The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One => not for photographers

R

Ronan

I had the money to buy my new back (not one of THOSE backs :D) because I still drive a toyota corolla I bought in 1998!

All the models/musicians that I shoot will think my gear is the best in town! (as long as they don't see what I drive up in.) :ROTFL:
I'm a car guy... and a watch guy.

My 2 vices... but i don't drink or smoke...

:ROTFL:

To stay on topic, those companies choose to charge those ridiculous prices... because they can.

But give it time, the market will grow larger and the DMF backs will drop in price.

Or buy used, they don't retain much value as soon the newer/shinier version is out.

goesbang

The first time that I ever looked at a photography forum was about 3 years ago. I surfed through the endless galleries and conversations and couldn't figure out how anybody could possibly be making money shooting any of it. It was as if every discussion revolved around types of photography that I knew to be a loser in terms of making money. (decent executive lifestyle type income etc)

Then it dawned on me that the average photo enthusiast isn't really seeing much of the commercial photography that makes money so maybe they don't even know it exists. Maybe they aren't aware of it simply because they aren't the audience. For example, a really competitive architectural photographer might be shooting some of best jobs in the country but the work will only be seen by a handful of potential buyers for the buildings. Or maybe a competitive product photographer might be shooting some of the best products in the country but the audience for the products is so small that only a few thousand or tens of thousands of people will even see his work in the catalogs.

Many of the higher paying and exclusive photography jobs are designed for and only seen by a small audience. Maybe this is why there is often a disconnect between what some of the more exclusive photo companies are doing and the opinion that exists about their decisions in the forums.

There are many thousands of photographers around the world shooting these jobs, but they are doing it mostly anonymously. They aren't famous, and most people don't know who they are and have never seen their work. These are the people that really need certain types of exclusive gear to meet their demands. They can't function without it, and while there aren't that many people with the demand they certainly have the money to pay for it and just think of it as another business expense. What is a 40,000 dollar camera in a studio space worth 7 figures already packed with 500k worth of lighting gear? The cost of a new camera system is just another drop in the bucket. There aren't a lot of photographers out there like this, but there are enough for a handful of camera makers to do just fine if they are accommodating to their needs.

Maybe the bottom line is that a hobby is a hobby and business is business. Try not to imagine that what's seen in mainstream advertising, photo hobby magazines, blogs, forums etc is all that there is to the commercial photo industry.
Mike, you make some very good points that I wish were more widely understood. I can confirm from personal experience that what you say is true. I spent over 20 years of my career doing the hard yards as a freelance advertising photographer, shooting commissions for ad agencies, initially in Australia, and eventually internationally.
Most of the early years were spent acquiring equipment - the 5x4 system, the MF system, the 35mm system, the Lighting system blah, blah.
Then, along came digital. My first setup, a Leaf DCB1 set me back nearly 60K back in '95. The re-investment cycle since then has run, on average about 3.5 years. My rule of thumb has been that a back has to return a minimum of 10x its purchase price over that 3.5 year cycle or it wasn't worth it. With the exception of a bleak few years I had in the mid-naughties (which had more to do with personal challenges than professional ones), the gear has paid its way, and then some. In that time, I have owned Phase One H5, H10, H25, P25, P45+, P65+, Aptus 12 and with my wifes permission, (she's known as The Finance Minister) I'll soon order an IQ180.
My professional ethos has always been that my clients should always get more than they are expecting. My best shot ever is always the shot I am about to do. As such, I have always sought out the company of the brightest creatives, shared ideas and studios with the brightest photographers and just as importantly, shot with the best tools available at the time.
I am not special. These characteristics are shared by many top photographers. They set high standards for themselves, then set out to raise the bar. The point is, this is NOT a small club. It's just an invisible one. For every "megastar" photographer who gets the photo-press's attention, there are 100 who are shooting just as good work, and making just as much, if not more money. (See Annie L's and Marcus Klinko's recent histories for great examples of how all is not as rosy as it sometimes seems).
Vitriolic statements like the ones that start this thread, simply do not help spread understanding of our shared love, photography.
For starters, the Pro-user MF market is much bigger than many realise. Volume is well into the thousands, not the hundreds mentioned.
At the top end of this market, if your Logo doesn't start with P or H, you are barely a bit player (sorry Mr.L).
The recent bitching about Phase One's upgrade policy really surprises me. This is the one company that has CONSISTENTLY maintained an upgrade program. Try upgrading your Canon or Nikon. Good luck.
Try selling your Canon or Nikon after a new model has been announced. I'm pretty sure it will be worth roughly 1/10th of what you paid for it, even if it's barely a year old. Here we have Phase offering 65% trade in value for a P65, even if its 3 years old. Hrannar, get off your high horse mate. Incidentally, I've never had trouble selling a used Phase back, and sometimes got more by selling it than taking advantage of the trade in offer. Believe it or not, there are people out there who are actually grateful to get a used back.
Hrannar, I consider my Phase One back the single most valuable tool in my entire kit and certainly not a novelty item.
My 14+ year experience as a customer of Phase One's has been that they as a company are the company MOST focussed on the photographers needs. I base this opinion on their deeds, not the spin from their PR department. The features in this latest generation of backs simply confirms this.
I think the more understanding there is that there exists a community of high-end users that is pretty much invisible to the average enthusiasts, and that this is the audience that Phase and Blad primarily play to the needs of, the better understanding we can have behind these discussions.

Mike, thank you for injecting some balance here. Hrannar, I would love to hear one day that you have made whatever adjustments you need to so that buying a Phase back is not such a stretch for you. Owning one is both a privilege and a pleasure.

Cheers,

fotografz

I think that every new leap forward is accompanied by a new wave of "Wants 'n Gimmes" ... whether it bears any relationship to the task at hand or not ... it does however bear a direct relationship to financial means. Thus the gnashing of teeth, and wails of despair :)

The camera companies have been very successful at attaching unwarranted levels of desire to their ever evolving products, irrespective of the actual application. We then do all the justification necessary ... and will plop down $10,000. or $20,000. for incremental features/IQ we may or may not use or take advantage of ... but make it an indispensable need in our brains.

Suddenly what was your baby, your killer kit, the thing that brought joy and allowed you to take the images you wanted, is a worthless piece of crap not worthy of your talent and vision :rolleyes:

Of course all we NEED is an animal fur, a lean-to, fire, and a quantity of protein to survive ... we WANT more. We are hard wired for that ... and this forum is the poster child for amplifying WANT. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Abandon Hope, All Ye Who Enter Here!

-Marc

goesbang

And unfortunately I still do not see the Phase camera being up to the level of the IQ backs. Or at least I cannot get used to it.

I see it as the world best backs with world leading SW and the world best lenses (if we talk about Schneider glass) but the missing link between those 2 high quality things is the camera body in the middle. If I am allowed to dream and this would be Leica made body, then the whole chain would be consistent. If I dream even more and there would be also some Leica made lenses then even better.
I think Phase One have heard this lament from so many people not that I would not be surprised if the next "big thing" from them was an all new body.
BTW, I agree the Schneiders are awesome, but I rank the Mamiya/Phase 150/2.8D as the sharpest reflex lens I own.

Cheers,

fotografz

I think Phase One have heard this lament from so many people not that I would not be surprised if the next "big thing" from them was an all new body.
BTW, I agree the Schneiders are awesome, but I rank the Mamiya/Phase 150/2.8D as the sharpest reflex lens I own.

Cheers,
With most of the newer lenses sharpness is now rarely the issue (at least in the longer focal lengths), but "Character" is a whole other matter.

-Marc

jlm

Workshop Member
perhaps what phase should have done was leave the screen alone and develop a wi-fi or even hardwired link to use one's own I-phone or I-pad without need for a laptop. would have to have been much, much cheaper

Steve Hendrix

perhaps what phase should have done was leave the screen alone and develop a wi-fi or even hardwired link to use one's own I-phone or I-pad without need for a laptop. would have to have been much, much cheaper

As nice as it would be to be able to shoot wirelessly to an iPad, I would much prefer the current enhancements, for the overall market. Wireless iPad capture is a sexy, limited market. Phase One would have been fried, flombeed, boiled in oil, if they announced an 80MP product with wireless iPad tethering and the same screen as before.

I believe the new chassis that is in place now with all of the new components and electronic ciruitry, and enables the new screen technology, would probably be necessary anyway for even a chance to have wifi communication.

Steve Hendrix

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The LCD is the most visible component change from the P+ series. However every piece of electronics has been changed - literally not one piece of electronics other than the sensor is the same.

There are, for instance, 9 cores worth of processing power (a main 1-core processor with a GPU, a 4-core image processor custom designed by Phase One for use with their files, and four auxiliary/speciality processors.

If Phase One had released a new series of backs without a new LCD.... o my.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Hauxon

Mike, thank you for injecting some balance here. Hrannar, I would love to hear one day that you have made whatever adjustments you need to so that buying a Phase back is not such a stretch for you. Owning one is both a privilege and a pleasure.

Cheers,
I may someday buy a digital back. After all I'm not the struggling photographer, I'm a computer scientist and am able to buy stuff for my hobby if I like, ...the "rich" amateur guy! (not really rich, wish I was :p ) I still find the backs are unrealistically priced and will use my Mamiya 7 for medium format exposures alongside my Canon/Zeiss combo. I may consider the Phase One/Hesselblad route when they decide I'm worth of their interest.

Hrannar

MMPhoto

Morning All and Happy New-year. (late)

About this topic, yes I find that the prices for digital back are on the high side. First we must agree that these backs are high end and their is a lots of development to produce them.

As for myself I rent the back to be use on either my 4x5 Sinar P2 or my Hasselblad when the job calls for high end work. I spent a lots of moneys on getting a full 4x5 system with 5 lenses and accessories, Hasselblad with 3 lens and accessories plus my Nikons with 7 prime lenses. with 2 broncolor power pack with 6 heads and all accessories. I think that I am well cover to shot any thing.

Now these days most of the work I have been doing is to be use for websites or 8x10 size sales sheets or magazine ads, the budgets for that type of work can't support the expense of owning a MFB. If you can't afford to amortize the MFB with in a logical time then you can't afford to finance it.

My bottom line is. I have all the gears to shot high end jobs, it is up to date and paid for. Now I just need to get the MFB.

When the commercial work will support the investment I will buy till then I will rent when needed that way I get the newest back with out having to worry about the end of the month payment. For now I think that is the best way to go and invest in keeping up yo date what I have by replacing with the new lenses or new power packs or the new software.

That is my point of view as for investing my hard earn income. Michel

malmac

An interesting thread which I have followed but not contributed to until now.

I don't know if Hrannar Hauksson is right or not, but I seem to be one of the folk that he is referring to. Run a small photo business with my wife - weddings, family portraits etc -

But I have just last week ordered an IQ160 and a Cambo camera.
Why?
Because I am lucky to have some money and figure why not.
Will it ever pay for it's self? NO.
Does that mateer to us? NO.

Why? Well I went to Art School and then spent 30 years doing a job that I only liked sometimes (yes my fault).

Now I have quit that job, I am doing what thrills me.
What thrill me the most is when I get a beautiful image on my screen.
I hope everyone enjoys that same joy, what every camera system they choose or can afford.

Cheers

mal

shlomi

Sorry I missed this discussion two months ago.

Anyway I believe Hrannar is correct in that P1 is mainly targeting the super-rich with the $20k+ bodies.
I also believe that targeting the super-rich is a very solid business model looking into the future, I would refer to the novel "Super Sad True Love Story", which provides some alarming insights as to where our society is going.

I think Hrannar, as a non pro, may have missed the division of the pro market into completely separate segments:

- Wedding, senior, family shooters and journalists (low end) have no need for MF, as Canon provides a perfect answer to their needs.
- High end "in-demand" fashion and commercial shooters are able to afford high end gear.
- Mid end pros can get get excellent value in used MF gear with a $10k back + $10k lens set, although I estimate about 90% of them opt for the much more simple Canon 1Ds or Nikon equivalent.

As a mid-end pro making a living off this, I went into the used MF path, ending up costing me at least twice what I estimated in advance.
Prior to that I had a Canon which I felt was a little limiting in reaching top quality.
But in truth I did it in large part for the love of the equipment and because I could afford it.
If it was a cold business decision, Canon provides more than sufficient pro-grade results for half the cost.

leicashot

I agree with the OP, but the topic was bound to come up with some resistance by forum moderators as they have a great relationship with the forum.

When looking to sell my M9/Noct to fund a medium format camera, my gear price got me now where near the PhaseOne price. Besides that I don't see the advantages of using the PhaseOne over Hasselblad. Also, Hasselblad lenses are available for rent at most places, and I haven't seen much for PhaseOne.

As per LLoyd Chamber's review on the Hasselblad, I have doubts over whether PhaseOne or even Hasselblad lenses can resolve the amounts of high megapixels that these medium format manufactures are putting out. Per pixel sharpness IMHO, seems to max out at around 40MP. How most professionals can afford such upgrades is beyond me, especially when most would never need over 40MP anyway. I'm sure most serious amateurs would disagree with me, but I'm a practical guy trying desperately to be realistic about such upgrades/performance/price value.

Without any user experience with PhaseOne I have to admit, the IQ interface looks pretty awesome, but putting iPhone technology into a camera back is not enough justification to charge luxury car prices. I would never see such a return on investment, I'm sure of that.

.....this is why I agree that they repositioning themselves in the market like Leica, because the prices aren't really comparable to Hasselblad for what you get. The difference is that I believe Leica will succeed with this, and PhaseOne may not. 90% of Pros I know using MF use Hassy, so PhaseOne have a big jobn on their hands, no matter what their target market segment(s) is(are).

Steve Hendrix

I agree with the OP, but the topic was bound to come up with some resistance by forum moderators as they have a great relationship with the forum.

When looking to sell my M9/Noct to fund a medium format camera, my gear price got me now where near the PhaseOne price. Besides that I don't see the advantages of using the PhaseOne over Hasselblad. Also, Hasselblad lenses are available for rent at most places, and I haven't seen much for PhaseOne.

As per LLoyd Chamber's review on the Hasselblad, I have doubts over whether PhaseOne or even Hasselblad lenses can resolve the amounts of high megapixels that these medium format manufactures are putting out. Per pixel sharpness IMHO, seems to max out at around 40MP. How most professionals can afford such upgrades is beyond me, especially when most would never need over 40MP anyway. I'm sure most serious amateurs would disagree with me, but I'm a practical guy trying desperately to be realistic about such upgrades/performance/price value.

Without any user experience with PhaseOne I have to admit, the IQ interface looks pretty awesome, but putting iPhone technology into a camera back is not enough justification to charge luxury car prices. I would never see such a return on investment, I'm sure of that.

.....this is why I agree that they repositioning themselves in the market like Leica, because the prices aren't really comparable to Hasselblad for what you get. The difference is that I believe Leica will succeed with this, and PhaseOne may not. 90% of Pros I know using MF use Hassy, so PhaseOne have a big jobn on their hands, no matter what their target market segment(s) is(are).

It's difficult to get a sense of market share and "Pro" use of a product just by looking at those around you. Phase One has dominated the Pro market for a long time. I feel Hasselblad has made some inroads, but still have minority market share among Pros (and the market in general).

I don't see any significant difference in pricing between Phase One and Hasselblad. Both companies have always offered products up to $30K and higher. Both companies currently offer a 60MP kit solution for $39K-$40K. In fact, Phase One also offers a 60MP kit solution that is $3,000 less than the Hasselblad 60MP kit. What has changed for both companies is the demographic that purchases in that price range, so as a result both companies do market to the "wealthy enthusiast".

http://www.incredibletravelphotos.com/workshop/wsD/cacoast/

http://www.phaseone.com/en/PODAS/Info/Intro.aspx

While you don't feel Phase One will succeed in the wealthy enthusiast market nor do you feel Phase One is succeeding in the Pro market, I will say that Phase One is certainly succeeding somewhere, because they just completed a record quarter, as did we.

Steve Hendrix

fotografz

RE: Lens resolution ... keep in mind that some of the higher meg count backs get there by means of a larger sensor ... most current 40 meg cameras are crop frame. I'd agree that it seems many lenses from the film era are getting maxed out ... but both Phase and Hasselblad offer software corrections and are introducing new optics to fill in the gaps ... and Leica jumped right in from the ground up. Plus, many use technical cameras and for the most part, the lenses are not an issue there.

Most commercial photography professionals AREN'T riding the upgrade train, and quite frankly they never did. We tend to look at the high-end minority of shooters like it was common-place, but it simply isn't. Also, how many professional commercial photographers use which system is somewhat irrelevant ... many use both because they rent.

One highly viable area of photography well represented on this forum is landscape shooters ... urban and nature ... and the bigger backs can and do make a difference in the hands of these expert shooters be they professional or enthusiast. Some people buy sailboats and exotic cars, and some buy high-end cameras.

I use a big meg back mostly in the studio for highly demanding commercial work ... but mostly shoot at ISO 50 tethered to a computer and employ up to 5,000 w/s of light ... can't shoot my jobs with a Canon ... trust me I tried.

-Marc

Steve Hendrix

I think its the other way around - at least in Europe.

The reality is that - as of today - it's really hard to tell. How would one know? You take a look around at the Pros you know, the forums you participate in, etc. But if you haven't actually seen numbers, there's really no way of knowing. I will say, there are many Pro photographers that other Pro photographers are not aware of - many. I've been told numerous times by local Pro photographers that there are only 3 or 4 real medium format candidates in their town, when I knew of many, many more. In Atlanta, which is not a big market despite being a relatively large city, most photographers when asked how many other Pros shoot Phase One (or any medium format, would struggle to come up with 4 names, when in fact there are at least 15-20 times that, just in the Atlanta area itself.

Historically, Phase One has been the dominant digital back for the pro market. Some years, there have been strong efforts by competitors - I think Hasselblad has done well the past few, I know Leaf had a very good year in 2006, for example.

I only know from sales numbers in the US, having seen numbers from both manufacturers over the years. I can't speak for Europe, but I can for the US, having seen those numbers.

In addition to ownership, Phase One has definitely dominated the rental market (and still does - no question), at least from the digital back standpoint. But the majority of Phase One rentals are certainly on the Hasselblad H1/H2 camera.

Steve Hendrix

etrump

Interesting thread indeed. The person making the original post has obviously never owned Phase products or dealt with the company. They are both a dream to deal with, great products and great people worth the money IMO.

MF products are pricey but the quality difference was obvious to me with the first exposure i made on the P30+. The difference in price pales in comparison to the cost to staff a studio running or travel expenses for a busy landscape photographer. Add in marketing and production costs and the difference to upgrade to the best kit available doesn't seem so high, especially with the generous trade-in programs if you stay current.

In the past twelve months I have been in 22 states, Argentina, Australia and Antarctica. I couldn't imaging spending the money required to travel and not have the best equipment to do my job. Seems silly actually.

Phase has the broadest market strategy in the MF marketplace. Anyone who can afford a D3x and full kit of lenses can opt into MF with phase, leaf or Mamiya products for a small price premium.

I know several Canon/Nikon shooters who have or are contemplating the jump to MF by purchasing one of the trade-in backs. There is as much a market for those recon'ed backs as there is for the backs they are traded in on. They usually run out of them once the upgrade cycle nears completion.

As Don Libby mentions, the P45+ is still a great back and like him I have several P30+ and P45 images that well and I haven't owned one for a few years now. With each new version of C1 I can go back and reclaim a few images from those archives of hard drives. On of my most popular images was a P30+ file from which C1 v6 allowed me to finally produce a quality print.

Phase is at the top of the MF food chain because they push the envelope. Their technologies are not cheap to develop. I recently met a few of the Phase One staff at an IQ180 release party and they are very passionate about keeping their customers on the leading edge of what is available. They are already working on the upgrade for the IQ series backs and you can't even get them yet. Chip design, software, hardware engineering is a constant cycle and keeping those wheels in motion is not cheap. As incredible as it is those technologies are they do make their way into their lower end offerings.

My suggestion is compare the entry level and slowly upgrade to the higher end. The difference in quality is worth the money.