The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

tech cameras and LCC.

R

rpb

Hi all,

I'm am very keen to upgrade my kit to MFDB, probably P45+and a tech camera, Alpa STC but have a few questions regarding LCC's. I have learned, mainly through reading this and other forums that users are shooting LCC's for every different situation. I'm not sure how possible this will be in the field for the type of photography I plan to do with this set-up. I shoot a lot at dusk, building exteriors, moving cars with connected rig arms etc with exposures ranging from a few seconds up to a few minutes. At dusk, time is very short and light low (just to state the obvious) and I shudder tho think of doubling up my exposures. I suppose my question is, in situations like these are you still shooting LCCs or are you using saved ones you have shot in the past?

Thanks,
rp.

yaya

As long as you take notes of the displacement amounts and the Aperture used, you don't have to shoot the LCC images in the field. You can create them later in daylight on even in the studio with strobes

On Leaf Aptus-II backs you can enter these notes such as "8mm rise @ f8 1/3" etc. and add the focal length to the EXIF data manually

Yair

R

rpb

Thank you Yair for your quick response.

That is just the info I was after, in the studio with strobes sounds perfect. Are there any situations were you would think it would be very beneficial to take extra LCC's in the field? Of course when the extra time taken is not an issue.
I would also be very interested if anyone knows of a direct comparison of a MFSLR, and a tech camera like the Alpa TC in regards to IQ. I have a general idea of the pros and cons of both systems, but how much improvement to image quality is there when both systems are using the same focal lengths. As you may read in to this question, I am trying to talk myself into buying a tech set-up.

rp

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Some added benefits of shooting LCC's in the field are that if you want to you can use this for white balance and also leverage automated dust removal in tools like Capture One Pro too.

With respect to image quality differences - aside the simpler lens designs, it's pure physics. There is no moving mirror, shutter curtain, retrofocus lens design required to clear the mirror box, aperture stop down or AF junk to deal with.

yaya

Thank you Yair for your quick response.

That is just the info I was after, in the studio with strobes sounds perfect. Are there any situations were you would think it would be very beneficial to take extra LCC's in the field? Of course when the extra time taken is not an issue.
I would also be very interested if anyone knows of a direct comparison of a MFSLR, and a tech camera like the Alpa TC in regards to IQ. I have a general idea of the pros and cons of both systems, but how much improvement to image quality is there when both systems are using the same focal lengths. As you may read in to this question, I am trying to talk myself into buying a tech set-up.

rp
LCCs shot in the studio will typically have less noise than ones shot at long-ish (or long) exposures and this can help in introducing less noise into the final result. A large softbox in front of the lens and a good diffuser filter will yield the best results.

However if you're in the field and let's say take 2-3 shots at f8 with 7mm rise and then take an LCC shot straight after, you may have an easy time editing, sorting and processing afterwards and as Graham says you can use them for WB as they will have the same Kº and tint value as the real images

Yair

rhsu

I have created stock files of LCC with no movements (tilt, shift, swing, rise/fall) - with a soft box pointing directly at the LCC and noting the f-stops.

When I apply movements on location, then the last shot would be for the LCC - as per above suggestions. Works really well. Just a bit of discpline.

Enjoy...