The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format Hard Case or Backpack for Multi-day Backpacking Trips

goesbang

Shelby, I sleep in a Mountain Hardware bivvy most times.It has an internal frame, so you can be fully enclosed but not feel like you are in a body bag as the frame keeps the fabric off your face. I also have an ultralight one man tent made by Exped which I use if I might be staying in a spot for more than one night. I use a synthetic bag. Down bags don't do so well in really humid conditions as they progressively collect damp and lose insulation in these conditions. I use an Exped 3/4 length down filled air mattress under the sleeping bag.
Cheers,

timwier

Shelby, sounds like a fun trip.

I have a REI quarter dome tent (light and comfortable), a Big Agnes lost ranger sleeping bag (big enough to move around in and very light and compact), Therm-a-Rest Sleeping Pad (a MUST HAVE), camping pillow, micro stove, water purifier, Benro CF travel Angel tripod & head, glock 9mm (man's best friend), freeze-dried yum yum food, and most important a bear vault.

Grams, baby grams... it all adds up.

Have fun

Tim

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Not to hijack... but what are you guys sleeping in? I'm going out to play baroque trumpet in (and shoot photos for) the American Bach Soloists Academy this summer (in San Fran.) and am thinking of going out a week early and hiking up to thousand islands lake (a bit from Mammoth, CA). Not only am I agonizing about how heavy my camera gear is... but choosing a lightweight tent is bothering me too!
The Sierra isn't too bad - most elevation gain is over modest grades, trails are well maintained usually, maps are good and guidebooks are aplenty. I'd totally recommend anything up in the Ansel Adams Wilderness, out of Clovis or Mammoth, or Yosemite NP.

I use a Stephenson Warmlite 2RS with reflective liner and zipper sides - for all seasons. It's about 13 years old now and shows no signs of age yet. It has stood up to horizontal rain, getting completely buried in wet snow overnight (shoveling your way out of pitch black buried tent in the morning is an experience), and many hot days. The 2-person tent is, to me, effectively one person and gear, especially in winter. It's a roomy winter bivvy. The Bibler I-tent is a good choice too, slightly less prone to condensation (it has a brushed liner), but much warmer in summer. Black Diamond bought Bibler a few years back (7-8 years IIRC).

For warm season overnight trips I go with a Gregory Summit pack; they're no longer made and I'm not sure what the current equivalent is. My mainstay the rest of the time is a Gregory Whitney or Gregory Chaos depending on season and pack needs. But picking a pack is like picking a boot - it has to fit or you're screwed. Gregory just fits my body well. (I use a women's boot because of the narrower heel pocket. Fit is more important than any other consideration.)

I like Marmot sleeping bags - they're sized right for my 6'0 170lb body. Not too short, not too long, not too wide, not too tight. And they're warm for their weight. A winter bag needs to block condensation; if it gets wet you'll be cold. In the summer I carry a fleece blanket. A thermarest 3/4 pad except in winter when I use a full length plus a closed-foam pad for ground insulation. I carry a sleeping bag slightly on the cool side then carry a warm mid layer I can sleep in should it be cold. Nothing sucks more than a 15-degree bag on a 45 degree night. Whatever body part is in contact with it will get sweaty while the rest is cold. Better to bring a 35 degree bag and be prepared to dress up to sleep in 5-10, with maybe 15-25 more normal.

I hate to tell people what I use, because they might go buy it thinking it's going to work as well for them... There are so many individual factors. Not unlike cameras. :)