The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PhaseOne P30+ vs Hasselblad H4D-31

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
For you absolutely no question about it. Always friends first, I don't want you feeling this way and more important don't want this forum feeling polarized in any way. Can we chat Monday though or in the morning Friday. Nancy home throwing out the honey do's. LOL

TTLKurtis

Had a chance to check out the latest Phase back at WPPI on Monday. I have to say, I was rather underwhelmed and didn't like the way it felt in my hand very much. Haven't handled the Hasselblad to compare.

Ironically, I did finally get some hands-on time with the Nikon D3s... and I'm considering ditching Canon now (I don't know any local Nikon shooters so this was my first chance to really play with pro Nikon body / lenses). But that's another discussion for another area of the forum I suppose. :D

vjbelle

My goodness, you left out the new Schneider lenses, like the 120mm Tilt/Shift, and the 55mm, 80mm, 110mm, 150mm Lea Shutter lenses. :rolleyes:

Steve Hendrix
Am I missing something or is there really a 150mm leaf shutter lens available? It sure isn't on the Phase site.

Victor

malmac

I have found these comparison discussions very helpful as I also amconsidering Hasselblad Vs Phase One, much the same as the comparison between Nikon and Canon.

If someone shooting Hasselblad has something good to say about the camera, great, bring it on and same goes for Phase One users.

How are non owners going to get the initial feel for the cameras if not through these expressed experiences.

Thank you to all for sharing your experience.

Mal

Hi Mal,

I am biased of course. ;)

Hasselblad -

• 11 High performance lenses – all with lens shutter and in-built AF motors
• Fully automatic digital lens corrections for all H lenses – no manual lens selection. Uses actual capture conditions reported automatically by the lens
• Instant manual focus override – no need for manual switching of focus mode
• HTS 1.5 Tilt/Shift converter with 5 lenses including automatic digital lens correction
• CF lens adapter for Carl Zeiss C/CF lenses with full lens shutter operation
• Digital lens correction for all Carl Zeiss lenses
• Advanced auto-focus system including gyro based True Focus
• Interchangeable viewfinders
• Larger and brighter viewfinder image
• Excellent ergonomics
• Camera mirror-up mode, for zero vibration captures. Mirror remains UP between captures.
• 4 User programmable buttons, for short-cuts to the most used functions • 7 user profiles storing complete camera set-up, for fast and safe access to different modes of operation
• Convenient single battery solution – only one battery type and charger required
• DC Power Grip, for powering the camera from mains power
• Full camera remote control via Phocus and Phocus Mobile for iPad and iPhone. Remote camera control includes focussing via control of the AF motor
• Fully user upgradeable camera firmware for viewfinder, camera and lenses. No need to return to the service centre
• GPS accessory
• Multi-shot functionality option
• IAA – Instant Approval Architecture for manual or automatic classification of images in the camera
• Rollei- and Schneider electronic shutter control for View Camera use
• Single color profile delivering outstanding colors – no need for profile selection depending on the subject.

Colin Johnston of CRK in Australia will be able to give you a run through of the system.

David

andrew wuttke

in response to malmac

i tried out both phase/mamiya and blad h4d and both make excellent pictures, awesome tonal range heaps of detail in the mids to pull out in post, lense selection, lots of pixels blah blah etc.

Ultimately i dont rekon there's much in it in regards to image quality. So why did i go with hasselblad? i found it a simpler system, one battery, digital back incorporated into the body design, nice feel and a really good agent in melbourne Damon Rulach from C R Kennedys... i think this is important as you are going to end up spending around $30k on a system and you'll be dealing with the sales team for a number of years, so backup bodies/lenses, returning phone calls promptly, repairs and rental needs to be considered. And a bit of love from the rep can go a long way.

so good luck with your decision whatever way you go you're gonna love it

andrew

TTLKurtis

For what it's worth I played with the latest PhaseOne at WPPI in Vegas Nd I was shocked how cheap it felt. Heavy but cheap. And not as comfortable to hold as I'd expected (I thought ergonomics would be a big plus over Hasselblad).

I haven't had experience with the Hasselblad but I suspect that's the route I will one day go.

MP7

Heck I like them all including film. I also like shooting the top Schneider glass on my H4D system.