The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Special Announcement: Phase One new IQ backs

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
New press release for Phase One IQ backs. This was in Embargo till 6 am this morning.

Phase One Announces IQ Series
Digital Camera Backs

Designed for Ultimate Creative Freedom

Copenhagen, January 24, 2011 — Phase One, the world’s leading pro photography equipment provider, today announced a bold new generation of medium format digital camera backs. The Phase One IQ180, IQ160 and IQ140 digital camera backs feature maximum resolutions of 80, 60.5 and 40 high quality megapixels respectively. This series sets new standards for medium format camera system handling and performance.

The Phase One IQ180 captures at full-frame 80 megapixel resolution, with a dynamic range of 12.5 f-stops. It is the first product of its kind to feature a USB3 connection, facilitating faster image transfers in the future. The IQ180 also features a FireWire 800 connection, ensuring the fastest tethered capture speeds possible today. For untethered shooting, the IQ180 digital back’s new memory card interface is so fast that it eliminates buffering delays, supporting continuous shooting until a card is filled.

“I am amazed by the image quality I’ve gotten ‘out of the box’ with the Phase One IQ180 on the Phase One 645DF camera. I can create images with more detail and unique looks than with any other camera out there. It helps me develop styles unique to me,” said lifestyle photographer Jens Honoré. (website: http://www.jenshonore.com/)

A newly-designed 3.2 inch retina type, multi touch screen features 1.15 megapixel resolution, providing the highest resolution and largest display of any SLR type camera available today. This means that very fine details can be checked instantly during a photo shoot -- for instance using Phase One’s unique Focus Mask and the instant zoom function. The automatic adjustment of brightness and contrast ensures that the display is visible under various light conditions.

Context-sensitive controls, such as the instant zoom function, allow a photographer to zoom into an image using one finger only. Small histograms and highlight warnings can be enlarged to full screen view by a simple touch. The new Focus Mask available during preview helps validate depth-of-field and image focus. The wide format display allows for a full 4:3 aspect ratio VGA resolution image next to histogram, highlight warning, focus mask, EXIF data, and touch controls. This touch screen display is complemented by Phase One’s intuitive 4-button navigation.

“The new high-resolution multi touch screen with its intuitive controls is a perfect tool for checking image quality right at the moment of capture. With this display quality, I can leave my laptop at home, and ultimately this makes my work easier,” said architectural photographer, Eugeni Pons. (website: http://www.eugeni-pons.com/)

Phase One’s patent-pending Sensor+ technology, built into the Phase One IQ180, supports a variety of shooting conditions. One can capture images with full 80 megapixels resolution or, using Sensor+ mode, switch instantly to capture images with 20 megapixels resolution at 4 times higher sensitivity, up to ISO 3200. This flexibility is very useful under low light conditions; there is no need to slow down to change cameras, and there’s no crop or lens factor. One gets the maximum wide-angle performance from the existing lens, higher ISO levels, and a faster workflow.

According to fashion photographer Stefan Kapfer, “The new IQ180 suits my work very well. I can use the full 80 megapixel resolution for my high end fashion shots, and the 20 megapixel images I get from the Sensor+ technology give me a faster workflow when I do work for catalogue production. It’s really two perfect solutions in one system.” (website: http://www.stefankapfer.de/)

Compatibility is improved between the IQ digital backs and the Phase One 645DF camera body. The power state of the digital back can now be controlled directly from the 645DF camera. An integrated battery charger ensures that the battery is charged while one is shooting tethered, offering more shooting versatility.

Capture One 6
Capture One 6 has been optimized for shooting with Phase One IQ digital backs. Together with the IQ series backs this professional RAW converter and image editing software will deliver the world’s highest image quality with excellent color and detail. The software comprises all the tools required to capture, organize, edit, share and print images for an efficient workflow.

Reliability and Service
Pro photographers can rely on Phase One IQ digital backs to get their jobs done. Their highly durable build quality is designed and tested to work in the toughest environments, including extreme heat, cold and humidity.

All Phase One products represent long-term investment value with superior service. For professionals, this protection is priceless, especially when shooting in unfamiliar situations and locations around the world.

Various service levels are available for Phase One IQ digital backs. For example, a value-added option includes a life-time (5 year) warranty, a free loaner unit during repair and other options. Phase One offers 365 days round the clock support delivered on-line and backed up by dedicated partners and a global support team.
For a complete list of all the new Phase One IQ digital back features, including supported camera bodies, please see www.phaseone.com/iq

Availability and Pricing
The Phase One IQ180 is expected to be available end of April 2011. The Phase One IQ160 and IQ140 are expected to be available end of May 2011. The products may be ordered now through Phase One professional photography partners worldwide: www.phaseone.com/partners

Prices for new digital backs start at 16.990 EUR / 21.990 USD. Attractive upgrade offers are available for all existing Phase One photographers.
People interested in a demo of the new products can sign up for a live demo here: www.phaseone.com/demo

About Phase One
Phase One is the world’s leader in open-platform based medium format camera systems and solutions. Phase One medium format cameras, digital backs and lenses are designed to deliver superior quality image capture and investment value. Phase One’s Capture One software helps streamline capture and post-production processes. Phase One products are known for their quality, flexibility and speed enabling pro photographers shooting in a wide range of formats to achieve their creative visions without compromise. For more information, please visit Phase One at http://www.phaseone.com. Follow Phase One on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/PhaseOneWW

Phase One is an employee-owned company based in Copenhagen with offices in New York, London, Tokyo, Cologne, Shanghai and Hong Kong.

Phase One and Capture One are registered trademarks of Phase One A/S. All other brand or product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.

# # #

Phase One PR Contact
Kathy Madison, Arcand & Madison Public Relations
Phone: +1.781.259.1764
E-mail: Kathy(at)am-pr.com

Guy Mancuso

Also another special announcement for GetDPI. Phase One has asked Jack and I to get a first look with shooting the new 80 mpx back this week for a full day in San Francisco along with Kevin Raber and executive management of Phase One. As usual Jack and i will give it our full attention along with reviews,posted images and a few surprises to come. After this week the back will go on a run across the country to all the dealers for product demo's and such. Watch for dealers special announcements on demo's and events around the country along with pricing and upgrade paths for existing Phase One shooters.

Guy Mancuso

As the day unfolds and more data is announced outside this press release and some features not published yet to me this is not just another band aid. This is a revolutionary product for MF backs. This is very exciting I have to admit and although not exactly planning to upgrade this year. This does make a case for thinking about it sooner than later.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Don't take this to the bank as initial pricing is a bit soft due to the Euro-Dollar conversion, and trade-up details are fuzzy. But with that disclaimer it looks like approximately $22K for the IQ140, $35K for the IQ160 and $44K for the IQ180 backs. The existing P40+ ad P65+ will remain in production at approximately $10K less than the equivalent IQ model. The trade-up program is confusing, but initial comments suggested that you take a discount off the new back based on the MP count of your trade-in back. So if I understood that correctly, in theory a P40+ trade would get you 40% off whatever back you want to upgrade to.

I'm sure more concise and accurate pricing and upgrade information will be forthcoming.

Guy Mancuso

Morning everyone . Its 3 am my time and going back to bed. LOL

I'll be flying over to SF this week to meet up with Jack and we will be giving this thing a run for our special report on it. Thanks Guy

Guy Mancuso

Not mentioned in the Press release is the back battery is inside the back for weather sealing. It uses the same battery as our existing batteries but it is inside a rubber gasket sealed door. Pretty cool idea.

tjv

Love the new look of this, even if I can't imagine ever being able to afford one. Hope they come out with a better body option soon too, the DF is, IMHO, in dire need of a total rethink.

Guy Mancuso

The DF is the best they have come out with to date but that does not mean they are not working on something new in the future. IMHO it is now there weakest link in the system but I still actually like the DF myself. It actually fits me but others certainly do not. Just like any other cam. But it does function so much better than previous models for sure.

Tim Ernst

Kudos to Phase for keeping four-buttons as an alternative instead of going to just touch screen - sometimes buttons work better so now we can use both. The only downside to the new design is lack of a rotating sensor for us tech camera users.

Guy Mancuso

I agree Tim I first read it as the buttons are on screen but i would rather them be where they have been outside on there own. This keeps our hands off the screen for Full Images. If you read this correctly which i am still going back and rereading it seems like a FULL 4:3 image with data on the side like histo, exif, highlight control . So they moved the on screen data off to the side of the image. Which is brillant as you can see your full image than zoom in or better yet use the focus mask to see if your in or not. Tech cam owners should be THRILLED at this. Rotating sensor would have been nice i agree but maybe no room inside now by enclosing the battery but that is speculation on my part. I'm sure the Phase folks will comment on some of the tech here soon or i will ask these questions this week.

BTW if folks have questions that want us to ask , we can start a list and we can present them to the Phase folks. We will be with Kevin Raber which leads up the PODAS workshops. Murray Elliot VP of Sales and Claus Pederson President of Phase one.

Also all our dealers that are members here will be online most likely all day fielding questions as well and have there own special announcements.

Terry

Kudos to Phase for keeping four-buttons as an alternative instead of going to just touch screen - sometimes buttons work better so now we can use both. The only downside to the new design is lack of a rotating sensor for us tech camera users.
Are you saying you can't mount it vertically or it doesn't rotate internally like the Leaf?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If the image review is as sharp as it initially appears then that'll be one big plus with the new camera alone!!

I think Tim is referring to lack of rotating sensor - you can still mount the back in portrait mode as you would do today.

For tech camera use I'd like to know more about the power modes & need or not for wake up cables etc.

Tim Ernst

Yes, they saved a bit of screen real estate by locating the buttons kind of on the side. One thing to note though about this great new big screen - the actual 4:3 image will be smaller than the width of the screen since it can't take up the entire screen uncropped, and you must make room for the histo on the side, but it is still miles ahead of what they have now, and of course it is not just more real estate since the screen will be so much better image quality to begin with. The fullscreen advertising shots they are using are obviously cropped and not 4:3 - the end result will be something in between what they have now and a Leaf screen size.

No internal rotating sensor like Leaf - you can remove and rotate the back as normal.

Guy Mancuso

From what it sounds like it will be more like a Iphone display but with even better resolution. Have to see this in person this week but it sounds awesome. If it is really good tethering could be less of a issue and getting proper focus that you can SEE on screen would be a major break through IMHO. From what i read right now sounds like the best thing around in regards to LCD. Even it does take some small real estate for the info display on the side it will still be big enough I think for image. Jack and I will be looking at that very hard and show images of that specifically for sure.

Guy Mancuso

This comment in the press release does sound really good.

A newly-designed 3.2 inch retina type, multi touch screen features 1.15 megapixel resolution, providing the highest resolution and largest display of any SLR type camera available today. This means that very fine details can be checked instantly during a photo shoot -- for instance using Phase One’s unique Focus Mask and the instant zoom function. The automatic adjustment of brightness and contrast ensures that the display is visible under various light conditions.

So even lets say for example wide it maybe for image only 2.75 inches wide. Have to measure of course but maybe we can get a answer on that today. That still seems darn big for a LCD.

Digitalcameraman

I agree Tim I first read it as the buttons are on screen but i would rather them be where they have been outside on there own. This keeps our hands off the screen for Full Images. If you read this correctly which i am still going back and rereading it seems like a FULL 4:3 image with data on the side like histo, exif, highlight control . So they moved the on screen data off to the side of the image. Which is brillant as you can see your full image than zoom in or better yet use the focus mask to see if your in or not. Tech cam owners should be THRILLED at this. Rotating sensor would have been nice i agree but maybe no room inside now by enclosing the battery but that is speculation on my part. I'm sure the Phase folks will comment on some of the tech here soon or i will ask these questions this week.

BTW if folks have questions that want us to ask , we can start a list and we can present them to the Phase folks. We will be with Kevin Raber which leads up the PODAS workshops. Murray Elliot VP of Sales and Claus Pederson President of Phase one.

Also all our dealers that are members here will be online most likely all day fielding questions as well and have there own special announcements.

Look forward to seeing your test Jack and Guy. But the real party will be in Atlanta, Feb 8 and 9 where the US launch will take place with all the officials from Phase One and Capture Integration will host a opportunity for anyone to shoot with this new amazing technology for the first time.

This is the year that MF DIgital Photography will change. We have all be waiting on the flavor enriched products to arrive and they have done an excellent job on this product.

Hope to se both of you in Atlanta where Dr Claus will tell us everything he did to make this camera what every has wanted.

Sincerely,

Chris Snipes
Sales Manager, Florida
Capture Integration
http://www.captureintegration.com

2010 Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

404.522.7662 Atlanta
305.350.9900 Miami
877.217.9870 National
813.335.2473 Cell

Subscribe to our RSS Feed

Guy Mancuso

Morning Chris I wish Jack and I could make it to your event but we start our winter workshop that day here in AZ. Bummed to be honest as it sounds really nice too. Folks should try to go and get there hands on this for sure.

thomas

But with that disclaimer it looks like approximately $22K for the IQ140, $35K for the IQ160 and $44K for the IQ180 backs. The existing P40+ ad P65+ will remain in production at approximately $10K less than the equivalent IQ model.
so in turn about 10K for the LCD with the new iPhone-like navigation options, focus mask feature and "some kind of live preview". Other than that there are not so much features compared to the P+ backs.
Makes the Leaf Apt.II 12 even more attractive...

Guy Mancuso

Firewire 800, USB 3 and several other things as well but yes everyone will have to see how much this will or will not change there life and decide. We still have to hear the official pricing and upgrade path for sure. I was even thinking a lateral move but need to sit down and figure that all out myself. Going to be interesting for sure.

Problem is i get this bloody thing in my hands i will want it. leaving CC at home