The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

B Setting on P30 back with 503CW

richardman

I am having trouble with the 503CW and a P30 back (not the P30+). The images are fine all up to 1 sec (or at least after I found a lens without lens shutter issue with low speed). However, with B, first, it always terminates no more than after 5-6 secs even if I hold the shutter release down longer, and second, it never seems to obtain an image.

I have checked the B setting does hold the lens shutter open by removing the back and raising the mirror so I can see through the iris. The lens shutter seems to operate as it should.

I tried two different sync cables with the same result. I also tried raising the mirror and again the result is the same.

Any idea? I know the P30 back doesn't do as low light as the P30+, but it's almost like hardly any light is admitted.

Thanks.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Have you tried another lens to see if maybe that is causing the issue? Sometimes the sync connector on the lens goes bad and can cause issues. It seems you have already tried two cables.

Lance

richardman

Have you tried another lens to see if maybe that is causing the issue? Sometimes the sync connector on the lens goes bad and can cause issues. It seems you have already tried two cables.

Lance
Yes, I tried two lens. One is the 80 Planar and it has slow speed problems (red shifted images) and B problem as described. I am renting a 50/CFi that works great with the slow speed but has the B problem.

Thanks

Digitalcameraman

Richard:

It is almost certainly the lens. Their are two shutter sync internal from what I have been told and the slower shutter speeds setting make it impossible to close the circuit and make the capture. You may also check to make sure you are set to short latency and toggle that to see if it reacts any different but I would put my money on the lens being bad at those settings. Have you tested this with both tether to a computer and to a CF card. I cannot imagine the tether operation having anything to do with this issue. I have seen this in a demo before but it was isolated to one of the guys lenses.

Good Luck

Sincerely,

Chris Snipes
Sales Manager, Florida
Capture Integration
http://www.captureintegration.com

2010 Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

404.522.7662 Atlanta
305.350.9900 Miami
877.217.9870 National
813.335.2473 Cell

Subscribe to our RSS Feed

Yes, I tried two lens. One is the 80 Planar and it has slow speed problems (red shifted images) and B problem as described. I am renting a 50/CFi that works great with the slow speed but has the B problem.

Thanks

richardman

To put a closure on this: yes, it's a lens problem. During some point in the history, Zeiss made some "newer" lens that shut off the sync signal under B to save power or something. This does not affect normal usage using flash and film, but cause the digital back not to operate correctly.

Thanks for the help!

T

tetsrfun

To put a closure on this: yes, it's a lens problem. During some point in the history, Zeiss made some "newer" lens that shut off the sync signal under B to save power or something. This does not affect normal usage using flash and film, but cause the digital back not to operate correctly.

Thanks for the help!
I tried my 40 CFE using the flash sync and "B" and it works so must be the CFis that have the "problem".

Steve