The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Special Announcement: Phase One new IQ backs

Professional

Phase One chose Dubai to launch it officially, i was there to touch this new DB, it is great from first impression, but we couldn't have it to test it in real, so good luck you people to test it, i will see your reviews about it.

SergeiR

Well.. Bugger.. Me.. :( Ok. got to pay off for the flat first, and then i will ponder on this again ;) Either that or pick up some incredibly well paid gig so i can justify... things... (or semi-justify)

Don Libby

This year has started off great compared to last year - now if I can only keep it going for a while longer. I like the idea of hell just about everything I read about both the 60 and 80 and figure the cost difference between the two is something like $4k.

Not too sure if either would eliminate a viewfinder however it would be nice to have a focus mask.

Speaking of masks - Guy can I borrow yours after you done with it? :angel:

:watch:

thomas

1)eliminates the need for a viewfinder
how so? Do you think the 3fps live preview is sufficient to arrange and compose an image?

2)eliminates the desire for a sliding back
with a single lens kit maybe. But if you exchange lenses the sensor is still unprotected. So you have an unprotectet sensor on the tripod and two unprotected $3-5K lenses (each) in your hands.

Christopher

Well for me it certainly would. I have my iPhone for rough framing and can imagine that live view works great for fine tuning the framing. I also think the sensor isn't really unprotected, or at least not very long on a Arca. I would say around 2-3 seconds until I switch a lens. In addition, I don't know about the Arca sliding back adapter, but the linhof was never 100% sealed against dust, so in a a very dusty envirmont I am not so sure if the sliding back option is moren protective.

Terry

Well for me it certainly would. I have my iPhone for rough framing and can imagine that live view works great for fine tuning the framing. I also think the sensor isn't really unprotected, or at least not very long on a Arca. I would say around 2-3 seconds until I switch a lens. ...

Ditto for me.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well for me it certainly would. I have my iPhone for rough framing and can imagine that live view works great for fine tuning the framing. I also think the sensor isn't really unprotected, or at least not very long on a Arca. I would say around 2-3 seconds until I switch a lens. In addition, I don't know about the Arca sliding back adapter, but the linhof was never 100% sealed against dust, so in a a very dusty envirmont I am not so sure if the sliding back option is moren protective.
I like the idea you don't need to carry around all that stuff. I may get a TC even that is the style I would like to see in tech cams is easy simple one, two, three ,check and done. This would be heaven for it.

Christopher

I really don't like the whole % upgrade thing from Phase, it would have been so much better to get some normal numbers. Just curios, but what will give me a P45 or P45+? Both 45% off like the Hassi 39 which gets 39% or is it different because the P45 is to old?

And any news on cross upgrades? P40 to iq140 and 60 to 160?

thomas

I think it depends on what you shoot...
I often need to see the precise center point of the image (of the camera respectively)... so neither an iPhone nor a viewfinder would work for me. For composition only a groundglass with grid works for me... (or any kind of "through the lens" viewing...)

Guy Mancuso

Thomas the Phase backs still have the grid in them even though it is after the fact I believe. I look at a tech cam with this kind of back like this. It's a Polaroid until I get exactly what i want. We shoot tethered that way get everything lined up with lighting framing and such. I see this as a easier way for the tech cam user by far. You almost guarantee your image is on the money. Can all tech cam users walk away from a scene and say I nailed it. You may but the question still remains like film and waiting till you get to the lab. To me with the focus mask, zoom feature and nice high res display it would be a lot easier pill to swallow when you walk away and say you nailed it. Horses for courses as always. But the extra added features in my mind makes this back for a tech cam a much better solution than sliding backs , viewfinders and all the appendages we have hanging off these things. Plus a lot less load and junk to carry around. Sliding backs are nice but lets be honest not fun to haul around everywhere.

Guy Mancuso

I really don't like the whole % upgrade thing from Phase, it would have been so much better to get some normal numbers. Just curios, but what will give me a P45 or P45+? Both 45% off like the Hassi 39 which gets 39% or is it different because the P45 is to old?

And any news on cross upgrades? P40 to iq140 and 60 to 160?
I'm with you on the percentages . Just give me hard numbers so i can cry about in a normal manner. LOL

chmilar

The semi-live view may eliminate the need for the "slide" part of a Rotaslide on a tech camera.

It looks like the "rota" part will still be desirable, though. It would be preferable to removing the back, or flipping the camera on its side.

Guy Mancuso

Yea agree would be nice to rotate the sensor. My guess and just a guess is there is no room left to rotate it. Question I will ask this week