeniy, I hope that you get your Sinarback eventually. The files from the 54M are some of the best that I have seen in terms of color...they are just fantastic.

evgeny

Robert,
I asked him specifically, before my bid in auction, if he is really stay in Canada, can ship to Israel or needs the time to first receive the item from Dubai (shipping from Dubai to Israel is not possible), or should I pass the auction due to location of the item. He said yes, he is in Canada, will ship to Israel, no worries.

I sell many items on eBay, I know well about fast shipping and normal short delays. 2 weeks is more than enough to ship (arrange shipment) small package, also in case of holidays, illness, etc. My impression is that he never said the truth.

The dispute on eBay/PayPal must be resolved within 20 days. Of course I want the 54M, not refund.

evgeny

Exactly while I wrote my previous message I received two e-mails.
First my private channel in Canada sent me full address of that guy. I wanted it just in any case.
Second the seller just updated status to shipped and sent me tracking number via PayPal. I don't know how to track Canada Post Xpress Service - Purlator, but at least something happen. :ROTFL:

evgeny

Thank for the links.
The purolator.ca cannot open.
The canadapost.ca says "The information may not be available if your item was mailed recently". I will check tracking number later.
:thumbup: