The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 45-90 f/4.5 D?

coulombic

Hi guys. I recently hopped into the world of medium format, upgrading from my 1Ds III and 5Ds to a 645DF and a P65+. I've purchased the Mamiya Sekor 28mm f/4.5 D, the 80mm f/2.8 LS, the 75-150mm f/4.5 D, the 24mm f/4 fisheye, and the 55-110mm. One of these does not belong with the rest. . . can you guess which it is?

The 55-110mm is awful. Contrast and sharpness are lackluster. I've tried it a few times, but due to the abysmal results, I found myself quickly looking for a better replacement. Late-night Google-searching brought me to the 45-90mm f/4.5 D. Now, there seems to be a fair bit of ambiguity concerning this lens. . . was it actually made? And, if so, how is the performance? I'm looking for something that's of similar performance to the 75-150mm.

On a different note, I'd like to mention specific modifications I've made, or have in mind. First, as an avid hiker (prone to spend days away from a wall socket), I realized the stock 2500 mAh batteries were not up-to-standard for my purposes. There are many batteries that share the same slide rails and terminals, but are restricted by the curved sidewall of the battery compartment on the P65+. Thus, a compromise was necessary.

I ordered four, 7500 mAh batteries from Amazon, and figured, "what the hell, I'll make this work." Some thinking and some creative cutting with my multitool, and I was able to notch a groove into the side of the batteries wide enough to accommodate the curve of the DB's battery compartment. Sweet. I now use 7500 mAh batteries (not so ergonomic, however).

Second thought, I've yet to attempt, as it will actually require physical modification of something a bit more pricey. There's another thread around about outfitting the 28mm lens with Lee grads. Well, really, I think what we all know is that damn metal shroud has to go. With that said, the plan is to remove the shroud, then fashion a mount for the filter holder. Yes, I do realize the lens is quite bulbous, and this could still prove to be a tedious task. Any suggestions, thoughts here? You know, other than, "the 28mm is expensive, you are insane."

Back to the original topic -- the 45-90mm f/4.5 D. Information regarding this lens would be appreciated.

yaya

The 45-90mm f4.5D never happened. It might appear in the future but there's no concrete timeframe as yet.
This looks like wishful thinking on Adorama's and B&H's part since it was announced in June 08'

Regarding the 28mm you can try using a spare lens cap as a base for your filter holder

Yair

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
And not all 55-110's are awful. If you're willing to go through a few, you can find a good one.

coulombic

That's a shame about the 45-90mm. I'd seen it listed, but read a lot of conflicting information which left me uncertain as to its existence.

I have another question which I'm sure one of you will be able to help me with -- I've recently received my Mamiya Sekor 24mm f/4 ULD lens, as well. The lens is manual focus, with manual aperture control, as well. No big deal, really. However, I cannot seem to figure out how to make the 645DF shoot without having electronic contact with a lens. It's the damnedest thing. I have tried the different "camera modes," looked through the custom functions, settings, etc. And, really, I can't seem to find anything relevant to what I need. I am at an impasse.

As mentioned before, I'm shooting with a P65+ and a 645DF. Some help getting the 24mm to function would be greatly appreciated.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If you are shooting with the 24mm and/or other older manual focus lenses and the DF won't fire, even in manual mode, then you might need to check your firmware version. I just got bitten by this after upgrading my 645DF firmware to v1.14 from v1.01 which worked just fine with all lenses. There is a known bug with v1.14 with this and apparently the latest v1.21 fixes the problem.

Last edited:

coulombic

If you are shooting with the 24mm and/or other older manual focus lenses and the DF won't fire, even in manual mode, then you might need to check your firmware version. I just got bitten by this after upgrading my 645DF firmware to v1.14 from v1.01 which worked just fine with all lenses. There is a known bug with v1.14 with this and apparently the latest v1.21 fixes the problem.
Thanks, Graham. I've been going crazy, trying to get this to work. Do you happen to know where I can get the newest firmware?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Need to do one of two things either use a V grip or need to send the DF into Phase in NY . I know but only takes a few days to have it back in your hands. Contact your dealer for this service or Phase directly

coulombic

Need to do one of two things either use a V grip or need to send the DF into Phase in NY . I know but only takes a few days to have it back in your hands. Contact your dealer for this service or Phase directly
So, there's no way for me to update my own firmware, here? While sending it in to have it done isn't an extremely large issue for most, it is for me. I spend about 330+ days out of the US a year. Hmm.

coulombic

Hmm. Well, damn. I can't see any specific use for the V-Grip for myself; certainly has its uses, but as more of a landscape guy, it's not particularly relevant to my style. Guess I'll need to send in my camera (utter ridiculousness).

GrahamWelland

I don't know where you purchased your P65+/645DF and lenses but if it was new from a dealer then I'd be pretty confident that they'd send you a V Grip to 'evaluate' for a couple of days ... ;)

coulombic

Indeed, I purchased my setup from a dealer -- Optechs Digital. I sent Paul an email about this; seems likely he won't have a problem with letting me "demo" one for a week, or so.

GrahamWelland

Well, I'm also an Optechs Digital customer and this is exactly what they did for me, with the explicit understanding that I'd use it to update my firmware anyways. You have a full service dealer and they are always extremely helpful in my experience. In your case, they can do the firmware upgrades for you in Seattle too btw. It wouldn't need the trip back to Phase One.

kdphotography

Definitely easier to borrow/rent a V-grip to update firmware than send a camera body in, albeit only to your dealer. Doug Peterson from Capture Integration just updated my 645DF yesterday here in Carmel. (He gave an awesome C1 Pro 6 class btw).