The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S2 - Screen with grid

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Marc,

Long time no talk as I seldom post, but this required one!!! :ROTFL: :ROTFL: I've enjoyed my S2 and have thought about this accessory so am awaiting some opinions. I followed your decision making thread with interest and some amusement. Glad you finally got a good copy! Enjoy. :salute:

Jim

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Grid screens are nice in several areas . One is obviously lining up verticals in a shot but also for composition reasons as well. Which could actually be a good learning tool. This looks like a plain grid across the screen unless the brush is hiding a AF area

Digitalcameraman

Page 23 of the S2 Instructional Manual

http://s.leica-camera.com/assets/downloads/instructions/S2-Instructionsen.pdf

Good luck.

Sincerely,

Chris Snipes
Sales Manager, Florida
Capture Integration
http://www.captureintegration.com

2010 Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

404.522.7662 Atlanta
305.350.9900 Miami
877.217.9870 National
813.335.2473 Cell

Subscribe to our RSS Feed

got it today... comes without instructions how to change... ;)

fotografz

Since we're talking about accessories ...

I was just doing my last test of working methods with the S2 ... this time using portable strobes, and thought I'd share my set up ... not everyone shoots Landscapes or just available light :)

This is one of my go-to solutions for location portrait work especially in dark interiors, at weddings and events, or functions. Also use it to light balance outdoors with brighter backgrounds.

Basically directional main provided by an Elinchrom Quadra and various light modifiers ... and TTL or manual fill with the SF58 in the hot shoe. I use a Kirk Grip with a Arca type QR and mount the radio unit on the grip with a sync cord to the S2 sync port. Very sturdy set-up, and the Grip combined with the hand-strap makes it easy to hold steady when dragging the shutter in low ambient light.

Testing complete, works like a charm.

-Marc

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Since we're talking about accessories ...

I was just doing my last test of working methods with the S2 ... this time using portable strobes, and thought I'd share my set up ... not everyone shoots Landscapes or just available light :)

This is one of my go-to solutions for location portrait work especially in dark interiors, at weddings and events, or functions. Also use it to light balance outdoors with brighter backgrounds.

Basically directional main provided by an Elinchrom Quadra and various light modifiers ... and TTL or manual fill with the SF58 in the hot shoe. I use a Kirk Grip with a Arca type QR and mount the radio unit on the grip with a sync cord to the S2 sync port. Very sturdy set-up, and the Grip combined with the hand-strap makes it easy to hold steady when dragging the shutter in low ambient light.

Testing complete, works like a charm.

-Marc
Marc,

Very interesting set-up. Any idea of what the cost might be for all of the components combined. I'm trying to get my head around portable lighting solutions. Thanks much.

Kurt

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Marc,

Very interesting set-up. Any idea of what the cost might be for all of the components combined. I'm trying to get my head around portable lighting solutions. Thanks much.

Kurt
Kurt,

Can't help you on the bracket, but I'd be happy to discuss the Elinchrom Quadra RX with you.

David

fotografz

The Kirk grip is available from B&H. You will need a Hot shoe clamp for the handle to mount the radio sender. I use an Stroboframe one I had laying around.

The Elinchrom Skyport sender comes with the sync cord needed from Skyport to S2 sync port.

The 400 w/s two head Elinchrom Quadra was chosen because it is so small and compact for a battery strobe system. It is so small, I'll probably get a second unit.

Another choice would be the 600 w/s Profoto B600 AIR components for a lot more money than the two head Quadra kit ... The B600 only has one head outlet which doesn't work for me at weddings and such. But the light modifier mount for the Profoto system is much better if you want a more diverse over-all lighting system. All my studio lighting is Profoto.

IMO, the ultimate battery kit for power and portability is the Lithium battery driven 2 head Hensel Porty 1200. That is enough w/s to overpower back lit bright sun in most cases.

-Marc

fotografz

The BatPac is a lead based battery inverter to power existing Profoto mono-heads or Acute generator packs on location. The Hensel is a self-contained Lithium battery powered generator with its own outlets for two EH Pro-Mini heads.

The BatPac is a less expensive and versatile solution if you already have Profoto lights and a strong back ... it's a lead based battery and big/heavy ... plus you have the added bulk of the Mono-lights or a generator box. Easy if you have assistants, not so easy when working alone or quickly even with an assistant.

I selected the Elinchrom Quadra because of its size/weight ratio to power needed. Part of the size equation are the tiny heads ... which are smaller than an average speed-light. This allows me to mount the heads on the light stands and place them in my Light Caddy ready to go ...

http://www.thelightcaddy.com

... which is basically a redesigned wheeled golf caddy bag that I can put the stands/heads/umbrellas/accessories for easy transport and swift set-up and tear-down. It's all assembled with this quick, easy use and mobility in mind, mostly for weddings and location portraits off-grid.

Often when working highly mobile I use a very simple set-up ... the camera with the Kirk Grip/Radio sender, a TTL speed-light in the hot shoe for fill, and an assistant with the Quadra over his shoulder and a lightstick with a beauty dish or shoot-through translucent umbrella for directional light.

The two portraits shown below were done with that set-up and the umbrella ... the candid shot was done with the beauty dish in a stick, and shows an example of how the speed-light doesn't blow out the foreground subjects when using a more powerful directional light off axis.

Can't wait to use the S2 this way !!!! I have a location portrait session on the 19th, and it'll be my first chance to use it on the job with strobes.

-Marc