The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tripod choice for 645DF - Neptune strikes!

baxter

Neptune claimed my tripod and consigned it to the deep on a dawn shoot this morning.

The same wave drenched me, the open camera bag and the 645DF/P45+.... Camera now drying out etc etc and rather hoping that it will be ok when I power it up once I am confident it is fully dry.

Therefore I am faced with replacing the Gitzo 1325 which has served me so well over a number of years. I like 3 section tripods and don't want centre column. One other constraint is that it needs to readily available in the UK as I am off to Cornwall in 6 days for another shoot. Most of my photography is Coastal and Landscape. I'm happy with Gitzo, apart from the price!

So what are your suggestions please?

I was really happy with the Arca-Swiss P0 ballhead and shall replace this like-for-like.

Paul2660

Make sure to look at the Really Right Stuff tripods, their base 3 leg, 3 seg model should be around the same price as the Gitzo.

Really Right Stuff TVC-33

Paul Caldwell

baxter

Thanks Paul - I was aware of these when they were in development and sound v interesting.

There are no RRS stockists in UK and the one you mention is out of stock. I agree that seems like the most appropriate model. Faced with 20% import duty, it makes the cost prohibitive.

If anyone does know of a RRS European/UK stockist, I'd love to be proved wrong on my research!

baxter

That's looking most likely solution Ben, but as someone who had the old tripod for 7 years, without feeling need to change felt behind the curve, hence post. Last one even survived being run over by my Merc estate car!

Thanks for your concern Wayne and Yair. Fortunately camera and P45+ seem to be ok after much wiping, drying and removal of salt. Not convinced the Phase 45mm lens is 100% on autofocus at the moment, feels and sounds slightly noisier than my 80mm LS.

Obviously I was more worried about state of camera, but knew that time was needed before I could be confident and power it up.

Paul Whiting's pictures show the size of the larger waves breaking on the Ledge and why I opted to shoot from 4 foot up! His were taken slightly earlier and because the tide was rising, wave action improved. By then I was in camera drying/salvage mode! I was shooting about a 1/4 way down from top on LHS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulwhiting/5439310724/
and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulwhiting/5438563553/

Here is one of mine shortly before the tripod was swept from this viewpoint. It ought to be entitled 'Tripod's last stand'!

johnnygoesdigital

Since you're already familiar with the Gitzo line, I highly recommend their Carbon fiber models. I have a back pack model that I use an H4 with. It's an outstanding tripod! I've used it salt/fresh water and had the ability to strap it to my pack with no appreciable weight gain. The center column is removable and everything folds up and out of the way. In addition it very easy to take apsrt and clean after a salt water adventure.

Keep us posted on the camera and back as i'm sure this will be an important endorsement on the product line...or not.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I use one of the Gitzo Carbon models (6X), the GT3530LS. The great advantage for me is that with the legs fully extended and a Cube on top, the Phase 645 DF is at exactly the right height for my eye. (I'm 6 ft tall).

This makes it much quicker to extend/use - with longer tripods I had to guess (or mark) how far to extend the legs. Now I know it's "all the way", at least usually. And the legs don't rotate so collapsing it is quick and doesn't require locking unless you're storing it.

The best tripod I own. Good luck with your camera!
Bill

arashm

Man I'd be pretty sad if I lost my gitzo to the sea...
Having said that my day in day out full size legs are the 3541XL as well.
am

G

Googaliser

Hi Baxter -

I cannot recommend the Gitzo Ocean more highly for aquatic adventures. Despite being one of the Traveler line-up - I have had it holding long (300 2.8) lenses with ease. It is incredibly rigid, super light and goes everywhere with me. Sealed against the elements. I would recommend swapping the head out though for a bit more stability - I use one of these.

Where total stability is a requirement and weight is less of an issue - The RRS TVC-33 is fantastic and deceptively light. Build quality is a step-up from Gitzo. I also use the legs for video with a fluid head and cheap RRS bowl adaptor. So its pretty versatile - albeit at a price.

M

baxter

Thanks to all. Seems that Gitzo 3 series is most popular. Wondering if anyone has tested 3 series against the 5 series and noticed an improvement. There doesn't seem too much difference in price (depending on the model selected), but there is in weight!

Generally I am shooting on Coastline and frequently there is a fair bit of wind. I noticed how much the legs on my 1325 vibrated from the airflow and wondered how much of an adverse effect this was having on picture sharpness. It can't have been improving it!

Given the amount of lens testing which gets air-time here in Dante's special place, I am wondering if someone might have evaluated the stability of the camera platform too.

Here are some of the other shots I made before the tripod went swimming.

johnnygoesdigital

Baxter,

Again, please keep us posted to the camera and DB. Obviously, you must have removed the CF card after the "swim", so that's a good indication!

Nice pics!

woodyspedden

Thanks to all. Seems that Gitzo 3 series is most popular. Wondering if anyone has tested 3 series against the 5 series and noticed an improvement. There doesn't seem too much difference in price (depending on the model selected), but there is in weight!

Generally I am shooting on Coastline and frequently there is a fair bit of wind. I noticed how much the legs on my 1325 vibrated from the airflow and wondered how much of an adverse effect this was having on picture sharpness. It can't have been improving it!

Given the amount of lens testing which gets air-time here in Dante's special place, I am wondering if someone might have evaluated the stability of the camera platform too.

Here are some of the other shots I made before the tripod went swimming.
Baxter

I have the 5541 LS and think it is a very fine tripod though a bit heavy for me (I am 73 years old). Both Jack and Guy have the 3500 series (I don't remember exactly which model) and seem happy that it provides the stability they need for their MF Phase systems. I looked at Guys on a workshop last year and it appeared to be as stable as the 5500 series, at least for cameras of this weight. Might be a different story for 4x5 film stuff.

I also have a 2541 with a cube which I absolutely love. It is stable enough for me (I shoot a Leica S2 which of course is relatively lightweight) and at its weight and bulk is something I can carry around without much stress. Both are Gitzos of course and both are the 6X fiber.

My personal opinion is there is no reason to switch away from Gitzo unless you find something that meets your needs and is significantly cheaper. I don't think I will need another tripod in my lifetime.

Hope this helps

Woody

baxter

Very helpful information Woody - I am heading over to Robert White on Wednesday to have a good look at the range of Gitzos they have in stock. They don't have a wind tunnel facility, so will have to guestimate on this aspect!

Gitzo seem to have the best this side of the pond. If I was Stateside, then RRS would feature more heavily in my must see/consider, but cost is prohibitive due to Sterling/Dollar then a 20% import tax. My summer trip to Hawaii is to long to wait!

Johnny the water was predominantly on the outside. Removal of the back at the location revealed a couple of drops of water on the flange between the camera and P45. It was nowhere near the sensor and easily wiped off. Lens removal again showed a few drops on the alloy, but nowhere near the chamber.

So without wanting to tempt fate, think that the camera ought to be fine.

Christopher

Well while the Gitzo 3 series is fine, I would not compare it with the 5 series, which is a LOT more stable. On the other hand a lot more weight to carry. I had nearly all 1,2,3,5 series, currently I keep a very small 1 series tripod, which I use for hiking and other stuff. I even use it with my Arca camera, it works quite well.

Next to it is my 2 series tripod, I prefered it ofer th 3 series because it just is a tad smaller and lighter. I finish it off with a 5 series tripod for location work.

baxter

Thanks for the further advice and observations. I have now been and bought a 5 series as it was so much sturdier and I think that it will be better suited to the windy locations I use on the British coast.

Gitzo don't currently do water-wings for their tripods, just triple snorkel tubes....

Also decided that the P0 head was a bit of a mismatch with the 5 series, so went for the P1. Would have loved to been able to have option of considering the currently unavailable D4 and Linhof heads. Never mind, it all looks like it will serve me well for many years.