The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fast memory card making writing faster???

haring

Some people say that a fast memory cards don't make Medium Format cameras to write faster. Some people say it does, Hasselblad and Mamiyas write photos faster on faster CF cards so one can take more photos in a given time. I am confused....

R

Ronan

Some people say that a fast memory cards don't make Medium Format cameras to write faster. Some people say it does, Hasselblad and Mamiyas write photos faster on faster CF cards so one can take more photos in a given time. I am confused....
I too, am confused after reading your post...

Please rephrase...

Leigh

Data transfer in any digital system will proceed at the fastest rate that's supported by BOTH ends of the transfer.

If one end can support 10 Mb/s and the other end only 5 Mb/s, then the transfer will take place at 5 Mb/s.

You may experience an increase in transfer rate if you replace an existing card with a faster one iff* the original card was slower than what the camera will support. Since the maximum transfer rate of the camera is not known, and will vary from one model to another and possibly even between different production runs of the same model, it's easy to see how some folks will observe an improvement while others won't.

- Leigh

*nb iff means if and only if. It's a standard abbreviation in formal logic.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
haring: most backs tech specs are quoted by the manufacturer based on using the fastest cards that back supports. If you use a slower CF card you will get slower shooting speeds but in no case (even with the fastest cards made) will you ever exceed the speed provided by the manufacturer.

If you need 3-7fps then you need a dSLR. Medium format is for more considered, slower shooting methods. A bride and father dance is a great medium format chance. The chair dance at a jewish ceremony where the groom is probably being erratically carried about is better served by a 35mm dSLR (the exception imo being the P40/P65/IQ backs which have a sensor plus mode that allows faster shooting and up to ISO3200 with reduced resolution).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off