The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens comparison of Hassy HC 80 vs. 110

harmsr

Workshop Member
I'm very curious about the 110/2.2 HC lens. I do not have it, but would like to know from anyone who does have it how it compares the to the 80/2.8.

What is the handling like, how is the OOF rendering, sharpness, color, detail, contrast, etc...

When & for what uses do you prefer it over the 80 or the other way around.

Your comments and sample photos would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ray

mark1958

Ray.. I have both lenses as of this week. BTW it is a 100 not 110. I sold my 50mm and got an 80 as part of the deal. The OOF is better with the 100mm and to me that is the major difference. The nice thing about the 80mm is that it is smaller and lighter. I am not sure i will keep the 80mm long term. I really like the 100mm. It probably is not worthwhile having both but if you are doing portraits, I would go with the 100mm because the OOF is generally better. I can try to do some comparisons. Le me know if there is something specific or a specific type of shot you are interested in. THe 120mm HC macro is an outstanding lens. The 100mm plus extension tubes allow you to get very nice close up shots so if you do not do a lot of macros-- the extension tubes are a good option. One other point, is the 100mm plus extension tube is as good as the 150mm at least on the 31 meg sensor.

Nick-T

I can't remember the last time I used my 80 since getting the 100. That extra half a stop makes the viewfinder that much brighter and the OOF areas are lovely, I'll see if I can find a sample to show you.
Nick-T

harmsr

Workshop Member
Thanks Mark & Nick.

I really don't do a lot of real macro work, so I passed on the 120 although it was an outstanding lens. It was loaned to me for a week by the dealer, but I returned it to go with the 150.

I currently have the 80 & 150 which I use for people. I have been using the 80 with the small extension tube for product shots. (handgun size objects)

If you can post some samples of portraits from both lenses at different apertures, that would be really great.

Thanks,

Ray