The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Our one day IQ180 field test

ustein

Contributing Editor
We also had the chance to use a Phase One IQ180 prototype back for one day. We selected some typical locations close by we like.

Observations:

Note: we tried most Phase One backs before but are no MF experts

- To repeat: this was a prototype and some features were not yet implemented
- Very nice evolution of an untethered back
- UI well designed and intuitive
- Very fast for handling 80MP images
- We nailed nearly all shots we took because the UI gives so much help to evaluate the photo
- LCD could be brighter outdoors but this is hopefully a prototype issue
- we don't see any real need for taking a laptop in the field
- The resulting 80MP files are just amazing
- you can crop and still have 60MP left
- Very good pixel level detail
- Very little need for any post-processing (we only used our Optimal Sharp as capture sharpening)
- Using Capture One with these files is nice. We often use Lightroom (more because of the workflow) but always loved the C1 image look (we did the first C1 review in 2002)
- The lenses (we used the Schneider 80mm, 110mm and the Mamiya 150mm) are more then up for the task
- Camera + lenses is not a really big set
- We used autofocus most of the time and did not have issues
- We had never had that much fun with any other back

Looking forward:

- Controlling camera via iPad would be nice

Too bad we now would like to have this back but it won't really happen (we don't see the business for us right now to pay for it). The difference to normal full frame DSLRs is just huge. Going back to lower resolution cameras is not really that easy now.

We show here some sample photos and then link to our sample gallery that shows them (and more) at 5K pixels wide and also in 3Kx3K 100% pixel crops.

More image:

http://outbackphoto.smugmug.com/Results-from-different-Cameras/PhaseOneIQ180/

Short video

http://vimeo.com/19357752

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

Fixed title.

Looks like you had a lot of fun. Can't wait for the prototypes to become reality!

ustein

Contributing Editor
Fixed title.

Looks like you had a lot of fun. Can't wait for the prototypes to become reality!
Thanks. Yes, had a lot of fun. Worked extremely well for a prototype. Could fully concentrate on the photography.

We had mild overcast and that was not bad either.

David Klepacki

Hi Ewe,

Thank you for posting your IQ180 field test. I looked at your files posted on smugmug. Overall, the images look very rich and detailed. However, many of the images appear to be over-sharpened. For example, the tree branches in the orchard image show onset of "halo" effects. Also, the noise structure in general looks like it has been amplified due to your sharpening method. Is there any way you can post some unsharpened images?

David

ustein

Contributing Editor
did you download the images or view on screen?

Mean the full view or the 100% crops?

Don't see the halos you mean. Yes, there are strong bright areas from sunlight though.

Could it be that what you mean was the result of our blending. I re-post these images without blending soon (but same sharpening).

Uwe

Last edited:

ustein

Contributing Editor
>many of the images appear to be over-sharpened. For example, the tree branches in the orchard image show onset of "halo" effects.

You maybe right. Not sure you would ever see it in a print though (we do not sharpen for print).

David Klepacki

did you download the images or view on screen?

Mean the full view or the 100% crops?

Don't see the halos you mean. Yes, there are strong bright areas from sunlight though.

Could it be that what you mean was the result of our blending. I re-post these images without blending soon (but same sharpening).

Uwe
I refer to the crop images. I think it may be subjective. Some appear a bit on the grainy side, which I sense as being a little unnatural (to me). I guess I just prefer smoother tonal transitions, and this is of course just personal preference. I would like to look at some raw files, but I realize this is not typically allowed with pre-release backs. Have you had any chance to shoot with the Aptus-II 12?

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I guess I just prefer smoother tonal transitions, and this is of course just personal preference.

True. In reality you can not judge the tonal transition from

- 100% pixel crops (that is not how they look in print)
- Down sampled for preview (adds all kind of artifacts)

In the end it would be a print and then also it depends again on many issue. But you are right I like images pixel sharp as they get softened enough in print.

> I would like to look at some raw files, but I realize this is not typically allowed with pre-release backs.

Not sure. But also a bandwidth issue.

>Have you had any chance to shoot with the Aptus-II 12?

Sorry, no. Have now to live again with 16-21 MP cameras :).

Note: It is actually interesting that I have about all these photos from other cameras (mainly GF1/GH1/60D). From the photographic content perspective there is nothing much different. But I hesitate to even look at the detail in these other shots now. Up to about 20" wide these other shots maybe ok (I don't want to say you would not see the difference, but normal viewers only see the final photo and do not compare) but then it would show major differences.

Some statistics:

- Kevin and we took 100 exposures (68 me and 32 Kevin)
- We published 17 images (one shot by Kevin)
- May have 2-4 usable other not published images of our own

I would consider that quite a good ratio because most other images were needed to tune the exposure.

Last edited:
I enjoyed your photos Uwe and it seems you really enjoyed the IQ180. It appears to be a very good back with important and desirable updates.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>It appears to be a very good back with important and desirable updates.

Yes. There are only about $ 60K (back and lenses) between the IQ180 and me :).