The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon, Nikon lenses attached to MF digital backs?

haring

I am just wondering whether if it is possible to use Canon, Nikon (35mm) lenses attached to MF digital backs?

Audii-Dudii

I am just wondering whether if it is possible to use Canon, Nikon (35mm) lenses attached to MF digital backs?
Sure. Among other several other options, there is this: http://www.hartblei.eu/en/hartbleicam2.htm

Alternatively, I'm in the process of modifying a Contax Preview camera (which I bought used on eBay for a whopping $62 delivered and already modified to accept Nikon F-mount lenses instead of Contax/Yashica lenses) to accept my P30+ back in place of the original Polaroid back ... not quite finished yet, but so far, so good. Ultimately, I hope to further modify it to accept a Conurus-modified Contax N-mount 17-35 zoom, but one step at a time...

haring

Sure. Among other several other options, there is this: http://www.hartblei.eu/en/hartbleicam2.htm

Alternatively, I'm in the process of modifying a Contax Preview camera (which I bought used on eBay for a whopping $62 delivered and already modified to accept Nikon F-mount lenses instead of Contax/Yashica lenses) to accept my P30+ back in place of the original Polaroid back ... not quite finished yet, but so far, so good. Ultimately, I hope to further modify it to accept a Conurus-modified Contax N-mount 17-35 zoom, but one step at a time...
This is amazing!!! :) ...and expensive I guess... :)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Since the OP (haring) is a wedding shooter a few things should be cleared up:

Modern Canon/Nikon lenses on a DF body can be used if one can source a physical adapter. However they will not stop down (no manual diaphragm control), there will be no autofocus, and they will not focus at infinity (the DF body is deeper than the 35mm body for which they were designed). For certain macro applications this can be very very cool - but not for most photography (where focusing more than a few inches or feet away is considered pretty vital.

The Hartblei option presented above is indeed a fantastic solution (note I'm biased as we are dealers) and a great example of how flexible digital backs are in their use. However, it is targeted primarily at landscape and architectural shooters who wish to use super wide angle lenses and product/still-life shooters that want to use the Hartblei tilt shift lenses. It is not a handholdable system, and not meant for general purpose shooting. There is no autofocus, but there is direct control of the aperture (a majorly cool feature of the Hartblei) and there is ground glass to do focusing.

I'm also suggesting it for a gentlemen with a very specific application where he wants an ULTRA long lens but wants to use medium format. He has an 800mm lens that the hartblei would mount (obviously the lens would go on the tripod and the Hartblei would go on the lens to avoid over straining the mount). Coverage of that lens on medium format is not known (who would bother testing such a thing) but may be enough to justify (for his very specific application).

The short answer to the question is "not really" but the exceptions for macro applications (DF body) or speciality applications (hartblei) make the full answer more interesting.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

H3dtogo

As i also very much like shallow dept of field in MF. I simply mounted a Nikon 85mm 1,4 on a mamiya extention tube and have a -2 diopter coated spectacle glass in front. I really go for the special effects that gives this combination but again, it is not the way most people like to see their images taken with 35mm lenses.
More info about the HB1 http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17541

dick

I'm also suggesting it for a gentlemen with a very specific application where he wants an ULTRA long lens but wants to use medium format.
Very few 35mm film long-focus lenses will be suitable for MFD,,, but I have 400mm and 640mm Novoflex lens heads, used with follow-focus and bellows focusing.

The lens head and aperture ring could have a shutter mounted immediately behind the diaphragm (no elements behind the diaphragm), on a Sinar. I think the image circle is more than a foot!

I have a copal 3 shutter that came with a reversible 300mm macro lens, and I think it would be big enough.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Very few 35mm film long-focus lenses will be suitable for MFD,,, but I have 400mm and 640mm Novoflex lens heads, used with follow-focus and bellows focusing.

The lens head and aperture ring could have a shutter mounted immediately behind the diaphragm (no elements behind the diaphragm), on a Sinar. I think the image circle is more than a foot!

I have a copal 3 shutter that came with a reversible 300mm macro lens, and I think it would be big enough.
I have not worked with these long Noveflex lens heads. From knowing nothing it sounds to me like a physical adapter for a DF body (which would include a shutter) would be preferable to mounting a copal 3 shutter and a full 2 feet of sinar extension. What do you think?

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

dick

I have not worked with these long Noveflex lens heads. From knowing nothing it sounds to me like a physical adapter for a DF body (which would include a shutter) would be preferable to mounting a copal 3 shutter and a full 2 feet of Sinar extension. What do you think?

Doug Peterson
These are not telephoto lenses.

With an adapter for a DF body you would not cover 24 * 48mm, let alone hex stitch with movements would you? What is the throat size of a DF body (whatever on of them is).

How big is the rear element of a 640mm f9 lens?

Many of the conventions of DSLRs (like throat size) are not applicable when the rear element is half a meter from the sensor.

I have an F mount adapter and focusing tube, but I will have to discard these to use the image circle of the lens head.

The 640mm lens head might require more than the 600mm or so extension of the standard single bellows, but I have several feet of rail and extension.

Mr Hartblie has told me he could let me have a Hartblie with a big hole in the front (like 645) so it might be possible to use these lens heads hand-held, but I am thinking of view camera use, using the image circle.

...and I also have 600mm and 900mm lenses with rear elements that only just fit in Sinar 54 lensboards (but the 900mm is lelephoto and only needs about 600mm of extension, as, I believe, it was designed to fit in the fuselage of a spitfire)