The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bellows and/or view camera options for Mamyia 645

J

jamesdfloyd

Greetings,

I just joined this forum, so if my question has been asked numerous times before I apologies in advance.

I am looking for opinions on using my Mamiya 645 AFDii and Phase One back on either the Mamiya Auto Bellows or a View camera. Point of clarification; I am not interested in Macro work, only Landscape & Architectural and want to make use of the typical tilts, shifts and swings movements.

I know that the Hartblei 45mm lens is an option, but I know that as soon as I buy that lens, I will "discover" the limits of the lens when compared to the view camera options.

Questions: 1) is the Mamiya Auto Bellows a viable option and if so, are there any problems using Mamiya lenses with it. 2) On the view camera option, has anyone had any luck with the Mamiya camera to view camera via the adaptor, verses the Digital Back to view camera adaptor.

Thanks,

J.D. Floyd

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Welcome to the forum!

I am looking for opinions on using my Mamiya 645 AFDii and Phase One back on either the Mamiya Auto Bellows or a View camera. Point of clarification; I am not interested in Macro work, only Landscape & Architectural and want to make use of the typical tilts, shifts and swings movements.

I know that the Hartblei 45mm lens is an option, but I know that as soon as I buy that lens, I will "discover" the limits of the lens when compared to the view camera options.

Questions: 1) is the Mamiya Auto Bellows a viable option and if so, are there any problems using Mamiya lenses with it.
Auto bellows is absolutely the wrong tool for this. It extends the lens from the body and therefore loses infinity focus on any wide angle lens. It is intended specifically for high magnification macro work.

You want a tech camera such as the Cambo Wide RS or Arca Swiss RM3Di which are designed exclusively for landscape/interior/architecture.

The Mamiya 50mm Shift, Hartblei/Phase 45mm and other medium format body based systems can never compare to the quality of Rodenstock/Schneider large format lenses.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
2) On the view camera option, has anyone had any luck with the Mamiya camera to view camera via the adaptor, verses the Digital Back to view camera adaptor.
You're refering to tools such as the Cambo X-2. These are great for table-top, product, still life, and macro. But you cannot use them with wide angle lenses.

Google "flange distance" which is the distance between sensor/film and lens to understand why you can't use the auto bellows or systems like the X-2 for wide angle infinity.

Depending on where you are we'd be happy to show you a tech camera which is ideal (by design) for what you want to do.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off