The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PODAS Death Valley April 3-8th

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have the only 80 mpx shot in the world of the racetrack rocks. Have a lot of images to work on when I get home. I brought the blue towel from the pool for folks to use. No one wanted to carry it but heck I made use of it. LOL

Guy Mancuso

World's only images from a IQ 180 Phase Back of Death Valleys famous racetrack area. This is a focus stack of 5 frames from the new 35mmD lens.

dchew

Well I must say, what an experience. New friends, new images, new techniques and new cameras, lenses & backs. Caught every sunrise and almost every sunset. This is not a workshop; it's an adventure! I recommend it to anyone who has the opportunity.

Guy, Drew and Kevin were great. And as an added plus I got to meet Wayne Fox who has helped me vicariously with printing issues over the years. Nice Jeep Wayne, we'll have to do a Rubicon duel some day.

I promised to post some tech camera images. Here are three, one from each lens I used: 23HR (borrowed from Kevin Raber), 43xl and 100HR. I only used the 23 for about 1/2 hour, but hopefully this shows the light and color with/without LCC. Seemed like a very nice lens, but too wide for me. All these images are on an Alpa STC with a P65+ (the IQ180 demo had no functioning comm port for triggering with a tech camera).

23HR no LCC:

23HR with LCC:
http://www.davechewphotography.com/temp_images/DChew_0312015831_23HR_lcc v.jpg

43xl 4 image focus stitch:

100HR
Last morning another participant (Grant) and I drove back to the dunes. Got some good light but I'm not quick enough yet with the Alpa. Grant had a 5DII and a 35-350L. Talk about two different ways of shooting!!

And one more 100HR (3-image focus stitch):

A great time was had by all!

Dave

Don't know why the 23 with LCC became a link. Probably pilot error...?

Terry

Dave,
That drive back out to the dunes was sooooooo worth it. That shot is superb.
23HR does get really wide but I like it except for the price!!!!

Guy Mancuso

Damn where was I . David stellar on the dunes that morning.

David thanks very much for posting images and such. It was great to hang out with you and hopefully teach you a thing or two. You really seem to enjoy working with the Alpa and I wish you happy shooting with that system. Now you have a nice back to work with and soon the IQ 180. Great choice I think you will make the best of it too. It was fun being on a PODAS workshop outside of our own and helping folks learn more about these systems and photography in general. Hope others will post some shots as well.

Here are some of mine from the week. I posted some of these already but be nice to see a stream of them. Here we go.

cng

the IQ180 demo had no functioning comm port for triggering with a tech camera
So no-one got to test the IQ180 on a tech camera? Pity, I was curious about what the sensor casts would be like compared to the P65.

I assume that Live View was also not enabled on the demo back?

Guy Mancuso

No the port management was not on this prototype. We will know soon enough come the end of the month when they ship. Denmark has tested this though with no known problems as far as we know. Best report I got so far. I would also bet on a C1 update as well by than with final profiles for it.

rga

If no live view, how clear was the screen for post shot near/far focus (at say 150%)?
Thanks,
Bob

Guy and Dave,

I enjoyed your shots! A pleasure indeed to finally meet you both. And Kevin.
What a great time it was! But I'm sober again.

Here are a couple of my efforts from Death Valley. ALPA STC, P65+ with Schneider 72mm L Digitar.

Many thanks to Paul at Optechs for getting that iPhone holder delivered in time for the trip!

For the culturally curious, here's a shot of our superb PODAS workshop lodgings at Furnace Creek. Their food and drink was top notch, as were Kevin Raber's logistics:

K

KWR Phase One

It seems like only yesterday we were in Death Valley shooting. On behalf of Phase One and as the PODAS leader, I'd like to thank Guy for his contributions and time he gave to making this workshop a success. We had a splendid week with excellent light and a lot of adventures. All of us have walked off from this workshop with new friends and great images. You can view the adventure at www.podas.info. We have a number of workshops this year and few we haven't announced yet, so stay tuned. If you have ever wanted to have a chance to shoot with medium format 60MP plus systems then this is the workshop for you. You will make friends with a bunch of great people who like you have a passion for photography. Best of all you have no worries as the PODAS team takes care of everything for you. Thanks Guy and Jack (who was an instructor) last year. This forum and your overall dedication to helping photographers doesn't go unrecognized and unappreciated. A tip of my hat to you!

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Guy and Dave,

I enjoyed your shots! A pleasure indeed to finally meet you both. And Kevin.
What a great time it was! But I'm sober again.

Here are a couple of my efforts from Death Valley. ALPA STC, P65+ with Schneider 72mm L Digitar.

Many thanks to Paul at Optechs for getting that iPhone holder delivered in time for the trip!

For the culturally curious, here's a shot of our superb PODAS workshop lodgings at Furnace Creek. Their food and drink was top notch, as were Kevin Raber's logistics:

David,
Stunning Images!

Lance,

Thanks for your comment!

Upon reviewing these photos I see that the first one (Zabriskie Point sunset) was not shot with the Alpa and 72mm. Obviously it was zoomed a bit, taken with the Phase 645DF/P65+ and the lens supplied with our kit at the workshop. Gotta start taking notes... And Jay Maisel would have bawled me out for leaving the spurious palm branch at the left centre of the lodge photo :)=

Kindly,
David

B

Brent Siebenaler

Well Guy you got me to sign up. I just wanted to say it was a pleasure meeting you and had a blast on the Death Valley trip I will be posting photos soon. I make sure I note which ones were shot on the IQ180 back! Oh and I just read about the new feature coming on the actual unit(not the prototype)and you will be amazed. It's going to be an exciting year with this camera.

dchew

David,
Great images! I love the left-edge branch. Break the rules. :p

I like what you've done to bring out the subtle contrast in all three photos.

Brent, good to see you here, but stop being a tease. I've already heard about the transporter.

"Beam me up Drew-meister."

Dave