The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My first post here :)

Ralfsworld

This is my first post here as a member but I have been present here in last few months :)

I am wildlife photographer from Sweden (birds and animals) and have Canon equipment like 1D Mark IV, EF 400mm F/2,8 L IS, 70-200mm F/2,8 etc…
Landscape photography is my new passion and last year a bought 5D Mark II and 16-35 L F/2,8 II and 24-105 L IS F/4…etc.
I work with fashion and interior magazines seeing plenty of MF shots with really good quality… and seeing many good shots here in this forum I decided to join and invest some more money.

My new toys are Hasselblad H1 and Phase One 30+ with HC 80 2,8. I have one more lens on my list HC 35/3,5 and than I'll bee good :angel: or maybe not...

I have two question for you guys if it is ok?

1. Is 35mm wide enough for landscape photography considering that 30+ have 1,3 crop factor. For ex. 35/3,5mm (round 22mm in 35mm standard) x 1,3=45,5 (28,6 in 35mm standard) what is your experience?

2. Is Hasselblad Zeiss 40/4 or other Zeiss products are same or similar quality as Hasselblad HC lenses? …and I guess that I need some kind of converter or?

And I want to thanx Admins for this excellent forum as well :thumbs:

Regards
Ralf

mediumcool

Hi Ralf. Welcome! Sorry nobody has replied yet.

I moved to MF digital very recently too.

The way I have always compared lenses from different camera formats is by using the short side of the frame as a means of comparison. The Canon 5D has a frame height (when held horizontal) of 24mm; the P30+ 33mm (I’ll leave out the 0.1mm). So a 35mm lens is only slightly longer in focal length than the 30+’s shortest frame width — 35/33 which equals 1.06.

If you then multiply 24 by 1.06 = 25.44, the equivalent focal length on f/f 35mm cameras.

This only applies fully if you crop each format to the same ratio — in this case by cropping the Canon’s full frame to 24 x 32 (Nikon made a RF camera in this size many years ago).

If you wish to go the other way, you can crop the top, bottom (or both) of images from the P30+ to 29mm x 44mm to get the 2:3 ratio of f/f 35. All depends on what your print ratios will be.

So you have to decide; is a 25-ish equivalent lens wide enough? You could try making panoramas by rotating through the nodal point of the lens. More gear required!

Your options for bigger sensors are limited—to get above a 36mm x 48mm frame (not much larger than you have) will be very expensive; the Leaf Aptus 12 is 53.7 x 40.3mm. Also, using a technical or view cameras to use movements to make larger/wider images by stitching would not work very well with the P30+.

Ralfsworld

Thank you very much for replay :)

Stitching few shots gives good results. I did many panoramas with my 35mm cameras and was really pleased with results.
We have really cold weather here in Scandinavia so I need to wait for some sunshine and go out and test my new equipment. So fare I have only 80/2,8 and will try to make some panorama shot.

25,44mm is not so bad if I buy 35/3,5. Or maybe I'll wait and buy used 28/4 somewhere out there...

Godfrey

Hello Ralf,

Pleased to make your acquaintance. I used to shoot a lot with medium format film, haven't seen a need to jump there in digital as yet so I have little input regards the technical merits of particular equipment.

However, regards your Q1 :: most of the landscape work I truly enjoy is made with medium to long tele lenses, not wides. It's a matter of what style and aesthetic pleases you best. The ultra-ultra-wide vista is not all that interesting to me unless it is printed truly enormous ... and there are few opportunities for me to display or enjoy such work.

David Schneider

Landscape photography is my new passion and last year a bought 5D Mark II and 16-35 L F/2,8 II and 24-105 L IS F/4…etc.
I have a 5dmk2. Great camera. But virtually any mfd will blow it away. I have trouble looking at my 5dmk2 files if I've taken the same file with my H3d2-39.

ustein

Contributing Editor

However, regards your Q1 :: most of the landscape work I truly enjoy is made with medium to long tele lenses, not wides. It's a matter of what style and aesthetic pleases you best.
Godfrey, we are exactly on the same page. I have a little theory behind it. In a photo everything has to fit. The more you get into WA the harder this gets. With short or longer tele lenses you can better isolate.

For me WA fits more with architecture (manmade structures).

My 2 cents.

Ralfsworld

Hi Ralf. Welcome! Sorry nobody has replied yet.

I moved to MF digital very recently too.

The way I have always compared lenses from different camera formats is by using the short side of the frame as a means of comparison. The Canon 5D has a frame height (when held horizontal) of 24mm; the P30+ 33mm (I’ll leave out the 0.1mm). So a 35mm lens is only slightly longer in focal length than the 30+’s shortest frame width — 35/33 which equals 1.06.

If you then multiply 24 by 1.06 = 25.44, the equivalent focal length on f/f 35mm cameras.

This only applies fully if you crop each format to the same ratio — in this case by cropping the Canon’s full frame to 24 x 32 (Nikon made a RF camera in this size many years ago).

If you wish to go the other way, you can crop the top, bottom (or both) of images from the P30+ to 29mm x 44mm to get the 2:3 ratio of f/f 35. All depends on what your print ratios will be.

So you have to decide; is a 25-ish equivalent lens wide enough? You could try making panoramas by rotating through the nodal point of the lens. More gear required!

Your options for bigger sensors are limited—to get above a 36mm x 48mm frame (not much larger than you have) will be very expensive; the Leaf Aptus 12 is 53.7 x 40.3mm. Also, using a technical or view cameras to use movements to make larger/wider images by stitching would not work very well with the P30+.
It looks like I have two options:
1. Get 28/4 If I understood right 28/33=0,84 and than 24x0,84=20,16mm
So I have round 20mm to play
2. Or 50/3,5 and stitch few shots in wide panorama...

Thank you very much for your great explanation
Regards from cold Sweden
Ralf

Ralfsworld

Hello Ralf,

Pleased to make your acquaintance. I used to shoot a lot with medium format film, haven't seen a need to jump there in digital as yet so I have little input regards the technical merits of particular equipment.

However, regards your Q1 :: most of the landscape work I truly enjoy is made with medium to long tele lenses, not wides. It's a matter of what style and aesthetic pleases you best. The ultra-ultra-wide vista is not all that interesting to me unless it is printed truly enormous ... and there are few opportunities for me to display or enjoy such work.
Maybe you are right with your theory. I'll try and see what I can accomplish with my 80/2,8 (only one I have so fare)
Maybe 50-110 is something to put on the mind.

Thank you
Ralf

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I have trouble looking at my 5dmk2 files if I've taken the same file with my H3d2-39.

I don't, I look at photos instead :).

mediumcool

There are two aspects to the look of MF digital as far as I am concerned:

One is the shallower depth of field which can lend a “plasticity” to images, in the fine arts sense.

The other is the ease with which detail and texture are rendered (including a large dynamic range for [usually] better shadow detail).

I recall the first time I developed and contact-printed 8 x 10 monochrome film (not mine—I had a business that [in part] supplied processing to others in the ’70s). I was disappointed by the greyness of the image at first (dull?) but then on closer inspection noticed lots of small detail and graduations that would not have been there in much smaller originals. The “paper-peeking” of its day ...

I think the same applies in digital, but the 35mm manufacturers and the chip makers have done an astonishing job in reducing noise while extending sensitivity to very high levels. There are jobs for all formats—each has its charms and limitations.

My favourite camera that I can have with me all of the time (except in the shower) is the Panasonic GF! with its low anti-aliasing, but noise is always present. Then there is my Pentax APS-size SLR which does the majority of my commercial work with a wide range of lenses to cover most potentialities. And there is the Mamiya AFD with Leaf back which combined is a pig, with a number of piglet-sized lenses; I use this for commercial work needing movements (50mm shift lens) and for ultimate enlargeability.

The camera I seem to shoot most with is the GF1! But I haven’t made any money from it yet. :(