The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Special Announcement: Phase One new IQ backs

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Well, I'm in the 20% discount bracket but I'm not willing to trade in my current back because I love the square format so that leaves me with 0% discount!

So my strategy for now is to sit tight and wait for Guy to trade either up or across for an IQ back, then wait until he gets a second itch to trade up again and list his first IQ back on the buy and sell and then maybe I'll have a chance. If history proves me correct, the wait should not be that long!!! :D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I do like the improved tech, no question. HOWEVER >>> When I upgraded to the P65+ from the P45+, there was not a significant gain in IQ; I did it because of the smoother color and tonality. In my usage right now, the improved tech will gain me little -- I have very few lost frames due to technical, focus or exposure issues from my P65+/DF and current AF lens combos. And the cost of an upgrade to the IQ180 looks to be ~$15,000, which is simply out of my budget for this year just to gain some cool tech and an extra 20MP I don't have a need for. Now if it was only $4K for a lateral move to the IQ160, then probably. Otherwise it may be 2012 before I can afford or justify the cool tech.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I'm with Jack... I don't need or even want the extra pixels. The new screen would be very nice, the rest of it is of no import to me. If the DR had improved significantly, that would have had me checking my balances but as it is, the's no new technology here so I think I'll wait until there's is. A new body would be of much greater interest to me...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well, I'm in the 20% discount bracket but I'm not willing to trade in my current back because I love the square format so that leaves me with 0% discount!

So my strategy for now is to sit tight and wait for Guy to trade either up or across for an IQ back, then wait until he gets a second itch to trade up again and list his first IQ back on the buy and sell and then maybe I'll have a chance. If history proves me correct, the wait should not be that long!!! :D
Yea i am pretty :loco: and you can bet I will :deadhorse: beat myself into something or my wife certainly will. I am hiding all baseball bats around the house.

Okay in all honesty i have been up since 3 am and truth be told not ONE person whining about the tech on this damn thing. On paper it is just about dead perfect. Sure Wifi and 2 card slots would be great but all the whining about LCD size and quality just went flying out the door. Looking at the tutorials in different shooters hands it looks deadly good. The interface , battery, layout, connection cabling , LCD screen and layout is just extremely nice.
Now we are down to price and sure the lateral looks stupid right now until they come out with real lateral pricing. For us folks we are buying the tech and new warranties, lets see a realistic price on that and watch out we all are going to do something. I'm willing to pay for the tech no question but I think we all can agree it has to be realistic as well. At least for me it does.

I am really looking forward to shooting this week with it and I know Jack is as well but we have to keep it in perspective. I love my P40+ and to move me this thing is going to have to shake me really hard. This is not a NEED this is a WANT. I have no issues with my current back as far as need it fills it perfectly and for us upgrading it will be more a WANT than need. Thats a harder sell.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The new technology does seem very positive for Tech Camera users though -- almost eliminates the need for GG or laser RF gadgets.

Guy Mancuso

Agree Jack . Tech users should be lining up out the door for this. No question in my mind it completely solves focus issues and seeing tilt and shift movements. Just keep making the adjustments and your in. With the one touch zoom feature and high res. display not to mention focus mask . How the heck can you miss.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The new technology does seem very positive for Tech Camera users though -- almost eliminates the need for GG or laser RF gadgets.
Agreed, too, which is the reason it has my interest. The good news is it is there now and it and more will be there in the future so no need for me to panic because I mange to get things in focus now. But with the current LCD I am never sure until I get the images home and on my monitor, so I do a lot of focus bracketing. If good, the new screen would certainly help.

Terry

I am now abandoning all hope a slipping down the slippery slope. As Guy/Jack point out for me it:

1)eliminates the need for a viewfinder
2)eliminates the desire for a sliding back
3)eliminates any thought of getting the Arca e-module

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
And Terry, all those "eliminations" just about pay for the upgrade! :D :D :D

:ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

I am now abandoning all hope a slipping down the slippery slope. As Guy/Jack point out for me it:

1)eliminates the need for a viewfinder
2)eliminates the desire for a sliding back
3)eliminates any thought of getting the Arca e-module

4 it eliminates a laptop in the field too.

Your toast just count on one. LOL

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I only have one thing to add regarding the whole upgrade cost versus benefit analysis dilemma: