The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PhaseOne H5 back - needs magic spell?

stevem_nj

I'm starting this new thread, copied from my post in the ForSale thread, since I can use your help and if my question was left in the For Sale threads, few may see it.

Ok -magic words anyone?
Anyone have the magic wand to wave and know the magic words to use the h5 back?

I have yet to see it light up, or be recognized by 2 different PCs.
I received the back,
attached it to a hassy500,
plugged the short lead wire from the lens flash pc to the "C" port on the side of the H5,
purchased a new firewire (not in the package with the back)
registered with PhaseOne web and downloaded 3 different trial versions of the captureOne software. (no software in the package with the back)
installed into 2 different laptops (both belong to friends of mine, my desktop has no firewire port)
still dark and unrecognized by the PC.

what NEXT? (how did you test this? Traut)

signed -puzzled -Steve.

MaxKißler

I am sorry but my last magic wand ran out of pixie dust... So here comes cruel reality: Your H5 appears to have some kind of hardware issue, it's defect. It might be the Firewire port (just guessing). This could have happened during shipping, I don't know. I have never owned one but had similiar issues with a Leaf Valeo 11. As far as I know, Capture One immedeately recognizes any connected digital back so one can only suggest that it's dead...

If you don't want to abondon hope that easily, try moving the connected FW cable at the backs FW port to see if it's just a loose contact.

Finally, like many others here would suggest: Go to your local dealer and let him/her take a look at your back.

H3dtogo

A H5 is to me one of the most robust backs i have ever used. Mine fell on the concrete floor twice, luckely without damaging the sensor/IR filter but the casing was totally crashed. It kept on working and working....
But you need power to use the H5, iow a Mac laptop, preferrable an old one with lots of power on the FW port. Most PC don't have enough power or sometimes no power on the FW port.

yaya

Might be a dumb comment but the Firewire port on your PC should be one that has 6 pins and that produces power.

If not, then you can use a powered hub

Yair

stevem_nj

Thanks to all --
I ended up - - installing a new PCI 1394 firewire card/port -- into the desktop pc.

it has power - and i re-set a number of options on the control panel for the new port.

now it is recognized and the version of "Capture One" accepts the images from the firewire as i trigger the camera/back.

it was tough few weeks (not much time able to be devoted to it) but hey its only a hobby.

thanks all --
i'll be back, i'm sure.