The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Can MF take the heat

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I need to confess, that being the moron that I am, I first processed it with the ICC Profile of P25+ Flash rather than "outdoor daylight". I did redo it before reading the posts of you others and find that it's still pretty close to the specs I mentioned above, though some tweaking from those helps a bit IMO. I just wanted to come clean on my miss-step on the profile setting.

Umm, Phase One, how about giving us a preference control to set the default ICC profile??!! Like in v3.7.8. I'm not real bright so I do that nearly every time I open the damn program.
I know we have been complaining of this one. It is promised in Pro

Dale Allyn

Alright I am sick of these images. LOL
Yeah, me too, but I had to go through it once more. LOL

Soooo...

In C-1 v4.1.1 I like the following:

P25+ Outdoor Daylight
Film Standard
Tint +5
WB Hue: 336º
WB Saturation: 3%
Exposure: -0.23
Contrast: -4
Saturation: -5
Shadow: 15
Highlight: 23

And if I don't look at it again, and never view this thread again to compare it to conversions by you others, then I'm sure I'll be satisfied. :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
After fooling around with getting LR and C1 to make nice, I think that LR is toast, but I am still annoyed with all of the c1 directories that are left everywhere.
-bob

Dale Allyn

Bob,

I agree with you. I find myself deleting C-1 folders that are created by just opening an image file to take a look at it –even some silly file sitting on the desktop that isn't to be processed.

Maybe long-time C-1 users like the way the application works, and perhaps they feel LR or ACR/Bridge suck, but I would not be using C-1 if not for the superior handling of Phase One files. Just using it over the past couple of weeks has caused my carpel tunnel syndrome to flare up. Hopefully, they'll make a boat-load of money and reinvest it in fixing the C-1 UI. :)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Well, last week I had carpal tunnel surgery on my mouse hand. I doubt that it was caused by this though.
LR just really is awful for P45+ files sort of ok for M8 files if you tweak the color, not very good for D3 files, but pretty good for D200.
Unless Adobe gets better on the raw side, I don't see any hope. I try to keep the same file structure no matter what processor I am using, and so far, the only one that screws with it is C1. Instead of keeping state in a database or side-car files like LR, C1 scatters this all over the place. If you delete those files, your state goes away. I had C1 so confused after one file cleanup, in my photo directory space, that it would not start.
-bob

Dale Allyn

Bob,

I know that you had the surgery. I hope that you are healing well. I have carpel tunnel and ulnar neuritis (same thing, but last two fingers via the elbow). I'm an ex-rock climber and did a lot of other things to mess things up.

Re. file structures: I'm a bit of dinosaur. I like my stuff in folders in the finder's Pictures folder (Mac). Like having an images folder at root. I use directory names like 20080624_Yosemite_1 for keeping them straight. XMP files are kept as "sidecars files" and everything works fine, regardless of application to view them. Enter C-1... well, you know. I'm sure the fine folks at Phase can explain that I'm a dolt and have been working wrong all these years, but that doesn't help my process much. I like my files to be held in a way that I can archive them all at once if I like. Search them quickly with the system search (Spotlight). Change computers and copy the volume over, etc.

I don't envy Phase One in their task, but I can't help but feel that they aren't getting or accepting enough input from users as they design the software. ACR does an acceptable job on my Canon files when I do my part to drive it correctly. And it allows me to easily work with my files from the finder level which I prefer. I'd like to see C-1 adopt some conventions we're used to from CS3 and for Adobe to either do a better job on our Phase (or other maker's) files, or to build in a painless method for us to profile and calibrate our gear to use CS3/Bridge/ACR/LR.