The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phocus-Photoshop workflow

cbserota

I am new to Phocus--when I export files to either PS or Lightroom fromPhocus, the files have lost the adjustments I made in Phocus. I am using a Hass H4D-60, which neither Lightroom nor PS recognize, so I must convert them to DNG files first. Also, when exported to PS they seem to open in PS Camera Raw first, which seems to defeat the purpose of Phocus as a Raw converter. Any advice would be much appreciated--Thanks--Charley

Jeffg53

Exporting to TIF or PSD wil keep your adjustments. Exporting to DNG loses, at least some of, the Phocus corrections

Dustbak

The current version of Lightroom does not support H4D60 raw files (.3FR) and certainly no tethered raw files (.FFF). Exporting to DNG's is probably the worst way to go. With DNG's you loose most of what Phocus can do with your files (colors & DAC).

The better way to handle is to make adjustments in Phocus and export to 16bit Tiffs. Handle these in PS. You will notice you get much better quality out of your files.

Lightroom is able to handle .3FR files from other Hasselblad backs. I used Lightroom to archive these .3FR files. Some archive .FFF files, I have opted for the .3FR because of this. I hope one of these days Lightroom can handle .FFF files with all adjustments. For the moment I would settle for Lightroom again being able to handle at least the .3FR files of my H4D60.

fotografz

Actually, this has been my only criticism of Phocus and continues to be.

I do wish Hasselblad would allow the user to export DNGs with Phocus adjustments. Tiff 16 bit is okay, but not reversible and less flexible in terms of sizing ... I'd rather up-size RAW files for final output.

Many users are like me ... they shoot other formats. For a vast majority of work I am processing Hasselblad images along side other formats ... like my M9, Sony A900 or S2. It would be great if I could export DNGs with DAC and color adjustments done in Phocus to add to a Lightroom Library containing other DNGs and other RAW formats recognized by LR.

If not DNGs, then perhaps the 3FR files with adjustments intact?

-Marc

Miller

Actually, DNG is, according to Adobe, "a non-proprietary file format for storing camera raw files". This is the reason why a DNG-file opens in ACR.
I have taken a look at the DNG specifications. They include a lens correction option. I don't know if the corrections applied by Phocus can be translated into the formulas used in this DNG-option. But if so, these corrections would become public knowledge and I'm not shure Hasselblad would like that. So, if you value the lens corrections, 16-bit tiff export is your best option.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Adobe will eventually get around to supporting the -60 in LR. With a couple of dozen users it may not be at the top of their list.