The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ 180: first handling: to upgrade or not?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Italians have to do something with there hands. LOL

Thanks Terry actually for me it immediately tells me I did something in the field that I need to be aware of when i am processing. Most times it maybe a focus stack or a stitch. Try it sometimes it really does help and does not slow anything down

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Tim - two things I do

1. When in the field when I'm done framing etc. I fire off a shot of my hand. Then after the last frame shot, I fire off a another shot of my hand. A little trick that our fearless leader Guy taught me. Works like a charm and like you I used to get confused where the stitch series started and ended.

2. When in C1 I now rename the LCC when I initially go to process/use it. In the LCC name I use is LCC + the file number of the frame that it is associated with. That way once processed I can match up the correct file to the correct LCC.

:thumbs:

This is exactly how I do it too. I picked up the technique when shooting panos so that I'd know which images made up a set. It applies perfectly to tech camera shooting sets as you & Guy mention.

With the IQ, I ordered mine on the basis of the image zoom alone. The focus mask will be helpful also but I have no illusions of the live view feature being anything like as realtime as current DSLR offerings, nice as that might be. No plans to stop using the VF for initial framing and a fast shoot/review/adjust with the superior display and ergonomics is all that I'm expecting as the real advantage (for me).

Joe

Perhaps the new software will allow "Composition Mode" on the back in the field to allow numerous shots for focus checking before actually saving shots to the card. The buffer seems to be large enough. It would also be handy to have a shot marker or series marker available in the back software to mark image sets, such as pano series.

Does Phase One have a specific place for feature suggestions?

Blessings,

JB

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
All I can say is they said some things where not announced on the back. Whatever that is supposed to mean.

cly

With the IQ, I ordered mine on the basis of the image zoom alone.
[...] a fast shoot/review/adjust with the superior display and ergonomics is all that I'm expecting as the real advantage (for me).
Just back from a Phase presentation of the IQ180: Image zoom works incredibly well - much better than I had expected! An IQ-back with the new UI (as far as it's been completed) on a tech cam looks like an enormous step forward in usability.

Chris

goesbang

with the CF card provided, there was a 10 to 12 second delay between pressing the shutter (and then double clicking the screen as soon as it displayed the shot) and the moment when you could see the fully resolved 100% zoomed image.

Very Strange Tim we did not see that at all. We where using Sandisk Exteme Cards and 3 seconds tops to see full res on screen. Must have been using a card not supported or something.
I shot the dealer launch event in Dubai and the backs we were shooting with were, as Guy says, displaying full res in 2-3 seconds, tops. It was shocking at first, but I'm now really impatient with my P65+

tashley

Subscriber Member
I'd like to clarify my experience: zooming into a shot that had already been taken and processed was as quick as everyone says. The slower times I refer to in my original post were when trying to zoom immediately into a shot that had literally just been captured and was still being processed. When working in the field I would often want to do this.

The CF card was as supplied for the test (i.e. not my own card) and there was another photographer there with me (another existing Phase back owner) finding exactly the same thing.

I have no doubt that the shipping version will be much faster, and thus are we assured!

jonoslack

Tim - two things I do

1. When in the field when I'm done framing etc. I fire off a shot of my hand. Then after the last frame shot, I fire off a another shot of my hand. A little trick that our fearless leader Guy taught me. Works like a charm and like you I used to get confused where the stitch series started and ended.
:):)
Excellent - never thought of this, very helpful - thanks to the both of you!

Steve Hendrix

I'd like to clarify my experience: zooming into a shot that had already been taken and processed was as quick as everyone says. The slower times I refer to in my original post were when trying to zoom immediately into a shot that had literally just been captured and was still being processed. When working in the field I would often want to do this.

The CF card was as supplied for the test (i.e. not my own card) and there was another photographer there with me (another existing Phase back owner) finding exactly the same thing.

I have no doubt that the shipping version will be much faster, and thus are we assured!

When we met with Claus Molgaard this week at our launch, we were told that they expected to improve the overall speed between now and launch. Amazing, really, because in general it is very fast already.

The specific issue of zooming immediately after capture came up, and that will also be addressed in the final released product.

Steve Hendrix