The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DB and camera recommendation for stitching landscapes - thoughts?

jerryreed

I have been considering purchasing a second DB for some while now, mainly to use to make landscape images utilizing newer stitching software. As background, I use a Sinarcam 2 and a SINAR 54 H to make images for the purpose of art reproduction. I am very happy with SINAR, and especially my SINAR dealer's support. I had been leaning toward the Hy6 based upon my favorable experience to date, price being the main unfavorable consideration.

Since for me the landscape work will not likely be an income source for me, I was looking for a good value, and thought that purchasing a Phase One P 25 (non-plus) model would be the way to go. Until this morning when, I received an email from Hasselblad, where the offer proposed to sell the H3DII-31 for $17,995 (complete kit).

I have an opportunity to purchase the Hy6 kit a DEMO for $29,000.

I can buy the P 25 and a Horseman for about $20,000.

The new Phase One Camera with the P25+ DB, also looks like a nice value.

I believe that the Hasselblad back is not self-powered and would require external power to connected to the Horseman. So, not too convenient.

No doubt, I have failed to consider options that are not known to me and have failed to consider considerations that would make one or more of these choices a illogical choice. So, I am asking if you might help me to weigh the various options available, with primary consideration being given to the fact that this would likely not be an income maker for me.

Jerry Reed

woodyspedden

I have been considering purchasing a second DB for some while now, mainly to use to make landscape images utilizing newer stitching software. As background, I use a Sinarcam 2 and a SINAR 54 H to make images for the purpose of art reproduction. I am very happy with SINAR, and especially my SINAR dealer's support. I had been leaning toward the Hy6 based upon my favorable experience to date, price being the main unfavorable consideration.

Since for me the landscape work will not likely be an income source for me, I was looking for a good value, and thought that purchasing a Phase One P 25 (non-plus) model would be the way to go. Until this morning when, I received an email from Hasselblad, where the offer proposed to sell the H3DII-31 for $17,995 (complete kit).

I can buy the P 25 and a Horseman for about $20,000.

The new Phase One Camera with the P25+ DB, also looks like a nice value.

I believe that the Hasselblad back is not self-powered and would require external power to connected to the Horseman. So, not too convenient.

No doubt, I have failed to consider options that are not known to me and have failed to consider considerations that would make one or more of these choices a illogical choice. So, I am asking if you might help me to weigh the various options available, with primary consideration being given to the fact that this would likely not be an income maker for me.

Jerry Reed
Hi Jerry

I have the H3DII-39 and have no direct experience with the H3DII-31 but my understanding is this product is optimized for high ISO applications and uses micro lenses as part of the design. Only reason to point this out is that many people have commented on colors shifts when stitching with backs using these lenses. In fact there was a thread here that showed images of just that phenomenon.

Marc Williams (FOTOGRAFZ) has a H3DII-31 and tons of experience with MFDB and would be a really good resource for you in this regard

Woody

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well for landscape work you have a couple choices in cameras for stitching. Cambo, Horseman and Alps which will take almost any back. As far as backs the Hassy you have to have a image bank for the power so that is a extra thing externally to deal with. The Phase is self contained with power and also has the ability to do very long exposures. I have the P25 plus and really like it. The P25 non plus can be had used for a very nice price these days as well as other backs. The H3/31 is a crop back also and has micro lenses for moire control and such and may really cause problems with shifting which it and the P30 backs are not recommended for. So really your choices are another Sinar back, not sure how there power works, leaf aptus which like Phase has the battery on back. If Phase than either the 25 or 45 , If hassy the 39 back. I think they have a 22 also. The one issue is you go outside of Sinar than you need to have a different raw processing software per say. I will let others fill in here.

Graham Mitchell

There is more to the different backs than price and megapixels alone.

For example the Sinar backs use mount adapters, which means you can use a back on a Hy6 one day, and a Hass H2 or Mamiya 645 the next if you want.

In case you were not aware, the H3DII-31 uses a smaller sensor than the 22, 33 and 39MP sensors, which is why it is significantly cheaper. This may or may not cause you problems. Something to look into anyway.

I would definitely look at the quality of the optics of the various systems too. Maybe you are better off with something like an Alpa or Cambo rather than an SLR. The optics are superior for landscape. If that is all you will use the camera for then I recommend looking at this option too.

T

thsinar

You don't know this by now, Guy?!
:thumbdown:

Seriously: the eMotion backs have an internal battery allowing for at least 3 hours continuous shooting (or up to 2'500 images) when the battery is new and at normal temperatures (20°C).

Thierry

So really your choices are another Sinar back, not sure how there power works, The one issue is you go outside of Sinar than you need to have a different raw processing software per say. I will let others fill in here.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Thierry I get confused sometimes on all these backs , I hate to state facts when I am not sure. I hate to be wrong. LOL Great info on the Sinar thanks now i know. LOL

David K

Workshop Member
Jerry Reed
Jerry, when evaluating your options and comparing prices do not forget to factor in the warranty as extending these when they expire can be expensive. I believe the Demo Hy6 carries a two year warranty vs. their standard three years for new gear.

T

thsinar

Just kidding, Guy. Don't take me seriously.

Thierry

Thanks Thierry I get confused sometimes on all these backs , I hate to state facts when I am not sure. I hate to be wrong. LOL Great info on the Sinar thanks now i know. LOL

Dale Allyn

Actually be nice we had a spread sheet on all of these backs. Would make it a lot easier. LOL
Guy, you make a great point. A combined chart comparing features of all of the brands of backs would be very helpful. Companies often have this for their line so that one can easily compare among the models, but wouldn't it be great to assemble one which includes all brands – and includes the comparison of features we need to consider, like power source, mount flexibility, average lens cost, presence of micro-lenses, etc?

It wouldn't be too difficult, just a bit of that precious commodity: time.