The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad frustration vs Technical obsession

ondebanks

Seems a good moment to say that having met David Grover, and seen him work, he's clearly a very knowledgable and helpful guy. I've also met Yair and the same comments apply to him. They're about as far removed from the "salesperson" stereotype as I can imagine. I'd bet they could easily get work elsewhere, even in this economic climate, and it's to their enormous credit that they stick around certain forums despite the hard time they're often given. Sadly, that's even creeping into this forum slightly. Doesn't matter which camp you're a fanboy of, surely it's worth being polite to people like David, Steve, Doug and Yair? I have yet to see a post from one of them that wasn't designed to be helpful, often ignoring plain old-fashioned rudeness. Thanks guys and I hope you find the strength to keep it up.
I too am impressed by their frequent and patient input on all these fora.

But I am moved to ask, out of curiosity: does a pro Canikon shooter have to resort to their dealer for answers, to the same extent? And if not, why not? What does that say about the manner in which MF companies document their wares?

Ray

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I too am impressed by their frequent and patient input on all these fora.

But I am moved to ask, out of curiosity: does a pro Canikon shooter have to resort to their dealer for answers, to the same extent? And if not, why not? What does that say about the manner in which MF companies document their wares?

Ray
Partly chicken and the egg. Since most dealers who sell Canon and Nikon can't answer advanced questions I think many photographers learn to go-it-on-their own.

I know first hand that many of our customers call me with lots of Canon/Nikon questions.

A Canon on an Cambo X-2 begs a lot of questions. What lenses are compatible? What amount of movement can be expected?

When the 5DII was first released the full raw file was compatible in Aperture but not the sRaw reduced-res format - that created questions.

The 5DII can shoot video?? What sort of format, what should I edit in? How do I do manual exposures? What's this I hear about a firmware update for manual control? What's this 29.997 vs 30fps thing?

Want to change the focus button from the shutter to the rear AF button (only)? You can find it in the Janesenglish documentation, but I tell you what - a knowledgable dealer can tell you in seconds. More importantly a knowledgable dealer would know you shot a style in which the AF button on the rear is a much better setup and would therefore suggest it right off the bat.

You can control remote flashes (via ratio settings and A/B/C channel assignment) using a Canon 580EXII, but whats the difference between the 580EX and the 580EXII? O, and did you hear about the PocketWizard branded remote slaves? Why would I want one of those?

You mean my Canon lens won't work on my Canon body? What do you mean smaller sensor?

My image gets dark at the top when I use the rise on my Canon 17TS lens; also there is a slight color cast at the edge that screws up my white ceilings. What do you mean Canon doesn't have a solution for this? I have to use "Capture One"?? What's that?

What do you mean Capture One produces better quality from my Nikon raw file than LightRoom does? It's all raw right - so whats the difference?

You mean this grip doesn't HAVE to use two batteries? But there are two battery slots!
Zeiss makes great lenses for Nikon and Canon - which ones are worth the money. You can google it, ask on forums, but a good dealer would already know. More importantly they'd have been the one to introduce you to the possibility of Zeiss lenses (or conversely a knockoff like Tamaron) because they knew you and knew it would be a good match for you.

Frankly, there just isn't enough money to be made selling Canon/Nikons that many (if any) dealers can go to that level of service. So photographers learn it themselves.

Of course the other part is that medium format is, for sure, more complicated. But part of that is a natural consequence of building a system that can be used in a large variety of situations, rather than the more one-size-fits-all of a dSLR.

Often the most important role a dealer has is to tell you the questions you haven't asked. Google can answer (almost) any question you know to ask and have time/patience/background-knowledge to analyze. Google can't do anything for you if you don't know what question to ask.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

malmac

Dear All

Thanks to all who have contributed to this topic.

I am currently a Canon user who is interested in using MFD - originally very keen on Hasselblad but following all the reading I have been doing on this site and the Hasselblad User site, I am strongly considering Phase 1.

I for one undertsand the conecept of, "I don't know, what I don't know". So I keep reading and it is slowing down my urge to part with my cash and suffer the pain of buyer remorse.

Thanks to everyone for sharing both your frustrations and your views. I for one am trying to learn before I leap in.

As a matter of interest, while I do see a few items up for sale through this site, where does one go to buy second hand MFD cameras and backs?

Thansk

Mal

Jeffg53

Mal, there is often gear for sale on hasselbladdigitalforum.com. I have picked up a few lenses there. CR Kennedy would be worth a call. They are the importers in Oz. You could also try Foto Riesel in Sydney. KEH is another great place to buy.

rhsu

Mal, ...... try Foto Riesel in Sydney.
Give Foto Riesel a call (02) 9299-6745 and ask for Peter... They are retailers of good standing! Alternatively, give Capture Scan Print, David, a call (02) 9873-1579 as well.

Good luck...

johnnygoesdigital

Dear All

Thanks to all who have contributed to this topic.

I am currently a Canon user who is interested in using MFD - originally very keen on Hasselblad but following all the reading I have been doing on this site and the Hasselblad User site, I am strongly considering Phase 1.

I for one undertsand the conecept of, "I don't know, what I don't know". So I keep reading and it is slowing down my urge to part with my cash and suffer the pain of buyer remorse.

Thanks to everyone for sharing both your frustrations and your views. I for one am trying to learn before I leap in.

As a matter of interest, while I do see a few items up for sale through this site, where does one go to buy second hand MFD cameras and backs?

Thansk

Mal
Mal,

It is good to be thorough in your research with MFD. My lesson learned was that I did not research the complex technical data that is unique to each DB. With Hasselblad you get a great camera system that is most definitely capable of outstanding resolution and really big prints if needed. In fairness, I do think a company should have a caveat or disclosure showing the difference in each DB as it pertains to end use. For me, the closed system of Hasselblads H4D wouldn't allow many tech/view options, mostly related to power needs to the DB.
Either Phase One or Hasselblad will provide you with a camera system that with proper technique, will be quite impressive. Knowing the differences of each and how this will factor in to your style and evolution as a photographer, will be tantamount to a smart decision.