The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

From print files to screen?

Grayhand

Hi!

I am at the moment starting work on a home page for my photos.
My problem is that I only have really worked with print files of my photos.
The files is used for exhibitions and a photo book, and working on two new photo books.
That means that I have a couple of hundred print files in .tif and .psd format.
Is it possible in a simple way convert those files direct to a .jpg format for use on the net?
I am also thinking of .pdf versions of photo books.
I really would like to not have to make two versions from more or less scratch of each picture :confused:

I have realised that it is not as easy that I initially thought.
Many files is in the full “bit-size” from my P45+ or larger from scans.
When I reduce file size it seams inevitable that I loose some dynamics of the picture.
I normally works with a rather small colour space that fit within srgb, but still the colours changes.
I often loos contrast and the picture become more flat and gray

My files are sharpened for print with often means that they are a bit to sharp for the screen.
And the tones of skin in shadow is a real problem after resizing, often it become to dark and “dirty”.
Is there some smart moves to be made, maybe with Capture One or Ps or?
Or is it that I have to really work on two separate files of my photos?

I have really no problem to produce what I want in print, but for the screen I really sucks...

Ray

Valentin

The only time I see color shift is when using "Save for Web". That's why, even when using images for web, I just use "Save as" and keep the color profile in there (plus keeps the metadata for copyright info).

If you want to batch these, you can import them in LR and do an export. If you don't have LR, PS has the Image Processor that allows you to set the output and do a batch conversion.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I find that I have to maintain in PS a full resolution 'master' image which I use to resize, map to sRGB & sharpen for web output for a screen version and similarly create a separate version with print resize & sharpen for paper output. It means I have 3+ files, master with no output adjustments, a web version and one or more print versions. If PS allowed you to retain the resize and ICC remap in layers then you could keep just one version of the file but alas ...

Grayhand

Thank you for your answers.
Looks like I have to work with more than one variant of each file.
To have one master file and make just resizing and sharpening for each output variant is ok.
But I have to find a method that not gives me problem with colour and/or “contrast dynamic” when I resize.
Well I suppose there is no shortcut past hard work...
Ray

fotografz

Thank you for your answers.
Looks like I have to work with more than one variant of each file.
To have one master file and make just resizing and sharpening for each output variant is ok.
But I have to find a method that not gives me problem with colour and/or “contrast dynamic” when I resize.
Well I suppose there is no shortcut past hard work...
Ray
I'd suggest writing your own actions in PS.

You may have to write more than one for different types or variant of images to get the color and contrast balanced to your eye, but once accomplished, you can then batch process and be done in minutes. The actions will be there afterwards as you add new images.

If you work with a typical image to start, then the most you'll have to do is tweak certain images a bit, but the general output would be pretty consistent.

-Marc

BTW, when you are working on those conversions I'd suggest changing your working color space to sRGB. Try this ... open one of your existing Tiffs or PSD files in your normal working color space and then change the color space to sRGB and watch what happens. Now close that file and change your working color space to sRGB and open the same file again.