The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ180 first look

O

Optechs Digital

Wow! What a week it is has been, I don't recall a more exciting or successful product launch ever.

We spent most of the day with Murray Elliott and Claus Pedersen of Phase One yesterday looking at and training on the new IQ180 back. I have to say that this is everything as advertised and what we have all hoped for for so long. The new screen alone would have been enough to make me happy, but this along with all other enhancements truly make this line of backs a home run in my opinion.

Some of the things that really stood out for us were:

Multi tool display. It was fantastic to be able to have certain tools displayed along side of the image. For example, the histogram and highlight warning can have their own separate windows next to the the image view. We believe the user will be able to chose which tools he or she would like to have displayed here. We thought it would be nice to have both an image overview and a 100% view both on display at the same time. Or perhaps focus mask along with overview.

Quick magnify tool up to 400%. This tool is very fast and unbelievable resolution. A double tap of the screen immediately takes you to a 100% view.

The overall speed of these tools was great. Everything was almost immediate.

Familiar 4 button architecture remains with an improved, more positive response. These buttons can be completely ignored by simply accessing the intuitive touch screen.

We really like the redesigned chassis built out of a single block of aluminum. It feels indestructible and looks modern.

The fully enclosed battery adds to the robust design and clean look.

Everybody will love the new CF card door and removal system, it will even work well with huge hands.

Sadly, we could not try the live view mode on an Alpa as it was not active on this particular pre production unit. But even without this feature i can already see that the IQ backs with or without live view mode are the perfect companion to any technical camera system.

Fantastic upgrade programs are available for these backs and details on a "crossgrade" program will be released soon.

For those in the Northwest that are interesting in seeing the IQ backs, please watch for our upcoming Northwest Road Show events to be held in Seattle and Portland late February and early March.

We really think these new backs are something to be excited about and we can't wait for delivery!

Best Regards from Seattle,
Paul

PeterA

looking forward to some in depth reviews with one of the backs on an Alpa 12STC Paul!

For me the live view / and or easy LCD with zoom to check focus means that I can consider longer than 35mm focal lengths on the Alpa for the first time - I am excited !

BradleyGibson

Thanks for sharing, Paul.

Hey, I'm still interested in a Phase back on my Hy6, you know... Maybe I'll bring a bench grinder, and we can try making your sample into an Hy6 mount. :)

Will keep an eye out for your NW road show--wouldn't miss it.

-Brad

Tim Ernst

Hey Paul, I bet the new back with Alpa system will be a match made in heaven for us landscape guys - all that beautiful glass will take full advantage of the high-res sensor - WOW! While I know you stock all the Phase body/lens stuff too, you seem to be the tech cam guru here (thanks Guy and Jack), and your first-hand experience with this new back/Alpa combo is most appreciated. I'm glad I got my IQ80 order in early as I suspect these will be in high demand, especially for us tech cam users. I just hope the wait won't be too painful....

O

Optechs Digital

Thanks Tim,

I can hardly contain my enthusiasm for the combo of an Alpa with an IQ back. Of course I was already an Alpa fanatic, but now with the IQ backs, the synergy between these two systems is a perfect marriage. The features that are now contained in these backs only enhance and add to the Alpa philosophy of pure, simple and precise. It remains to be seen how photographers will utilize the tools on the new IQ backs but I am guessing based on my brief look at the IQ180 that items such as sliding backs, ground glass, fancy focus rings and possibly viewfinders will will be left behind. I was just joking with my friends at Alpa earlier today that finally there is a digital back that is sophisticated enough to keep up with Alpa's simple approach. A very exciting time indeed.

Best Regards,
Paul

PeterL

Thanks for the review Paul, very exciting.

I just want to point out how helpful Paul has been to me during the past year. His unflagging support and putting up with my stupid questions about Alpa/Phase/Leaf has just been second-to-none, simply outstanding. Thanks Paul!

I ordered the IQ140 yesterday. Can't wait to put it on my Alpa TC, got a loaner P40+ to ease the pain till May.

Cheers, -Peter

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Paul,

You had me at "WOW". :p

I think that the IQ seems like an ideal match for the Alpa (or any tech camera). I suspect it's been a good week for everyone in the MFDB business.

Looking forward to seeing it in person at one of your roadshows soon - it'll make the wait seem even longer for mine.

I just want to point out how helpful Paul has been to me during the past year. His unflagging support and putting up with my stupid questions about Alpa/Phase/Leaf has just been second-to-none, simply outstanding. Thanks Paul!
Ditto. My experience has been exactly the same. :thumbs: