The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Special Announcement: Phase One new IQ backs

chmilar

I was thinking more along the lines of:

Companies like Arca could introduce a new, simpler "Rota" product to live alongside of the Rotaslide, since the "slide" will not be needed by many photogs.

The advantage of internal rotation is that the screen and buttons will stay in the same locations. The disadvantage is that the screen will be in landscape orientation still, when you are shooting portrait orientation.

R

Rafa

I understand we all are struggling to justify this in our budget for the year. Dang, I just got the V-grip for the DF and spent mucho dinero on Nikon gear and I thought that was it for the year :) but I for one applaud all the new improvements including the lcd, touch interface, semi live-view, enclosed battery, etc ... and I'm looking forward to getting my grubby hands on one to take it for a spin.
Just sayin ...

Rafa

PeterA

Phase One have done an excellent job of shifting the product specification benchmark up and adding serious differentiation from their competitors to their backs.

I have to say that introducing the new LCD and other enhnancements across the range of megapixels is a very good thing. Typically companies introduce the enhancements via their highest margin product - and then slowly introducing the same down the line. Phase has been very good in giving buyers a choice.

My intereest in MFD backs is prinicipally for tech camera use - in particular the Alpa. The LCD and focus verification tech will make any of these backs so much easier to use in this form.

Well done Phase One - it takes a lot to tempt me... If only I could use one on my Hy6 as well as Alpa...

Audii-Dudii

Hmm ... I'm about as frugal as they come (No, seriously!), but the possibility of having a passable "Live View" feature available to compose and focus could very well tempt me to switch gears and pop the bucks to move from my Contax 645 to a tech camera outfit. Alas, most of my photography these days is done at night and a 60-second exposure limit just won't cut it for me regardless of how well these backs perform otherwise... <sniff, sniff>

Anders_HK

awesome! now to wait for Hasselblad to bring something similar out :p
Indeed awesome back. However, is not a serious question of when we can get to see Leaf backs based on same technology? With Leaf being owned by Phase One one could wish that they will share this technology and even components but implement a'la Leaf. That would be interesting :)

Regards
Anders

etrump

Live view in any flavor along with the focus mask sounds too good to be true. Can hardly wait to slap this thing on the back of my tech camera. My biggest problem is slight focus and DOF misteps which sound like they will pretty much be eliminated.

Makes me wonder how many batteries I'll need to carry around to get through the day.

Steve Hendrix

Am I correct in assuming a ZD back won't qualify for a 22% discount?

Jan - no you are not correct. The ZD back will indeed generate a 22% discount from either an IQ140, IQ160, or IQ180.

I like the percent idea, it elminates the need for any comprehensive (and complicated) upgrade pricing charts. Of course, you do need a calculator. Or just ask us, we have all the numbers memorized already!

Steve Hendrix

georgl

Fantastic!
Finally someone has taken some money in their hands and improved MFDBs!
Everything but an Alpa in front would be blasphemy, though ;-)

By the way, it's a 81mm display with 800 x 480 Pixels resolution, it's common in smartphones and works quite well there.

goesbang

I recently had the honour of being invited by Phase to run a demo shoot for a group of Phase One Partners right here in Dubai.
During the shoot, mid afternoon on a sunny day, one of the dealers asked how it handled shooting into the sun, so I did just that. Shot a model wearing a black shaggy hat with the sun directly in frame. Frankly, I was stunned. Peach smooth skin tones, lots of detail in the black hat and NO blooming from the sun. (IQ180 and 110mmLS).
The screen truly is something to behold. It is sharp and tonally rich enough to make both exposure and compositional decisions from. The zoom in function is FAST - faster than my MacPro tower. Apparently this is because the back can access data from the card much faster.
Tech cam buffs are going to love this back. Unfortunately, the unit I was shooting with was a prototype and not tech cam enabled, so I couldn't slap it on the Alpa. However, the detailed screen, fast zoom and focus mask alone make this very very exciting. Alas I couldn't test the live view but I am told its gonna rock my world.
Another function that will help us enormously is a bi directional electronic level.The data from this is also embedded in the file, so you can auto-level in C1 later.
The legendary case strength is still there. Whilst he's no elephant,I have pictures of Poul Husum from Phase standing on a back on a tiled floor.
First impressions are VERY positive.
Cheers,

R

Ronan

Funny how everyone is so hype about the LCD...

In the DSLR world we are fighting companies NOT to put touchscreen, and to keep the LCD's under control... :p

But hey... give it a couple more years and we will be watching movies on our widescreen DSLR/DMF camera's while shooting...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I actually never understood WHY it took so long to incorporate such screens into MFDBs! Apple has shown this technology already 4 years ago when they introduced the iPhone. So it took 4 more years to come close to that for MFDBs.

I simply call that IGNORANCE - sorry.

Thanks god we have finally arrived there!

goesbang

Good question, just bad that it doesn't help me, after I spent already 40k in EURs on a P65, but well that was more like 22 months ago ;)
Look on the bright side Chris, you still have an awesome back, which is probably worth as much as the Phase trade in value on the open market.

goesbang

That's why I want to know how much a P45 gets me ;)
My understanding of the offer is that it will get you 45% off the price of the new back.
Just remember that none of the new backs have the long exposure capability of the P45+
As for its open market resale value, some online research will probably help. A chat to your dealer might be a good idea too. Our values here in the Middle East are a little different from your part of the world, so any ideas I might have don't count.
My personal view as a pro shooter is that it is worth finding a way to trade up, but you should reserve that decision until you have done more homework.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
My understanding of the offer is that it will get you 45% off the price of the new back.
Just remember that none of the new backs have the long exposure capability of the P45+
As for its open market resale value, some online research will probably help. A chat to your dealer might be a good idea too. Our values here in the Middle East are a little different from your part of the world, so any ideas I might have don't count.
My personal view as a pro shooter is that it is worth finding a way to trade up, but you should reserve that decision until you have done more homework.

Could not have said it better myself. I am looking into it also. I want the new tech. It maybe a lateral but that is okay. I love the P40+ sensor. Like the crop to be a bit less but i can deal with it.

My big problem with this outside of the money part, is on paper and I will know this week i am not seeing any downside to what they did to these backs. Yea maybe dual card slots and maybe a one or two other things but it is what we have been screaming for over 4 years. They actually did what we asked for. Sure the DF could use a completely new non film based body overall but the back, lenses and software I can't beat anywhere else. I'm sure a new body is down the road and i actually think the DF is pretty good not exceptional but workable for me.