The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad frustration vs Technical obsession

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I tend to agree any good dealer could have pointed him in the right direction regardless of a sale or not. This stuff is beyond selling a cam to someone what it is COMPLETELY about is making sure his customer is totally informed on the system. But it is also a customers responsibility as well to let dealer know what type of shooting he is going to do. Is that not what we say when we get a new member on the forum and ask the question I am thinking of going into MF. I know as part owner here our members jump to help but also ask the QUESTION what are you planning to do with a MF system.

Now i don't know every detail of what happened with the OP and I am a HUGE propionate of doing your homework before jumping into the fires of Dante's inferno and i don't care what system you decide on I really don't but some of this falls on our own shoulders to get what you need today and what you think you may need tomorrow. This is simply capital expenditure 101 type stuff.

Also i am going to point this out one more time this forum is loaded with details and yes it maybe hard to get all the data but a day's worth of homework here should answer almost any question. Not to mention you can ask the questions yourself.

Guy Mancuso

I TOTALLY understand the desire to do this. :thumbs:

I love the simplicity of the tech camera with a matched MFDB for landscape work. As an amateur it really hits the mark for me vs the automation and relative speed of a DSLR solution such as the DF.

I don't think that Chuck is far off the mark here though for the work required to become truly proficient with technical cameras though.
I personally would have a extremely difficult time getting to tech cam only but that is me and still require the DSLR style MF body. But i do understand the love of getting to tech cam only. I had a ball with the Alpa TC which i always had a love affair for and it was really easy to work with in the field. But I simple use every lens in the bag from 24/28 to 300 and interestingly enough doing the workshop type work for some reason my 150 gets a lot of use in the total package of images but that damn 110mm has me wanting. LOL

I may just sell my 28mm to get the 110mm. Okay i am a sick bastard i know that but I am a lens freak too. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Terry

Guy - I agree that you can look up the answers to a lot of questions. The problem is not knowing what questions to ask.

Guy Mancuso

Guy - I agree that you can look up the answers to a lot of questions. The problem is not knowing what questions to ask.
Yea i tend to agree but even a good general question uncovers a lot of solutions as well. Maybe in this case a stretch but I do encourage people to participate and ask questions. I see the numbers of visitors everyday and amount of members we have . DON'T BE SHY, ask us . LOL

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Yea i tend to agree but even a good general question uncovers a lot of solutions as well. Maybe in this case a stretch but I do encourage people to participate and ask questions. I see the numbers of visitors everyday and amount of members we have . DON'T BE SHY, ask us . LOL
Very wise words. I've learnt a lot here at GetDPI by not being shy about asking questions, some dumb, some less dumb / naive and so on. The folks here are generally very helpful, genuine, friendly and knowledgeable and typically won't put you down for asking basic questions (unless you're a troll of course!).

LuLa also can be helpful although a little less friendly than the forum & community that Guy & Jack have created here. :thumbs:

I personally would have a extremely difficult time getting to tech cam only but that is me and still require the DSLR style MF body.
Ah but remember, I don't need to create a pay cheque for my efforts! If I did then it would be a different situation altogether. :)

Guy Mancuso

Agree Graham if your not relying on the diversity of clients than you can go it alone as a hobbyist without some of those needs I have as a Pro , no question. Bottom line and we all need to remember this as the hobbyist it is WHATEVER you want to do with your photography. You all just tick me off since it is all about fun and doing whatever YOU want to do without rules. I would kill for that sometimes. I do envy the hobbyist and have great respect for them, reason I like to teach them.

johnnygoesdigital

Dustbak,

Again, I didn't change my mind halfway, I did in fact, replace a faulty camera(s), that's it. Nothing to do with the tech/view camera options.
When researching for cameras that would evolve with me, I assumed that Hasselblad would go along for the ride. For me, the natural progression in researching a product is to go to the source first, and disseminate the info. Reading the tech data is a good starting point. I bet it's safe to say most here, when purchasing gear, probably did the same. The limitations that were apparently obvious were not included in the data. Instead of just looking at the diagram, actually read the information and tell me without knowing too much quantum physics if you would assume the same. And if not, point out where I read that wrong...anyone.

johnnygoesdigital

Guy, I love the wide photograph, Nice DOF! It's these photos that make me as giddy as a school girl! I know... I actually just wrote that, but it's true.

Truth be told, had I the pleasure of being exposed to the wonderful info available on GetDPI, prior to my purchase, the decision would have been different. Knowledge is power! And with that, my future purchase IS based in part, to the generosity of many here, combined with reams of data if you know what to look for, and the invaluable reviews from people actually using the gear, instead of biased marketing gloss.

Yes, it's my fault.

ajoyroy

Truth be told, had I the pleasure of being exposed to the wonderful info available on GetDPI, prior to my purchase, the decision would have been different. Knowledge is power! And with that, my future purchase IS based in part, to the generosity of many here, combined with reams of data if you know what to look for, and the invaluable reviews from people actually using the gear, instead of biased marketing gloss.

Yes, it's my fault.
I think that the fast paced world of instant gratification is seeping in to us. We like an idea, think about it and get it, just because we can afford it! In good old days when finances were a bit tight, and no internet, a lot of search and research was done before acquiring your dream. Now we mostly do the research once the deal turns sour.

To believe in the manufacturer's literature, especially in today's scenario is a bit naive, I would always verify all the claims on a relevant forum, be it a camera, a car or a plane. What I have learned in this forum and others like it, is that the manufacturer can claim (and at times remain silent on crucial points), but it is upto us the paying customers to see beyond the sales speak, and verify the suitability of the goods to our requirements.

Guy Mancuso

Well said but we are all guilty of some instant gratification on some purchases. Lenses for sure. I know I am

David,

You still didn't answer my question about the Hasselblad literature. Whenever you're ready.........."crickets"
No crickets or tumbleweeds Johnny.

I don't monitor the forum 24/7 and was consequently travelling last week.

Anyway, to the matter in hand.

As nobody was present when yourself and your (NY?) dealer had your conversations, I don't know to what extent you spoke about technical camera connectivity.

I agree we need more information regarding tech camera usage, and I already mentioned earlier on in the thread that we are producing such a document.

If you like, PM your dealer name, Ill give them a call and then we can get you on the road to happy shooting.

How does that sound?

David

S

stewpid

Seems a good moment to say that having met David Grover, and seen him work, he's clearly a very knowledgable and helpful guy. I've also met Yair and the same comments apply to him. They're about as far removed from the "salesperson" stereotype as I can imagine. I'd bet they could easily get work elsewhere, even in this economic climate, and it's to their enormous credit that they stick around certain forums despite the hard time they're often given. Sadly, that's even creeping into this forum slightly. Doesn't matter which camp you're a fanboy of, surely it's worth being polite to people like David, Steve, Doug and Yair? I have yet to see a post from one of them that wasn't designed to be helpful, often ignoring plain old-fashioned rudeness. Thanks guys and I hope you find the strength to keep it up.

ondebanks

Except the ones about 1/2" wide in a tiny little window...
I agree that this is an irritating feature of many newer lenses. Adding AF to a lens has somehow been interpreted by some lens designers as "they will never need to look at the focus scale again".

I like the older MF M645 lenses for this and many other reasons. Proper focus/DOF scales; real aperture rings; enabling adaptability to 35mm DSLRs like my Canon 5DII; cheaper; often faster. I shoot at or close to wide open a lot of the time, so the stop-down metering and composition doesn't really bother me.

Would I swap my MF 200/2.8 APO for an AF 210/4 ULD? Not on your nelly.

Ray

ondebanks

Alpa with P40+ and 24 XL centerfilter focused at 7 feet at F14. Easy peasy except I can't see what I am doing. Need new IQ . LOL

Just kidding it was not bad at all but I was laying down almost to see my LCD. New IQ will make this type of work a walk in the park. For a guy that does not use a Tech camera often , I did find this a joy to shoot on the workshop and almost every image with it is on the money. But this 24mm with a P40+ Dalsa is problematic as Doug mentioned.

Guy, that's lovely. Reminiscent of the polar regions of Mars (except the sky is too blue!)

Ray